ZWO EAF

Steve Mastellotto

Has anyone installed a ZWO EAF on an Astro-Physics 130mm f6.3 StarFire GTX "Gran Turismo" with 3.5" Focuser? If so did you buy a custom mounting bracket?

Thanks,
Steve

Chris White

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 04:08 PM, Steve Mastellotto wrote:

Has anyone installed a ZWO EAF on an Astro-Physics 130mm f6.3 StarFire GTX "Gran Turismo" with 3.5" Focuser? If so did you buy a custom mounting bracket?

Thanks,
Steve

 I've owned the zwo eaf. It's a really cheapo motor. I won't use the word garbage for fear of upsetting those who like it.

The gtx doesn't have a great mounting surface for motor brackets with the rounded pinion housing. You would need to 3d print an adapter.

I'd recommend looking at an optec focus motor. 1micron step vs 4 micron step (eaf) and much much better quality.

Frost David

Ditto on the Optec.  Get the one with the focus controller built in, no extra boxes needed. It’s what I use and it’s fantastic. Considerably better than an EAF, and I have both.
David

On Sep 27, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 04:08 PM, Steve Mastellotto wrote:

Has anyone installed a ZWO EAF on an Astro-Physics 130mm f6.3 StarFire GTX "Gran Turismo" with 3.5" Focuser? If so did you buy a custom mounting bracket?

Thanks,
Steve

 I've owned the zwo eaf. It's a really cheapo motor. I won't use the word garbage for fear of upsetting those who like it.

The gtx doesn't have a great mounting surface for motor brackets with the rounded pinion housing. You would need to 3d print an adapter.

I'd recommend looking at an optec focus motor. 1micron step vs 4 micron step (eaf) and much much better quality.

Ram

You do need a custom mounting bracket for the ZWO EAF focuser for the GTX. You may need to 3d print it/machine an adapter base as the bottom of the GTX focuser is curved and hard to attach the ZWO bracket directly.

I've standardized on the ZWO focuser for all my scopes. It draws its power from USB and doesn't require an external box. This makes for a compact setup.

I used to have a hodge podge of various focusers/controllers from optec, robofocus etc. They'e all been replaced by the ZWO.

Bill Long

Standardizing on focus motors is defintely a huge win.

You do need a custom mounting bracket for the ZWO EAF focuser for the GTX. You may need to 3d print it/machine an adapter base as the bottom of the GTX focuser is curved and hard to attach the ZWO bracket directly.

I've standardized on the ZWO focuser for all my scopes. It draws its power from USB and doesn't require an external box. This makes for a compact setup.

I used to have a hodge podge of various focusers/controllers from optec, robofocus etc. They'e all been replaced by the ZWO.

Steve Mastellotto

Thanks Ram.  I really like the ZWO eco system and have the Air and ASI cameras, filter wheel, etc. so I want to stick with it if at all possible.  Do you have or know of a drawing for the bracket.

Steve

Richard Hennig

Dear Steve,

The adapter that comes with the ZWO EAF works fine on the 3.5” focuser of the 130GTX. I am attaching two photos below. If you want to see some of my images that use this focuser and either N.I.N.A. or the ASIAIR Pro for autofocus, please take a look at my Astrobin page at:

I am sure that the Optec would have a higher lift capacity and smaller hysteresis but for fine focus and reproducibility, I have no issues with the ZWO EAF. Eventually I might move to an Optec too but I am in no rush.

Best wishes,
Richard

—
Richard G. Hennig
Professor and Alumni Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Associate Director, Quantum Theory Project
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida
Email: rhennig@...
Web: http://hennig.mse.ufl.edu

On Sep 27, 2022, at 6:56 PM, Steve Mastellotto via groups.io <smastellotto@...> wrote:

Thanks Ram.  I really like the ZWO eco system and have the Air and ASI cameras, filter wheel, etc. so I want to stick with it if at all possible.  Do you have or know of a drawing for the bracket.

Steve

Arvind

An off the shelf bracket should work.. I don't remember 3d printing a custom bracket for the EAF. Here's a screengrab from an older picture from my setup. I'd try a Tak bracket  (I've only ordered that separately, other than the regular ones included in the box).

image.png

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Ram <ramviswanathan@...> wrote:
I've standardized on the ZWO focuser for all my scopes. It draws its power from USB and doesn't require an external box. This makes for a compact setup.

I used to have a hodge podge of various focusers/controllers from optec, robofocus etc. They'e all been replaced by the ZWO.

Same here. Reminds me.. I still have all those other focusers sitting unused in my closet (Optec, Pegasus, ..), so will start listing them on AM in the near future.

J. Belden

Yes, another vote for the Optec, cleaner look and accurate positioning.  I have a ZWO EAF on another scope, you get what you pay for is all I will say.  The Optec is nice because of the twist clutch engage/disengage something the EAF doesn’t do.
My thoughts were I waited for a long time for my 130GTX, plus spent some money so why cheap out on the focuser motor controller.

Joe

Ross Salinger

My EAF has a little hand controller that lets me move the focuser when I want to do so. Admittedly, I have the Optec FocusLynx on my AP155 but I have to say that the EAF is a real bargain for the money and works well on my two little scopes.

Rgrds-Ross

On 9/27/2022 7:28 PM, J. Belden via groups.io wrote:

Yes, another vote for the Optec, cleaner look and accurate positioning.  I have a ZWO EAF on another scope, you get what you pay for is all I will say.  The Optec is nice because of the twist clutch engage/disengage something the EAF doesn’t do.
My thoughts were I waited for a long time for my 130GTX, plus spent some money so why cheap out on the focuser motor controller.

Joe

Steve Mastellotto

Thanks Richard for this reply, link and pictures.  I was worried about only one screw holding the bracket onto the focuser but it looks like it is not an issue for you.  I will give it a go and test this weekend!

Steve

Steve Mastellotto

Thanks for all the replies everyone - very helpful.  I looks like I have a couple of options including an easy one that I did not think would work.

Steve