Wizard Widefield RGB

Chris White

Edited

ASI6200MM + 130GTX + Field Flattener- 300s x 124
ASI2600 + Stowaway + 0.8x Telecompressor- 180s x 205

I have a new appreciation for this target.  Usually it is imaged in narrowband and there are not a ton of broadband examples out there.  I never realized just how dense the starfield is around this target, although with it's location it should not be a surprise.

It was quite a battle finding the balance between stars and nebula, but thanks to RC Astro StarX I was able to process each component separately.

This is my second project using my GTX to gather Lumanance and my Stowaway to Gather Color Data.  Once again I have the annoying fringe of color on stars where the slightly distorted Stowaway field wouldn't perfectly register with the GTX.  I'm doubling down on my efforts to dial out tilt of any sort, and maybe this will help a bit.

High resolution here: https://www.astrobin.com/re81ax/0/

C&C Welcome.

Stuart

Very cool shot Chris!!

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 at 19:22, Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
ASI6200MM + 130GTX + Field Flattener- 300s x 124
ASI2600 + Stowaway + 0.8x Telecompressor- 180s x 205

This is my second image with the GTX for Lum and a Stowaway for Color.

I have a new appreciation for this target.  Usually it is imaged in narrowband and there are not a ton of broadband examples out there.  I never realized just how dense the starfield is around this target, although with it's location it should not be a surprise.

It was quite a battle finding the balance between stars and nebula, but thanks to RC Astro StarX I was able to process each component separately.

High resolution here: https://www.astrobin.com/re81ax/0/

This is my second project using my GTX to gather Lumanance and my Stowaway to Gather Color Data.  Once again I have the annoying fringe of color on stars where the slightly distorted Stowaway field wouldn't perfectly register with the GTX.  I'm doubling down on my efforts to dial out tilt of any sort, and maybe this will help a bit.

C&C Welcome.

Pete Lardizabal

Awesome field Chris!

Great fun exploring the full size image. 😁

Pete

On Nov 21, 2021, at 7:22 PM, Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

There is always distortion of a star's position in any optical system that uses flatteners, compressors or coma correctors close to the focal plane. It's usually around 1% or so at the edges of the field. Flatteners produce less, compressors produce more. Because of the variables between different optical systems it is not always possible to register the stars across wide fields. There are programs that can modify an image so that the stars all fit a reference image. Programs like Registax comes to mind.

P.S. Distortion does not refer to the roundness of stars, rather it refers to positions of the stars across the field.

[...]

Thanks Roland.

I collected about 6 hours of data on this target using the stowaway field flattener and that data registered perfectly with the gtx field flattener data.   In my review of all the data sets I think I may be able to improve the reduced stowaway data by putting extra effort into dialing in tilt as well as spacing.

Worst case, when I want to use both scopes for the same image I'll use the flattener with the stowaway. It's a little smaller fov with aps-c on that and full frame on my gtx, but the data is beautiful. :-)