Venus and the Crescent Moon, October 9

Alan

The pairing of the crescent Moon and Venus just after sunset tonight is getting a lot of publicity. I suspect most folks here have enjoyed spotting Venus during the daytime, but if you haven't, or it's slid off your radar, the Moon will also provide a good landmark for spotting Venus in today's daytime sky.

From my location near Schenectady, NY, Venus will be due south and highest at 3:41 P.M. EDT, and will lie 1-1/2-degrees below and a bit right of the crescent Moon.

I usually set up to the east of my house when Venus is in the evening sky, so the Sun is out of sight and I and the telescope are in the shade. Alas, the weather prospects here are poor. I hope others have better luck!

Clear skies, Alan

Stuart

Thanks for the reminder Alan! Alas we in Southern Ontario have the same weather forecast you have.

Stuart

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
The pairing of the crescent Moon and Venus just after sunset tonight is getting a lot of publicity. I suspect most folks here have enjoyed spotting Venus during the daytime, but if you haven't, or it's slid off your radar, the Moon will also provide a good landmark for spotting Venus in today's daytime sky.

From my location near Schenectady, NY, Venus will be due south and highest at 3:41 P.M. EDT, and will lie 1-1/2-degrees below and a bit right of the crescent Moon.

I usually set up to the east of my house when Venus is in the evening sky, so the Sun is out of sight and I and the telescope are in the shade. Alas, the weather prospects here are poor. I hope others have better luck!

Clear skies, Alan

Roland Christen

Alas and alack it will be cloudy here as well.

Rolando Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Thanks for the reminder Alan! Alas we in Southern Ontario have the same weather forecast you have.

Stuart

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
The pairing of the crescent Moon and Venus just after sunset tonight is getting a lot of publicity. I suspect most folks here have enjoyed spotting Venus during the daytime, but if you haven't, or it's slid off your radar, the Moon will also provide a good landmark for spotting Venus in today's daytime sky.

From my location near Schenectady, NY, Venus will be due south and highest at 3:41 P.M. EDT, and will lie 1-1/2-degrees below and a bit right of the crescent Moon.

--

thefamily90 Phillips

Here too!

Alas and alack it will be cloudy here as well.

Rolando Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Thanks for the reminder Alan! Alas we in Southern Ontario have the same weather forecast you have.

Stuart

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
The pairing of the crescent Moon and Venus just after sunset tonight is getting a lot of publicity. I suspect most folks here have enjoyed spotting Venus during the daytime, but if you haven't, or it's slid off your radar, the Moon will also provide a good landmark for spotting Venus in today's daytime sky.

From my location near Schenectady, NY, Venus will be due south and highest at 3:41 P.M. EDT, and will lie 1-1/2-degrees below and a bit right of the crescent Moon.

I usually set up to the east of my house when Venus is in the evening sky, so the Sun is out of sight and I and the telescope are in the shade. Alas, the weather prospects here are poor. I hope others have better luck!

Clear skies, Alan

Jim Phillips

Joseph Beyer

For those clouded out.  It was a beautiful night here on the west coast, finally!

Manusfisch

Edited

Joseph, thanks so much for the shared experience, What is all set up on my Mach 1 and clouds rolled in just as I was getting prepped

TJF Mobile

On Oct 10, 2021, at 12:45, Joseph Beyer <jcbeyer2001@...> wrote:

For those clouded out.  It was a beautiful night here on the west coast, finally!

Roland Christen

Great shot!
Clouded out here.

For those clouded out.  It was a beautiful night here on the west coast, finally!

Karen Christen

Although Roland and Marj are clouded out, a few friends and I are at AP-Pacific (Marj & Roland’s Hawaii home) and thoroughly enjoyed the entire sky, including Venus and the Moon last night.  😉

Karen

AP

For those clouded out.  It was a beautiful night here on the west coast, finally!

Joseph Beyer

It was a nice change to have cool temps and a sky not covered with smoke and haze.

Christopher M

Very nice Joseph.  Thanks for posting that.