Variations on the Cone Nebula

Alex

Ok, another clear night allowing me to finish up another target, the cone nebula.

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/

I’m overall happy with it, but there is one thing bugging me and that’s the OIII blob on the right side of the frame.  When showing it to the wife and kid, they find it to be a distraction from the rest of the image as it pops out compared with the more ethereal pastel coloring of the rest of the image.  On the other hand, I’m not finding many Cone Nebula image that include it, making it more unique.  On the third hand, perhaps people don’t include it for a reason?  Here's a cropped version as well.  Any opinions one way or another?

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/B/

Alex

Stuart

Alex, I think this is a super result! I don’t find the inclusion of the OIII on the right side distracting or detracting.

Stuart

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:48 PM Alex <groups@...> wrote:
Ok, another clear night allowing me to finish up another target, the cone nebula.

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/

I’m overall happy with it, but there is one thing bugging me and that’s the OIII blob on the right side of the frame.  When showing it to the wife and kid, they find it to be a distraction from the rest of the image as it pops out compared with the more ethereal pastel coloring of the rest of the image.  On the other hand, I’m not finding many Cone Nebula image that include it, making it more unique.  On the third hand, perhaps people don’t include it for a reason?  Here's a cropped version as well.  Any opinions one way or another?

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/B/

Alex

Karen Christen

What Stuart said.  What a cool image.

Karen

AP

[...]

I like the wider image. It really shows the whole area better.

Ok, another clear night allowing me to finish up another target, the cone nebula.

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/

I’m overall happy with it, but there is one thing bugging me and that’s the OIII blob on the right side of the frame.  When showing it to the wife and kid, they find it to be a distraction from the rest of the image as it pops out compared with the more ethereal pastel coloring of the rest of the image.  On the other hand, I’m not finding many Cone Nebula image that include it, making it more unique.  On the third hand, perhaps people don’t include it for a reason?  Here's a cropped version as well.  Any opinions one way or another?

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/B/

Alex

ROBERT WYNNE

Very nice. Looks a bit like the kitchen countertops.- Best, Robert

On 01/12/2022 2:48 PM Alex <groups@...> wrote:

Ok, another clear night allowing me to finish up another target, the cone nebula.

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/

I’m overall happy with it, but there is one thing bugging me and that’s the OIII blob on the right side of the frame.  When showing it to the wife and kid, they find it to be a distraction from the rest of the image as it pops out compared with the more ethereal pastel coloring of the rest of the image.  On the other hand, I’m not finding many Cone Nebula image that include it, making it more unique.  On the third hand, perhaps people don’t include it for a reason?  Here's a cropped version as well.  Any opinions one way or another?

https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/B/

Alex

midmoastro

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 04:48 PM, Alex wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/qheae1/
Agree with everyone else, wonderful work on this. Really outstanding.

weems@...

Try cropping the top just enough to get rid of the bright star at top right, then rotate it 180 degrees.

Chip

ROBERT WYNNE

Couldn't agree more. I too like the rectangular version over the square version. -Best, Robert