Upcoming Big Iron Meeting: papers anyone?

Richard Crisp

Seems like Roland could do a nice survey paper on his designs he’s made over the years and discuss the pros and cons of each. If some insight can be made regarding design to anticipated target glass that one realistically can expect to have available, I believe the paper would be even more valuable.

Of course there are all sorts of topics upon which one could publish a paper, in case anyone is interested. I just suggested one that might motivate me to traipse all the way to Canada to hear a cool paper…

https://spie.org/conferences-and-exhibitions/astronomical-telescopes-and-instrumentation

Roland Christen

We attended one such conference, but there was really no interest in any papers from amateur astronomers. These are guys who operate very large telescopes at various observatories around the world and have no interest in small amateur scopes, especially little refractors.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Oct 8, 2021 12:21 am
Subject: [ap-ug] Upcoming Big Iron Meeting: papers anyone?

Seems like Roland could do a nice survey paper on his designs he’s made over the years and discuss the pros and cons of each. If some insight can be made regarding design to anticipated target glass that one realistically can expect to have available, I believe the paper would be even more valuable.

Of course there are all sorts of topics upon which one could publish a paper, in case anyone is interested. I just suggested one that might motivate me to traipse all the way to Canada to hear a cool paper…

https://spie.org/conferences-and-exhibitions/astronomical-telescopes-and-instrumentation

Dale Ghent

I'll attend just to soak up info and perspectives. There are a few tracts that are pretty interesting to me, AS110 in particular:

Conference AS107
Observatory Operations: Strategies, Processes, and Systems IX

Conference AS108
Modeling, Systems Engineering, and Project Management for Astronomy X

Conference AS110
Software and Cyberinfrastructure for Astronomy VII

On Oct 8, 2021, at 10:54, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

We attended one such conference, but there was really no interest in any papers from amateur astronomers. These are guys who operate very large telescopes at various observatories around the world and have no interest in small amateur scopes, especially little refractors.

Roland

<image001.png>

<image001.png>

Richard Crisp

But they need guidescopes!

“Corrected” by my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Roland

<image001.png>
<image001.png>