The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Roland Christen

... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

Rolando

Christopher Erickson

Yikes!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 9:22 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

Rolando

Chris Cook

If going by ship it might take a while for delivery.
Might want to go by air instead.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
To: <main@ap-gto.groups.io>, <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: 10/13/2021 3:22:45 PM
Subject: [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Rolando

Alan

May it enjoy many transparent, steady nights!

Clear skies, Alan

On 10/13/2021 3:22 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

Rolando

James Stone

Having recently acquired a scope from Hawaii, I have learned you can ship by FedEx “ground” to/from Hawaii, and it’s pretty close to the air delivery options, given the paucity of currently available courier trucks that cross the Pacific Ocean. 

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:30 PM, Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

Chris

Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

Roland Christen

Guess who's going to help me put it together...  Smile

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 2:26 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Yikes!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 9:22 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

Roland Christen

Oh yes, air for sure. Will arrive next Thursday.

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Chris

Rolando

Stuart

Pretty exciting adventure! Hope there are no hiccups en route.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 15:22, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

Alan Friedman

The scopes get bigger but Marj never changes. Safe travels and happy trails!

Alan

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

Roland Christen

True that! She's as pretty as the day I met her. Heart Eyes

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Alan

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

ROBERT WYNNE

Depends on departure date of the ship. Sometimes you can get lucky and ship on a Friday with 2 weeks of travel time. The main problem is getting anything loaded or off loaded from a ship. My cars took 3 weeks to load, sail and unload. But I think I was lucky in planning and execution. -Best, Robert 

On 10/13/2021 12:30 PM Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

Chris

Rolando

ROBERT WYNNE

It's a funny kind of situation for the to and from Hawaii. The distance between the west coast and Hawaii is less than between San Francisco and the east coast. Most people think of Hawaii as a remote destination but it's the opposite situation and think shipping costs to Hawaii might be higher than from coast to coast in the continental US. -Best, Robert

On 10/13/2021 12:37 PM James Stone <jrs7r@...> wrote:

Having recently acquired a scope from Hawaii, I have learned you can ship by FedEx “ground” to/from Hawaii, and it’s pretty close to the air delivery options, given the paucity of currently available courier trucks that cross the Pacific Ocean. 

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:30 PM, Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

Chris

Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

ROBERT WYNNE

Have a good trip. Aloha -Best, Robert

On 10/13/2021 1:30 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

True that! She's as pretty as the day I met her. Heart Eyes

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Alan

Alan Friedman
AvertedImagination.com

Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

Chris Cook

The Honders needs its own first class seat.  ;)

Chris

To: <chris@...>, <main@ap-ug.groups.io>, <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: 10/13/2021 3:47:35 PM

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Chris

Rolando

thefamily90 Phillips

What a beautiful telescope and mount! Wow!!

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Cook <chris@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 5:25:57 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

The Honders needs its own first class seat.  ;)

Chris

To: <chris@...>, <main@ap-ug.groups.io>, <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: 10/13/2021 3:47:35 PM

Roland

Chris

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

M Hambrick

The company I worked for used to fly the ex-pats and their families traveling to and from the US and Germany in business class. Several years ago we had a young German ex-pat come to our site in Texas. She had no family, but she did play the cello and she wanted to bring it with her to Texas. The company bought business class seats for both her and her cello.

Mike

Pete Lardizabal

WOW!!! 

Should be the proper setting for the scope!

Looking forward to Pacific based Honders images. 

😎

Pete

Rolando

Ross Elkins

True that! She's as pretty as the day I met her. Heart Eyes

Rolando

Someone’s looking for a BIG KISS!!!

R

Roland Christen

We have excellent transparency at our observatory and the sky is really dark. The seeing (star scintillation) is not always good, but the Honders is a medium focal length scope (1160mm) so it is ideal for semi-wide field objects. I intend to go extremely deep with it and will be using the fast optics to gather detail in very faint structures.

Rolando

Cc: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 6:29 pm

WOW!!! 

Should be the proper setting for the scope!

Looking forward to Pacific based Honders images. 

😎

Pete

Rolando

Ross Elkins

Hey Rolando, is that an especially made Chromed version of the 1600? That mount is so beyond my needs or pocketbook that I’ve never really looked at various models or options of it or for it…

Just a curious Rossmon