Stowaway guide scope mounting options


Eric Weiner
 

Howdy,

Does anyone use their 10x60 Vario guide scopewith quick release bracket kit on a Stowaway (S1060QRGB)?  If so, how do you mount yours?  It seems like there are 3 options.  Please let me know if I have missed any.

1.  Use the 10x60 Quick Release Bracket (QRBASEG).  I have one on my TOA-130NFB 4" focuser, but it looks quite large to put on a 2.5" focuser.  Thoughts/experience?
2.  Use an AP multi radius quick release bracket (QRBASEM). This seems doable, but won't be as secure/stable as the 10x60 quick release bracket.
3.  Mount the dovetail base of the 10x60 quick release guider bracket directly to a 8" AP Vixen style bar (SBV08), then use the AP 7" V style dovetail saddle to secure it to the top of the Stowaway.

Thoughts?  

Thanks,
Eric


Kurt
 


Eric Weiner
 

Thanks Kurt.  I'm looking for options specific to the 10x60 Vario in the AP cradle.  




Joseph Beyer
 
Edited

There are a number of threaded holes in the bottom of the finder’s small dovetail bar that you could mount to a plate or another bar and bolt that to the top of the Stowaway’s rings.  In that arrangement there always the possibility of differential flexure but both are small scopes so who knows if that’d even be a problem.  Looks like your option #3.

I mount mine directly to the rear of my FSQ-106 OTA with a quick release bracket. 


ROBERT WYNNE
 

The rail on my Baader guidescope probably wouldn't indicate any flex if you put a 15 lb. lateral load on one side with a .0001" dial indicator on the side opposite. - Best, Robert

On 11/22/2021 4:05 PM Joseph Beyer <jcbeyer2001@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

There are a number of threaded holes in the bottom of the finder’s small dovetail bar that you could mount to a plate or another bar and bolt that to the top of the Stowaway’s rings.  In that arrangement there always the possibility of differential flexure but both are small scopes so who knows if that’d even be a problem.  Looks like your option #3.

I mount mine directly to the rear of my FSQ-106 OTA with a quick release bracket. 


John Chakel
 

Hi Eric,

While it isn't the prettiest installation, I have successfully guided with the 1060VGKIT using the QRBASEM on my Stowaway which is option #2 on your list.  It performed its duty without issue.  

CS,
John


Eric Weiner
 

Thank you for forwarding your experience with the QRBASEM John. Much appreciated.

Eric


Christopher M
 

I made a plate from 2" wide by ¼" thick aluminum bar stock, cut, drilled.  Then bolted a QRBaseG onto it to mount my Baader guide scope.  The QRBaseG holds it better I think than the shorter QRBaseM.  The knobs on the plate let me attach and remove it quickly so it does not interfere when the Stowaway in the Pelican case.  Guide scope and mounting plate go in a different box.  No issues - worked really well when doing 15min subs with Canon 6D attached to the Stowaway and a QHY5iii290C as the guider.   


My CCD camera has a built in guider so have never tried guiding it this way.  BUT I plan to keep the Baader Vario finder in Finder mode when using the CCD next time to help me set up and frame targets.  I'm a portable field imager with a non-GoTo mount, so I need a better finder.


Eric Weiner
 

Thanks for sharing your technique Chris. 

On Nov 23, 2021, at 19:37, Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:

I made a plate from 2" wide by ¼" thick aluminum bar stock, cut, drilled.  Then bolted a QRBaseG onto it to mount my Baader guide scope.  The QRBaseG holds it better I think than the shorter QRBaseM.  The knobs on the plate let me attach and remove it quickly so it does not interfere when the Stowaway in the Pelican case.  Guide scope and mounting plate go in a different box.  No issues - worked really well when doing 15min subs with Canon 6D attached to the Stowaway and a QHY5iii290C as the guider.   


My CCD camera has a built in guider so have never tried guiding it this way.  BUT I plan to keep the Baader Vario finder in Finder mode when using the CCD next time to help me set up and frame targets.  I'm a portable field imager with a non-GoTo mount, so I need a better finder.


ROBERT WYNNE
 

Well done. Could I ask why you choose to mount the Baader cantelivered completely towards the front of the OTA? I find there's a bit of flexion when mounted this way. I center mine.  -Best, Robert

On 11/23/2021 6:37 PM Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:


I made a plate from 2" wide by ¼" thick aluminum bar stock, cut, drilled.  Then bolted a QRBaseG onto it to mount my Baader guide scope.  The QRBaseG holds it better I think than the shorter QRBaseM.  The knobs on the plate let me attach and remove it quickly so it does not interfere when the Stowaway in the Pelican case.  Guide scope and mounting plate go in a different box.  No issues - worked really well when doing 15min subs with Canon 6D attached to the Stowaway and a QHY5iii290C as the guider.   


My CCD camera has a built in guider so have never tried guiding it this way.  BUT I plan to keep the Baader Vario finder in Finder mode when using the CCD next time to help me set up and frame targets.  I'm a portable field imager with a non-GoTo mount, so I need a better finder.


Christopher M
 

Mostly weight balance. With the Canon 6D hanging off the focuser and 92FF, as well as the guider camera and cables, I tend to have the VarioGuider forward. While it is all the way forward in the example image I will actually have it a bit further back in the field, especially as I’ve better addressed balance with an SBD12 offset plate and D saddle that lets me move the Stowaway more forward now.  I don’t have a photo of that updated setup, but the mounting for the VarioGuider is still the same.  I entertained bolting two QRBaseG’s or QRBaseM’s in series, but I found I haven’t needed to. Again w 15min subs on the 6D I have not seen any issues with differential.

I mounted a spare ADM Vixen type saddle to the top of an SBD12. This combo gives me enough rise so that the focus knobs do not interfere with the mount’s D saddle if moved forward, and still lets me keep the Vixen type rail on the Stowaway so I can fit it in the Pelican case, and mount it to a PortaMount ii for daytime birding, etc. 
C


On Nov 23, 2021, at 10:23 PM, ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:


Well done. Could I ask why you choose to mount the Baader cantelivered completely towards the front of the OTA? I find there's a bit of flexion when mounted this way. I center mine.  -Best, Robert
On 11/23/2021 6:37 PM Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:


I made a plate from 2" wide by ¼" thick aluminum bar stock, cut, drilled.  Then bolted a QRBaseG onto it to mount my Baader guide scope.  The QRBaseG holds it better I think than the shorter QRBaseM.  The knobs on the plate let me attach and remove it quickly so it does not interfere when the Stowaway in the Pelican case.  Guide scope and mounting plate go in a different box.  No issues - worked really well when doing 15min subs with Canon 6D attached to the Stowaway and a QHY5iii290C as the guider.   


My CCD camera has a built in guider so have never tried guiding it this way.  BUT I plan to keep the Baader Vario finder in Finder mode when using the CCD next time to help me set up and frame targets.  I'm a portable field imager with a non-GoTo mount, so I need a better finder.


Christopher M
 

This isn't a great picture, but it might give a better idea of why it looks forward in the photo from my living room, but is actually set up more balance when in the field.  Please excuse the rats nest of cables.  That is another project I'm working on.


Christopher M
 

And FYI, here's another photo of how I'm using the SBD12 with a Vixen saddle that I had handy.  This lets me move the whole kit forward on the D saddle of the mount while still giving clearance for the focuser.  It does not have enough clearance to rotate the Stowaway's focuser unless I use a counterweight up front.  But I typically keep the focuser in place and rotate the camera, if I have to, which is usually rarely.


ROBERT WYNNE
 

Love the rats nest. Means something is going on. The photo makes more sense now than the original. I used to be called the Michelangelo of the cable harness in my CAT scanner days years ago. It takes a while to sort out an optimal cable arraignment and then tie wrap all into a parallel assembly which can be neatly heat shrunk if desired. -Best, Robert

On 11/24/2021 6:23 PM Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:


This isn't a great picture, but it might give a better idea of why it looks forward in the photo from my living room, but is actually set up more balance when in the field.  Please excuse the rats nest of cables.  That is another project I'm working on.


M Hambrick
 

Here is a photo of my Stowaway imaging train, but this might be a good example of what not to do. There is the potential for some serious flexure in this setup, but I think that it has more to do with the weight of the imaging camera and the distance that the focuser drawtube is racked out rather than the differential flexure between the scopes themselves.

The imaging / guiding train is as follows:
  1. Stowaway Imaging Scope
  2. SBIG STXL16200 main imaging camera with standard FW8s filter wheel
  3. Tele-Vue Pronto (70mm F6.86) guide scope
  4. SBIG ST2000-XM guide camera
The mounting hardware is as follows:
  1. DOVELM162 attached to DEC top plate.
  2. The Stowaway rings are attached to a SB0800 (used as a spacer) which is attached to a SBD12 dovetail plate. This in turn attaches to the DOVELM162
  3. On top of the Stowaway rings is a SBV08 (used as a spacer) on top of which is attached a DOVE15
  4. The Pronto is held in a set of Parallax rings which are attached to a SB1500 dovetail plate with 7/8" X 7/8" spacers in between.
The Pronto is a really heavy scope compared to the Baader Vario-Finder. On top of that, the ST2000 makes for a very heavy guide camera.

Because the main imaging camera extends so far below the bottom of the SBD12, it has to be positioned so that the front of the filter wheel is at least 4-3/4 inches from the back of the DOVELM162 to avoid colliding with the RA gearbox on the mount. This makes the system excessively rear heavy. To offset this, the Pronto / ST2000 has to be positioned way forward in the DOVE15 in order to be able to achieve balance in the DEC axis.

I am currently in the process of gathering up the hardware needed to convert this setup to a tandem arrangement.



ROBERT WYNNE
 

Doubt if you have much if any flex in your set up. It would be very informative if someone who has all the big toys would put a dial indicator on the region suspected of flexing to see what if any flex is obtained. The only person with the gear to do a set up of the whole test rig would likely be Roland. -Best, Robert

On 11/26/2021 3:55 PM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:


Here is a photo of my Stowaway imaging train, but this might be a good example of what not to do. There is the potential for some serious flexure in this setup, but I think that it has more to do with the weight of the imaging camera and the distance that the focuser drawtube is racked out rather than the differential flexure between the scopes themselves.

The imaging / guiding train is as follows:
  1. Stowaway Imaging Scope
  2. SBIG STXL16200 main imaging camera with standard FW8s filter wheel
  3. Tele-Vue Pronto (70mm F6.86) guide scope
  4. SBIG ST2000-XM guide camera
The mounting hardware is as follows:
  1. DOVELM162 attached to DEC top plate.
  2. The Stowaway rings are attached to a SB0800 (used as a spacer) which is attached to a SBD12 dovetail plate. This in turn attaches to the DOVELM162
  3. On top of the Stowaway rings is a SBV08 (used as a spacer) on top of which is attached a DOVE15
  4. The Pronto is held in a set of Parallax rings which are attached to a SB1500 dovetail plate with 7/8" X 7/8" spacers in between.
The Pronto is a really heavy scope compared to the Baader Vario-Finder. On top of that, the ST2000 makes for a very heavy guide camera.

Because the main imaging camera extends so far below the bottom of the SBD12, it has to be positioned so that the front of the filter wheel is at least 4-3/4 inches from the back of the DOVELM162 to avoid colliding with the RA gearbox on the mount. This makes the system excessively rear heavy. To offset this, the Pronto / ST2000 has to be positioned way forward in the DOVE15 in order to be able to achieve balance in the DEC axis.

I am currently in the process of gathering up the hardware needed to convert this setup to a tandem arrangement.



M Hambrick
 

That's an interesting suggestion Robert. I have a dial indicator that is graduated to 0.0005". That might be sensitive enough to detect any flexure that might cause a problem. I just need to find a way to attach it to a reference point. There is not enough ferrous material in the setup to use a magnetic base.

Mike