Topics

Springtime friend...

Pete Lardizabal

Hello AP Group,

Weather across the USA is always in a state of flux this time of year. Here in North Florida we had highs in the low 90°s a few days ago and we are likely to be on the upper 30°s tomorrow morning!

Our Bluebirds have already raised one brood and are busy feeding the second brood. One male Ruby Throated Hummingbird arrived last weekend. Late this afternoon I found a few minutes and setup the AP Stowaway. The attached image was captured at prime focus with the Stowaway and the Canon EOS R. Tweaked with PS Express in the iPhone.

Happy Easter 🐣

Beautiful shot Pete!!!

Bluebirds are only now arriving here.

Stuart

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Hello AP Group,

Weather across the USA is always in a state of flux this time of year. Here in North Florida we had highs in the low 90°s a few days ago and we are likely to be on the upper 30°s tomorrow morning!

Our Bluebirds have already raised one brood and are busy feeding the second brood. One male Ruby Throated Hummingbird arrived last weekend. Late this afternoon I found a few minutes and setup the AP Stowaway. The attached image was captured at prime focus with the Stowaway and the Canon EOS R. Tweaked with PS Express in the iPhone.

Happy Easter 🐣

Thanks Stuart 🙏🏻

Good luck with your Bluebirds!

Pete

On Apr 2, 2021, at 7:48 PM, Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

Beautiful shot Pete!!!

Bluebirds are only now arriving here.

Stuart

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Hello AP Group,

Weather across the USA is always in a state of flux this time of year. Here in North Florida we had highs in the low 90°s a few days ago and we are likely to be on the upper 30°s tomorrow morning!

Our Bluebirds have already raised one brood and are busy feeding the second brood. One male Ruby Throated Hummingbird arrived last weekend. Late this afternoon I found a few minutes and setup the AP Stowaway. The attached image was captured at prime focus with the Stowaway and the Canon EOS R. Tweaked with PS Express in the iPhone.

Happy Easter 🐣

I’m amazed you got that great shot of that bird, Pete!

I understand they are quite deadly :-)

Joseph Beyer

Amazing shot Pete.  We have Anna's hummingbirds year round but I've not been fast enough to ever grab an image.  You've got focussing down to fine art!

Pete Lardizabal

Thanks Ross and Joseph!

They don’t stay still for long and given the small size and the shallow depth of field of a telescope one must constantly adjust focus when imaging hummingbirds. As noted in previous discussions I have the fine focus positioned on the left side of the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway to enable fine focus while having my right hand on the shutter release ready to go.

With respect to them being deadly they are rather intimidating when one flies up and hovers to inspect you a foot or so from your face! ☠️

I rescued two different female Ruby Throated Hummingbirds that managed to enter our screened pool enclosure last year. Once netted I gently handled each bird and released them without any fighting. One even perched on my finger for a few seconds and looked at me before flying off to a nearby branch.

Here is a hot off the press image of a male captured this morning warning himself in the sun. Same equipment and bird as yesterday’s image.

On Apr 3, 2021, at 12:38 AM, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:

I’m amazed you got that great shot of that bird, Pete!

I understand they are quite deadly :-)

thefamily90 Phillips

28 degrees this morning at my Farm.
Hummingbirds have not arrived yet. 😜

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

ROBERT WYNNE

That's a tour d' force in depth of field control for a telescope at close range. Keep up the good work. What is the depth of field for your fixed F stop at close range? I recall you had to continuously fine focus for ISS imaging. I have a hard time regarding depth of field for objects in orbit and beyond. -Best, Robert