Slight OT: Cleaning up disk space

I have found a little utility that makes finding disk space hogs (and then dealing with them or deleting) really easy.

We have a remote obs computer and the boot drive is pretty small 256gb. We have to be careful it doesn't get filled up. when it does fill up I often can't find what's using up the diskspace, or I forget where to look from all the various applications we use.

I found this utility called TreeSize that shows you by folder how much diskspace is being used, and you can drill into each folder, and find the culprit.

For example, last night i found the main disk 2/3 full. i used treesize and found 94 gigs of AP logs. This took just a few clicks.

TreeSize has a free version. I have no relationship or benefit from mentioning this, other than it's helped me tame my diskspace, maybe it's helpful for someone else

image.png

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Jerome Allison

Thanks for pointing out this handy utility!

I tried it on a 256GB Windows system drive that was unexplainedly full and always alternating between being "in the red" with less than 5GB free and then maybe 15GB free, as if Windows finally did some cleaning.  It showed a block of about 45,000 ASCOM log files in maybe a hundred directories, adding up to over 50GB!  I deleted those and another "hidden" 20GB of large unnecessary files, and finally got the used/free space back in reasonable balance.  The mystery is why there were so many log files, dated over the last 4-5 years.

Jerome

M Hambrick

Hi Jerome

I checked my disk and also found a lot of ASCOM logs. They were not using up even a fraction of the disk space that you found, but the interesting part is that I don't ever use ASCOM other than to check for updates occasionally. I found a lot of Earth Rotation Update logs in my ASCOM folder that must be getting created in the background.

All of these astro-related programs (e.g. ASCOM, MaxIm, etc) will generate a log every time we start them up, but I wonder how many of them are also doing some kind of background activity like this that over time will fill up our disk space.

Mike

Mike C

I use windirstat for this on Windows. Not just stats but a graphical depiction which is very useful, especially on chaotic drives with piles of all kinds of stuff.

This picture of my SSD shows how it is mostly empty, but a few directorys have Sony raws, jpegs and TIFFS.