From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2022 8:05 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Selling two scopes

I'm selling some scopes that I have had for many years, but Marj says I have to thin the herd and let others enjoy them. Both scopes are Mak-Cass made by TEC. As you probably know, Yuri is a friend and I have bought a number of scopes from TEC over the years. These two scopes are in mint condition and in super shape. They are examples of optical art to the max. They are great scopes for the upcoming Mars opposition, perfect for all Lunar/Planetary visual and imaging work. Sharp, smooth figure, highly corrected optics made by master opticians at TEC.

They are both on Astromart at this point.

Links:

Ram

Based on the serial number, the 6" appears to be a quartz version as well even though the ad doesnt say so.
It does keep pace with much larger (in physical size) refractors. In a side by side with a friend's TOA 130, this one looked very similar even at high magnifications. Of course, the FOV is smaller.

I have both scopes -- mine are slightly older, the 8" is an astro Sitall version.

Roland Christen

Yes, the 6" has quartz optics, the ad does specify it in the description. It's a fun scope to use, super light and very precise. I have several Maks of this size and have to let some go in order to allow them to catch some starlight. I've used them mostly for visual but also for imaging with my APS sized chip operating at around F8 with a simple telecompressor lens. Visually it works well with my 35 Panoptic wide field eyepiece at 50X and up at 460x with my 4mm Zeiss Abbe Ortho. Clean, crisp and light as a feather.

Based on the serial number, the 6" appears to be a quartz version as well even though the ad doesnt say so.
It does keep pace with much larger (in physical size) refractors. In a side by side with a friend's TOA 130, this one looked very similar even at high magnifications. Of course, the FOV is smaller.

I have both scopes -- mine are slightly older, the 8" is an astro Sitall version.

Edited

Are there dew shields included for these two Maks?  That would be important.

Are the secondary mirrors of these two Maks attached to the meniscus lens with a metal secondary mirror mount or is the secondary mirror a silvered spot as on the A-P 10" Mak-Cass? I can't tell from the photos.

William Luk

Ram,

Where can I find the scope details based on the TEC serial number?

Thanks,

William

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:53 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

The 6" has a dewshield. The 8" did not come with one - bought it new from TEC but they did not include a dewshield. Perhaps they have one.

Are there dew shields included for these two Maks?  That would be important.

Roland Christen

These are all-spherical designs so they have to have a separate secondary.

Are there dew shields included for these two Maks?  That would be important.

Are the secondary mirrors of these two Maks attached to the meniscus lens with a metal secondary mirror mount or is the secondary mirror a silvered spot as on the A-P 10" Mak-Cass? I can't tell from the photos.

K. Maruf

May I ask if you ever used either of these with a binoviewer? I'm wondering if they have sufficient back focus

maruf

Roland Christen

Maks always have sufficient back focus if the main mirror is moveable. In the case of the TEC Maks, the back focus is anything you need from a few inches to feet by just running the mirror in and out with the focusing knob.