Selling two scopes

Roland Christen

I'm selling some scopes that I have had for many years, but Marj says I have to thin the herd and let others enjoy them. Both scopes are Mak-Cass made by TEC. As you probably know, Yuri is a friend and I have bought a number of scopes from TEC over the years. These two scopes are in mint condition and in super shape. They are examples of optical art to the max. They are great scopes for the upcoming Mars opposition, perfect for all Lunar/Planetary visual and imaging work. Sharp, smooth figure, highly corrected optics made by master opticians at TEC.

They are both on Astromart at this point.

Links:

Dean Jacobsen

Nice telescopes. ūüĒ≠
--
Dean Jacobsen 
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 

Bill Long

Very nice telescopes, Roland. I am sure the new owners will love them.

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2022 8:05 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Selling two scopes

I'm selling some scopes that I have had for many years, but Marj says I have to thin the herd and let others enjoy them. Both scopes are Mak-Cass made by TEC. As you probably know, Yuri is a friend and I have bought a number of scopes from TEC over the years. These two scopes are in mint condition and in super shape. They are examples of optical art to the max. They are great scopes for the upcoming Mars opposition, perfect for all Lunar/Planetary visual and imaging work. Sharp, smooth figure, highly corrected optics made by master opticians at TEC.

They are both on Astromart at this point.

Links:

Ram

Based on the serial number, the 6" appears to be a quartz version as well even though the ad doesnt say so.
It does keep pace with much larger (in physical size) refractors. In a side by side with a friend's TOA 130, this one looked very similar even at high magnifications. Of course, the FOV is smaller.

I have both scopes -- mine are slightly older, the 8" is an astro Sitall version.

Roland Christen

Yes, the 6" has quartz optics, the ad does specify it in the description. It's a fun scope to use, super light and very precise. I have several Maks of this size and have to let some go in order to allow them to catch some starlight. I've used them mostly for visual but also for imaging with my APS sized chip operating at around F8 with a simple telecompressor lens. Visually it works well with my 35 Panoptic wide field eyepiece at 50X and up at 460x with my 4mm Zeiss Abbe Ortho. Clean, crisp and light as a feather.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 20, 2022 9:50 am
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Selling two scopes

Based on the serial number, the 6" appears to be a quartz version as well even though the ad doesnt say so.
It does keep pace with much larger (in physical size) refractors. In a side by side with a friend's TOA 130, this one looked very similar even at high magnifications. Of course, the FOV is smaller.

I have both scopes -- mine are slightly older, the 8" is an astro Sitall version.

Edited

Are there dew shields included for these two Maks?  That would be important.

Are the secondary mirrors of these two Maks attached to the meniscus lens with a metal secondary mirror mount or is the secondary mirror a silvered spot as on the A-P 10" Mak-Cass? I can't tell from the photos.

William Luk

Ram,

Where can I find the scope details based on the TEC serial number?

Thanks,

William

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:53 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, the 6" has quartz optics, the ad does specify it in the description. It's a fun scope to use, super light and very precise. I have several Maks of this size and have to let some go in order to allow them to catch some starlight. I've used them mostly for visual but also for imaging with my APS sized chip operating at around F8 with a simple telecompressor lens. Visually it works well with my 35 Panoptic wide field eyepiece at 50X and up at 460x with my 4mm Zeiss Abbe Ortho. Clean, crisp and light as a feather.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Sep 20, 2022 9:50 am

Roland Christen

The 6" has a dewshield. The 8" did not come with one - bought it new from TEC but they did not include a dewshield. Perhaps they have one.

Roland

Sent: Tue, Sep 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Roland Christen

These are all-spherical designs so they have to have a separate secondary.

Roland

Sent: Tue, Sep 20, 2022 10:02 pm

[Edited Message Follows]

Are the secondary mirrors of these two Maks attached to the meniscus lens with a metal secondary mirror mount or is the secondary mirror a silvered spot as on the A-P 10" Mak-Cass? I can't tell from the photos.

K. Maruf

May I ask if you ever used either of these with a binoviewer? I'm wondering if they have sufficient back focus

maruf

Roland Christen

Maks always have sufficient back focus if the main mirror is moveable. In the case of the TEC Maks, the back focus is anything you need from a few inches to feet by just running the mirror in and out with the focusing knob.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Sep 21, 2022 1:28 pm

May I ask if you ever used either of these with a binoviewer? I'm wondering if they have sufficient back focus

maruf

Vahe

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 11:28 AM, K. Maruf wrote:
I have both TEC6 and the larger 8" F20, I am strictly visual and always use binoviewer, both Maks come to focus with my Zeiss +1.25x Glasspath viewer.

Roland Christen

They will work fine without the 1.25x glass path also. They will work with any binoviewer.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Sep 21, 2022 2:50 pm

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 11:28 AM, K. Maruf wrote:
I have both TEC6 and the larger 8" F20, I am strictly visual and always use binoviewer, both Maks come to focus with my Zeiss +1.25x Glasspath viewer.

Jim H

Will the 8" backfocus work with a daystar filter if I put on an ERF filter in the front of the OTA?

jim

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:49 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Maks always have sufficient back focus if the main mirror is moveable. In the case of the TEC Maks, the back focus is anything you need from a few inches to feet by just running the mirror in and out with the focusing knob.

Roland

maruf

Roland Christen

Maks with moving mirrors don't have a fixed back focus. The focus is variable according to how far you move the mirror. It can extend out anywhere from a few inches to many feet. It's not like refractors, rather it's more like what you find in a standard SCT.

Roland

Sent: Wed, Sep 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Will the 8" backfocus work with a daystar filter if I put on an ERF filter in the front of the OTA?

jim

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:49 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Roland

maruf

wes Bolin

I have owned the MAK 6 and visually it was very close to the TEC140 and the AP130edfGT. It is a very portable scope compared to the refractors. 

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 9:50 AM Ram <ramviswanathan@...> wrote:

Roland Christen

TEC6 focal length 1825mm
TEC140 focal length 980mm

Image scale would be 1.86 x larger for the TEC 6.

Roland

Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Let’s see if this is better with same orientation. TEC 6 scale vs. TEC 140 scale, full frame.

Ben Lutch

Single frame TEC6, Sony Alpha 1, Mach2
Near Stanford, CA.  Sept 3 2022

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 2:56 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
TEC6 focal length 1825mm
TEC140 focal length 980mm

Image scale would be 1.86 x larger for the TEC 6.

Roland

Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Let’s see if this is better with same orientation. TEC 6 scale vs. TEC 140 scale, full frame.

Haydon Burns

Here’s a similar shot (albeit underexposed) with TEC 6 single Frame U.S. using Nikon 810.

Ram

Roland, what is the corrected flat field size on each of these scopes if I utilized your 0.67x tele compressor?