Topics

Screen shot on a coooold night (Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR)

Roland Christen

So it's now -11F outside and still dropping. Mount's tracking well, no issues with anything mechanical or electronics. Mach 2 is running smooth as butter. Guider scale is 1.16 arc sec per pixel with multi-star guiding, 5 seconds guide exposure.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

The Mach2 balances easily regardless of temperature. It has clutches, so the one thing that is different from the Mach1 is that the clutch end is on needle bearings versus the Mach1 bushing. The Mach1 also allowed the user to back off the worm so that the axis could swing free. But this has a downside if the user inadvertently does this in the wrong place with a huge imbalance. You can run the tops of the teeth over each other and cause damage. The Mach2 does away with that. No chance that the gear teeth can ever be damaged. Clutchless mounts have no other way to allow the axis to swing free - they must allow backing the worm teeth off the worm wheel.

Rolando

ROBERT WYNNE

You're just making me hungrier for delivery of a Mach II. -Best, Robert

On 02/13/2021 7:20 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

So it's now -11F outside and still dropping. Mount's tracking well, no issues with anything mechanical or electronics. Mach 2 is running smooth as butter. Guider scale is 1.16 arc sec per pixel with multi-star guiding, 5 seconds guide exposure.

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

Th e Mach2 balances easily regardless of temperature. It has clutches, so the one thing that is different from the Mach1 is that the clutch end is on needle bearings versus the Mach1 bushing. The Mach1 also allowed the user to back off the worm so that the axis could swing free. But this has a downside if the user inadvertently does this in the wrong place with a huge imbalance. You can run the tops of the teeth over each other and cause damage. The Mach2 does away with that. No chance that the gear teeth can ever be damaged. Clutchless mounts have no other way to allow the axis to swing free - they must allow backing the worm teeth off the worm wheel.

Rolando

Lee Dodge

Roland,

That is great news for the standard encoders.  I have standard encoders on my AP1100, but cold temps in the Colorado Rockies at 8500 ft. elevation.  Should have bought the low-temp encoders, but oh well...

You make me feel that much better about installing a simple WiFi system between my dome and a heated room in my garage/barn about 90 ft. away.  With Microsoft Desktop, I can control the laptop in the dome with a laptop in the heated room.  

Lee

deitzelj

How do you like the multi star guiding(I assume through Maxim?)?  Do you feel there is a benefit?  Just curious.

JMD

Bill Long

Phd2 does multi star guiding now. I find it to be much more stable.

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of deitzelj via groups.io <deitzelj@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 7:38 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Screen shot on a coooold night (Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR)

How do you like the multi star guiding(I assume through Maxim?)?  Do you feel there is a benefit?  Just curious.

JMD

deitzelj

That is what I have observed as well.  Just curious what others experiences have been.  

Jmd 

Roland Christen

There are nights when it works better than single star. But I have also had a situation when it cut out on me for reasons I don't understand. It happened on a hazy night when high thin clouds drifted across the image, which may have dimmed several of the fainter stars enough to cause the program to stop guiding. On that night I switched to single star and picked the brightest one in the frame.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Screen shot on a coooold night (Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR)

JMD

deitzelj

That actually follows my experience with PHD2's multistar version.  On average, I get a little bit of improvement over a single star, which I assume is because the multiple star tracking compensates better for seeing conditions.  However if there is a thin haze, I have better luck picking a single, nice bright star.   

JMD