questions on newly acquired AP130 EDT f/8

albireo1313@...

Hi,
  I just picked up an AP130EDT f/8 OTA.  It has the usual "paint rot" on the dew shield.
I have a few questions ...
1. Where can I find the serial number?      I looked into the objective and see SF58242 marked on the edge of the lens.   Is that it?
I had thought the serial number would look different.

2. The dew shield is touched up but, still looks beat up. One option is the strip it and repaint it (powder coat?).  Not sure about that since I would lose the AP decals.
Is that a bad idea, considering resale value?   I am sure replacement decals are not available.

3.  It came with a field flattener.  I am a visual only observer, no imaging.  Would there be much benefit to use it visually?

My beefiest mount I have is a vintage Vixen GPD, on a wimpy tripod.  I am thinking this would not be adequate, even if I upgrade to a beefy tripod.
Any advice on that?

Thanks,
Rob

--
Astro-gadfly
New Hampshire

Roland Christen

SF58242 marked on the edge of the lens
That is the serial number.

[...]

Pawel Lancucki

Hi Rob

Congrats on your new scope ;-)

Re Q3 - a) the flattener is designed for specific backfocus and you will not reach that with diagonal and b) with AP130 f/8 the field curvature will not be really noticeable. So in essence - important accessory but not for visual use.
Re Q4 - GP will be way too shaky for good views. Maybe a solid wooden tripod would help. Otherwise, I personally would not use it on anything smaller AP400 / EM200 or similar size / capacity mount. Alt-as - Discmount 4 or Giro-DX would also work nicely.

I used to use AP130 f/6 and AP400 mount worked fine for imaging. Pity AP moved only towards larger / heavier mounts.

CS

Pawel Lancucki

albireo1313@...

Thanks all.

The Vixen I have is the GPDX .. a touch beefier than the GP but, marginal I think .. even on a nice tripod.
I think either a DM6 for altaz or, something beefier than an EQ5 class mount.

--
Astro-gadfly
New Hampshire
AP Traveler on Gibralter mount

tt224

Hi,
When I received my AP130EDT f8 in 1999 I used it on a GP-DX with a wooden Baader tripod (which is much beefier than the Vixen alu tripod). I always had some shakiness, so I cannot recommend this combination. Later I started astro photography and the weakness of the mount became more obvious. I then switched to a Takahashi JP-Z which is rock solid even with the heavier  AP155 which I use these days.

CS