Quad TCC with TEC 140 and full frame format

Roland Christen

hello Astronuts,

For those who would like to know, I tested the TEC 140ED with our Quad TCC, and got this result for you pixel peepers:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/lq4msl/B/

Does it cover the full frame? Well not quite for different reasons. For some it might be good enough.

For narrowband imaging this combination scope and reducer is quite nice and produces a very large field at around 700mm focal length (F5). You will note that there is vignetting in the corners. I discovered that the vignetting is caused by the ZWO filters, which are slightly undersized and cause distinct light loss. They also cut into the light beam and produce an inward pointing spike on the brighter stars (see top left and bottom left). They also cut into the light path some distance in to produce a somewhat triangular star shape on the brighter stars. The QTCC has plenty of aperture at 60mm, but the filters are less than 50mm diameter in their housing. The image can be cropped, of course, but then you would lose some of the picture.

This image was a quick snapshot of only 30 minutes. Will be adding more data tonight, as well as darks, flats and the whole riggemarole needed for a better final result.

Rolando

Bill Long

Hi Roland,

Are these 2" mounted filters? That would definitely cause a problem.

Thanks,
Bill Long

[...]

They are unmounted and the filter wheel is a ZWO product. The opening of the filter wheel is smaller than the 50mm filters (otherwise they would fall thru the hole)

[...]

I checked the ZWO site, and I only see 2" filters in an M48 housing. Are these different ZWO filters?

[...]

Peter Nagy

Maybe next test is to use TEC FF if you have one to see if you still see vignetting. I'm also curious if the star shapes are round and nice at the four corners using Sony IMX-455 sensor with TEC FF as well using full frame and 3.76uM pixels sensor.

Peter

Bill Long

With the field flattener, it should be fine. IIRC even the AP 3.5" FF worked great with the TEC140.

Maybe next test is to use TEC FF if you have one to see if you still see vignetting. I'm also curious if the star shapes are round and nice at the four corners using Sony IMX-455 sensor with TEC FF as well using full frame and 3.76uM pixels sensor.

Peter

Roland Christen

I was mistaken. Mine are the 48mm screw-in filters from ZWO that comes as a package. If I look from the front objective towards the chip, I can see that the corners are cut off, and perhaps it's the off-axis guider ID that is doing the vignetting, since it is further away from the chip. An F5 beam is quite wide the further it is from the chip.

[...]

I'm not about to buy a TEC FF. No reason for me to test other manufacturer's accessories.

Maybe next test is to use TEC FF if you have one to see if you still see vignetting. I'm also curious if the star shapes are round and nice at the four corners using Sony IMX-455 sensor with TEC FF as well using full frame and 3.76uM pixels sensor.

Peter

Bill Long

Yep, those have a very limited 46mm clear aperture (due to the M48 threaded portion of the cell) and cause this problem on faster systems. I would replace these with 50mm round unmounted filters. I personally use the Astronomik Deep Sky RGB, L2 Lum, and MaxFR Narrowband filters. Excellent filters, absolutely zero halo issues, and work perfectly on both fast and slower optical systems.

They are significantly cheaper than the Chroma and Astrodons as well.

[...]

Yes, but that's not the point. The idea was to show the result with the QTCC which people have bought for various scopes. They have questions and I want to provide the answers. I don't understand why you want to change the subject to something else.

With the field flattener, it should be fine. IIRC even the AP 3.5" FF worked great with the TEC140.

Maybe next test is to use TEC FF if you have one to see if you still see vignetting. I'm also curious if the star shapes are round and nice at the four corners using Sony IMX-455 sensor with TEC FF as well using full frame and 3.76uM pixels sensor.

Peter

Bill Long

I was not changing the subject, I was just replying to Peter. 🙂

With the field flattener, it should be fine.
Yes, but that's not the point. The idea was to show the result with the QTCC which people have bought for various scopes. They have questions and I want to provide the answers. I don't understand why you want to change the subject to something else.

With the field flattener, it should be fine. IIRC even the AP 3.5" FF worked great with the TEC140.

Maybe next test is to use TEC FF if you have one to see if you still see vignetting. I'm also curious if the star shapes are round and nice at the four corners using Sony IMX-455 sensor with TEC FF as well using full frame and 3.76uM pixels sensor.

Peter

Roland Christen

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if they would fit this particular filter wheel.

[...]

By the way, the TEC 140ED produces stars with FWHM of 1.2 arc sec in Narrowband H-a and OIII, in very good seeing of course. That is mighty sharp for a 140mm aperture.

[...]

No problem. 🙂 I used 50mm round filters when I had the ZWO 2" wheel and the 6200 camera. There are nice 3D printed masks you can use to install them safely. Joel sells them on his shop:

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 07:35 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
The idea was to show the result with the QTCC which people have bought for various scopes.
I have a Stellarvue 152 on order and bought the QTCC based on your prior estimation it would do well.  I'm hoping it will.  Would love to hear if anyone else as tried the combination.  My QTCC is sitting patiently in my closet, along with the plumbing needed, awaiting the OTA arrival.

So thanks for prior, this and any future insights on cross pollination.

Linwood

Roland Christen

I have no idea what their design is, so I can't give specifics for spacing. My 140 TEC came out to within 0.8mm of the design spacing that I calculated. TEC provided me with the glass types and curves. For any other scope it would be a guess.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 08:12 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
I have no idea what their design is, so I can't give specifics for spacing. My 140 TEC came out to within 0.8mm of the design spacing that I calculated. TEC provided me with the glass types and curves. For any other scope it would be a guess.
Spacing is easy (except for the mosquitos that attack every time I go out to change), I have stacks of M68 spacers.   I just need an OTA, and for eternal clouds to part.

That's one impressively substantial piece of glass, by the way.  If I measure hope by the gram, I have very large hopes!

Linwood

Bill Long

Yes that's exceptionally good!

[...]

Haydon Burns

Do you sell spacers that are less than 1mm?  For my configuration of this setup, it seems that one 1mm spacer may be slightly to little spacing and two might be slightly too much.  If not, is it best just to sand one down or are there other suggestions?  I want to see if splitting the difference helps.

Thank you,
Haydon

Haydon not sure your exact requirements but there are spacer options out there <1mm

for example

they are available in different common diameters