From: thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
To: ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Sep 9, 2021 10:24 am
Subject: [ap-ug] Posidonius with AP 10” Maksutov

When I first saw the drawing of the crater Posidonius  by Alika Herring in the March, 1978 cave Astro a catalog (inside back cover) I became very interested in Posidonius, drawing  and imaging it over the years to using many different telescopes. Here is my first drawing of it in 1978 using a 4 inch quantum Maksutov and a more recent image of it using a 10 inch AP Maksutov.

JimP

Image.jpeg

--
Jim Phillips

Ross Elkins

VERY neat image Jim!

Harley Davidson

Fine job of drawing Jim! I remember seeing those those Quantum scopes in the magazines.

tony

On 9/9/2021 11:24 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
When I first saw the drawing of the crater Posidonius ?by Alika Herring in the March, 1978 cave Astro a catalog (inside back cover) I became very interested in Posidonius, drawing ?and imaging it over the years to using many different telescopes. Here is my first drawing of it in 1978 using a 4 inch quantum Maksutov and a more recent image of it using a 10 inch AP Maksutov.

JimP?

Image.jpeg

--
Jim Phillips

Pete Lardizabal

Love these images Jim!

Seen them before; nevertheless; timeless record of a lunar favorite! My little AP130EDFGT has given me wonderful views of this jewel. No match for your monster optic! 💪🏻

Pete

On Sep 9, 2021, at 11:24 AM, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

When I first saw the drawing of the crater Posidonius  by Alika Herring in the March, 1978 cave Astro a catalog (inside back cover) I became very interested in Posidonius, drawing  and imaging it over the years to using many different telescopes. Here is my first drawing of it in 1978 using a 4 inch quantum Maksutov and a more recent image of it using a 10 inch AP Maksutov.

JimP

<Image.jpeg>

<Image.jpeg>

Get Outlook for iOS

--
Jim Phillips

ROBERT WYNNE

Great record of this subject through time. Funny how time fly's. -Best, Robert

On 09/09/2021 4:19 PM Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...> wrote:

Fine job of drawing Jim! I remember seeing those those Quantum scopes in the magazines.

tony

On 9/9/2021 11:24 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
When I first saw the drawing of the crater Posidonius ?by Alika Herring in the March, 1978 cave Astro a catalog (inside back cover) I became very interested in Posidonius, drawing ?and imaging it over the years to using many different telescopes. Here is my first drawing of it in 1978 using a 4 inch quantum Maksutov and a more recent image of it using a 10 inch AP Maksutov.

JimP?

Image.jpeg

--
Jim Phillips

John Jennings

I briefly met Alika Herring in 1975. I lived temporarily across the street from Cave Optical in Long Beach in their last days. Alika worked for Cave. I was an avid ATM by that time.  I had seen his drawings before and it was cool meeting him in person. I started making sketches after that first meeting trying to mimic his style. His skills as an astronomical sketch artist were well known then. I think it was Tom Cave Jr. that showed me their automated grinding and polishing machines in action and it was cool because I just acquired a Satellite Mirror Grinding and Polishing machine to move up from hand grinding mirrors. I even dreamed of fabricating a refractor. Ah, those were the days, a long haired college student in the 70's.

thefamily90 Phillips

Yes indeed! Skyandtelescope ended up selling the copper plates from that they used to publish his drawings. I wish I had purchased one.

JimP

I briefly met Alika Herring in 1975. I lived temporarily across the street from Cave Optical in Long Beach in their last days. Alika worked for Cave. I was an avid ATM by that time.  I had seen his drawings before and it was cool meeting him in person. I started making sketches after that first meeting trying to mimic his style. His skills as an astronomical sketch artist were well known then. I think it was Tom Cave Jr. that showed me their automated grinding and polishing machines in action and it was cool because I just acquired a Satellite Mirror Grinding and Polishing machine to move up from hand grinding mirrors. I even dreamed of fabricating a refractor. Ah, those were the days, a long haired college student in the 70's.

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Remove the word “from”

I briefly met Alika Herring in 1975. I lived temporarily across the street from Cave Optical in Long Beach in their last days. Alika worked for Cave. I was an avid ATM by that time.  I had seen his drawings before and it was cool meeting him in person. I started making sketches after that first meeting trying to mimic his style. His skills as an astronomical sketch artist were well known then. I think it was Tom Cave Jr. that showed me their automated grinding and polishing machines in action and it was cool because I just acquired a Satellite Mirror Grinding and Polishing machine to move up from hand grinding mirrors. I even dreamed of fabricating a refractor. Ah, those were the days, a long haired college student in the 70's.

--
Jim Phillips

ROBERT WYNNE

Any chance you ran into Leland Barnes who worked just across the street at Coast Optical as the master optician? -Best, Robert

On 09/11/2021 12:28 PM John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

I briefly met Alika Herring in 1975. I lived temporarily across the street from Cave Optical in Long Beach in their last days. Alika worked for Cave. I was an avid ATM by that time.  I had seen his drawings before and it was cool meeting him in person. I started making sketches after that first meeting trying to mimic his style. His skills as an astronomical sketch artist were well known then. I think it was Tom Cave Jr. that showed me their automated grinding and polishing machines in action and it was cool because I just acquired a Satellite Mirror Grinding and Polishing machine to move up from hand grinding mirrors. I even dreamed of fabricating a refractor. Ah, those were the days, a long haired college student in the 70's.

John Jennings

Edited

Robert,

No, I don't think I ran into LeLand. It was interesting times for an amateur astronomer. I visited many scope/atm manufacturers in Cali with tours of their facilities including Celestron. My Texan accent always amused folks wherever I went.

John