Off-the-shelf adapters for Stowaway flattener

KHursh

I received my Stowaway yesterday (hooray) and while I am aware of precise parts, I was wondering if adapters exist for the 92FF. I have found a 2.7" to m68 male adapter, but bizarrely I cannot find a female m68 to m48 anywhere. In a perfect world, a straight 2.7" to m48 would exist so I could cut out the M68 middleman, but that is too much to ask. I am annoyed by the time it takes for precise parts and their customer service is not quite up to AP standards. I'm sure the quality is great, but $175 for a simple adapter?

Chris White

If you have the backspacing available you could use an M68 gender changer to connect the m68male on the flattener side to the m68 male on the camera side.  It will eat up some backfocus but Baader makes this.

Terry Martin

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry

Richard Hennig

On Sep 16, 2021, at 10:54 AM, Terry Martin <terry@...> wrote:

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry

George

Richard,

Those are M68 adapters.    The Stowaway flattener uses AP 2.7” threads…not the same thing.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry

Richard Hennig

Thank you George. You are correct.

I was responding to the part of KHursh’s question:

I have found a 2.7" to m68 male adapter, but bizarrely I cannot find a female m68 to m48 anywhere.

I also agree that minimizing the number of adapters to screw together increases stability, so a direct 2.7” thread to M48 would be ideal for many applications.

Best wishes,
Richard

—
Richard G. Hennig
Professor and Alumni Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Associate Director, Quantum Theory Project
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida
Email: rhennig@...
Web: http://hennig.mse.ufl.edu

On Sep 16, 2021, at 11:38 AM, George <george@...> wrote:

Richard,

Those are M68 adapters.    The Stowaway flattener uses AP 2.7” threads…not the same thing.

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry
<image001.jpg>

Bill Long

I use a Precise Parts adapter that is M68 Male to AP 2.7 female. The effective optical length of the adapter is 1.8mm. I believe they measure that from the end of the thread and not the base of the reducer/flattener before the threads though.

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry

David E T Clark

I guess that One Drive needs more time to upload. I just found lecture 8 and the draft slides, Saima.

     Dave

On Sep 16, 2021, at 12:50 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

I use a Precise Parts adapter that is M68 Male to AP 2.7 female. The effective optical length of the adapter is 1.8mm. I believe they measure that from the end of the thread and not the base of the reducer/flattener before the threads though.

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry
<image001.jpg>

Terry Martin

I use a Baader AP 2.7"f to M68 adapter and then a Teleskop-Service M68 to M54 adapter to go into a M54 Filter drawer.

David E T Clark

Sorry for the cross post.

      Dave Clark

On Sep 16, 2021, at 1:35 PM, David E T Clark via groups.io <declark@...> wrote:

I guess that One Drive needs more time to upload. I just found lecture 8 and the draft slides, Saima.

     Dave

On Sep 16, 2021, at 12:50 PM, Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

I use a Precise Parts adapter that is M68 Male to AP 2.7 female. The effective optical length of the adapter is 1.8mm. I believe they measure that from the end of the thread and not the base of the reducer/flattener before the threads though.

Check put Teleskop-Service.  They have lots of adapters and their delivery is quick.

Terry
<image001.jpg>

KHursh

I don't mind using Precise Parts other than the unknown length of time to wait for them.

Bill Long

They tell you how many days to ship before you buy and email you with the exact date right after you buy.

I don't mind using Precise Parts other than the unknown length of time to wait for them.

KHursh

26 working days. Ouch. Over 5 weeks

ROBERT WYNNE

With regard to Precise Parts prices. You have to realize that each part requires a top knotch machinist, his set up time (usually twice as long as it takes to machine a part) and the cleanup time. Then there's anodizing and shipping all the while somebody is keeping track of your part. If you just think of the price in terms of the time it takes to machine the part you're miss 2/3 rds of the total time involved to process your part and then the user of these parts expects perfection. -Best, Robert

On 09/16/2021 6:53 PM KHursh via groups.io <khursh@...> wrote:

I don't mind using Precise Parts other than the unknown length of time to wait for them.

Chris White

Edited

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 10:32 PM, KHursh wrote:
26 working days. Ouch. Over 5 weeks

I wonder if AP would consider making a line of these adapters for their scopes.  Seems like there is a nice demand for adapting to M68 and M48 from both 3.27" or 2.7" thread.  I know I would be buying these and with PP costing $130 to $150 for these adapters (along with the 4 to 8 week lead time) it would be a welcome addition to the AP lineup.

Bill Long

It was worse earlier in all of this mess. I think it approached 40 days at the peak. Before the COVID-19 pandemic it was about 10 days. So 26 might be tough to swallow, but the product is solid and has a good guarantee.

The most viable way to do this would be to create minimum spacing adapters for the common threading in use today (M54, M68, M42, M48) but now you have a bunch of different reducers and flatteners to account for, and thus a huge pile of adapters.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 10:32 PM, KHursh wrote:
26 working days. Ouch. Over 5 weeks

I wonder if AP would consider making a line of these adapters for their scopes.  Seems like there is a nice demand for adapting to M68 and M48 from both 3.27" or 2.7" thread.  I know I would be buying these and with PP costing $130 to $150 for these adapters (along with the 4 to 8 week lead time) it would be a welcome addition to the AP lineup.

George

Bill,

Go to our website and look at the options in description in the following link…there are a number of options.

https://www.astro-physics.com/ada27-54

[...]

You may wish to view the imaging train chart:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/accessories/photo_acc/ff-tcc-imaging-train.pdf

[...]

Well what do you know! Are these new? I have scoured the internet in the past looking for options like these! 🙂