NGC7822, Sharpless171, LBN583 (Cep) - Hot Stars with Cosmic Pillars of Dust / OSC 3.3 hours

John Jennings

There's a whole lot of action going on here looking at the plate solve. Some real hot stars. I shot this in between galaxy hunting with the 155. The moon was up so I made a run of 55 images from dusk to dawn and threw out over half that had low contrast ratios as per CCD inspector. I was kind of surprised of how well the IDAS NBZ OSC filter worked since it has wide quad band 10nm skirts. Could probably do with some more subs, but I'm going with this version and moving on.

https://astrob.in/x169wf/0/

John

Stuart

Nicely done John!!

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 at 12:35, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:
There's a whole lot of action going on here looking at the plate solve. Some real hot stars. I shot this in between galaxy hunting with the 155. The moon was up so I made a run of 55 images from dusk to dawn and threw out over half that had low contrast ratios as per CCD inspector. I was kind of surprised of how well the IDAS NBZ OSC filter worked since it has wide quad band 10nm skirts. Could probably do with some more subs, but I'm going with this version and moving on.

https://astrob.in/x169wf/0/

John

Lee Dodge

John,

Very nice!

Lee

Richard Hennig

Dear John,

Nice smooth detail. Thanks for sharing.

I took an image of the same object a few days ago with the Stowaway. I processed it differently to bring out more of the OIII. If you like to take a look, here is the link on Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/lxmlyw/.

I use the same filter as you and am equally impressed how well it works and really shows very little halos around even the brightest stars.

Clear skies,
Richard

On Oct 16, 2021, at 12:35 PM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

There's a whole lot of action going on here looking at the plate solve. Some real hot stars. I shot this in between galaxy hunting with the 155. The moon was up so I made a run of 55 images from dusk to dawn and threw out over half that had low contrast ratios as per CCD inspector. I was kind of surprised of how well the IDAS NBZ OSC filter worked since it has wide quad band 10nm skirts. Could probably do with some more subs, but I'm going with this version and moving on.

https://astrob.in/x169wf/0/

John

John Jennings

Richard,

I like your take on it. What ratio mix did you use? I assume an SHO with a mix of some kind?

John

John Jennings

Richard,

I did a quick take on a synthetic SHO palette version. Here's my version:   L=r, R=r, G=0.6*r + 0.4g, B=G(original). For fun only...

https://astrob.in/1ialvv/0/

John

Richard Hennig

Hi John,

I like the look of your new image too. It is nice to have the color contrast accentuate the details of the emission nebula.

For my image, I used StarXTerminator to separate the stars from the nebulosity. For the nebulosity, I first combined the G and B channel into OIII = 2/3 G + 1/3 B and used the R channel for Halpha since the image was taken with the NBZ filter.

After some noise reduction, deconvolution, and stretching, I combined the Halpha and OIII into the nebulosity channel using

R = Halpha
G = (0.2*Halpha) + (0.8*OIII)
B = (-0.2*Halpha) + (1.2*OIII)

I have not played with using a luminance channel. That might be a great idea and help reduce some of the noise.

Then I combined the nebulosity with the stars. Along the line, I played with the histogram, noise, and saturation to get to the final image.

Clear skies,
Richard

On Oct 18, 2021, at 6:12 PM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

Richard,

I did a quick take on a synthetic SHO palette version. Here's my version:   L=r, R=r, G=0.6*r + 0.4g, B=G(original). For fun only...

https://astrob.in/1ialvv/0/

John

John Jennings

Edited

Richard,

I just used PI to extract the channels from my previously finished and posted image. (NBZ) Didn't do anything new but stretched the curves on the new (G) =0.6*r + 0.4g to be similar to the red channel. No new background reduction or anything but plain old curve bending etc Then combined as LRGB where  L=r, R=r, G=0.6*r + 0.4g, B=G(original). Then twisted and modified the color balance to suite.

I was originally planning on doing a lot more of this, but my AP130GT with Quad TCC is nearly ready to attach to the same mount as the AP155. (AP1200 mount)  Both scopes have their own complete NUC and computer setup with separate controls. The 130GT will have a QHY600MM + true narrowband setup on it. I will have the choice to do true narrow or broad band imaging with the 130 or deep space / galaxy hunting with the AP155 QHY268C color setup.

John

John Jennings

Richard,

I did use Starnet++ in PI to remove and reinsert the stars. I have the new StarXterminator but it won't run on my old Photoshop CS3. I'm looking for a solution for that. I wish Russ would port it to PI or something else. I refuse to pay a monthly fee to use photoshop.  But my new computer is like pure lightening. Everything runs so much faster. I can rip through all the image processing in a blink.  With a Intel I9-10850 processor with a Radian GPU, 4TB SSD main disk, 32GB ram and Asus Gaming motherboard!  I try to cut all the corners to be most efficient with my time from imaging to processing.

John

Star Xterminator is available for PI now, and it's quite good

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 8:30 PM John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:
Richard,

I did use Starnet++ in PI to remove and reinsert the stars. I have the new StarXterminator but it won't run on my old Photoshop CS3. I'm looking for a solution for that. I wish Russ would port it to PI or something else. I refuse to pay a monthly fee to use photoshop.  But my new computer is like pure lightening. Everything runs so much faster. I can rip through all the image processing in a blink.  With a Intel I9-10850 processor with a Radian GPU, 4TB SSD main disk, 32GB ram and Asus Gaming motherboard!  I try to cut all the corners to be most efficient with my time from imaging to processing.

John

John Jennings

Brian,

You made my day!