NGC772 (Arp78) GX (Ari) - Comma Galaxy,? - 2.86 hours OSC

John Jennings

Edited

A nice and small Arp Peculiar Galaxy for the AP155 (7′.2 × 4′.3). It looks like a comma to me. The extended arm is due to the gravitational pull of the dwarf elliptical Galaxy NGC770 located above it.

https://astrob.in/full/q5ajf7/0/

I'm trying to get a few more galaxies in before the moon gets too high for imaging with broadband in the next few days. Got a couple left, but I'm trying to stay at the higher elevations and shorter sub lengths to get the best resolution. It's with these size galaxies that the small pixel size (3.76u) of the QHY268 really helps. The upside is since the targets are centered and small, tilt errors are forgiven.   I think the Sony IMX571 is killing it for a lot of imagers. Both mono and color versions with the 16bit AD Generation 3 CMOS chips.

John

Stuart

Simply amazing!

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 at 11:51, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:
A nice and small Arp Peculiar Galaxy for the AP155 (7′.2 × 4′.3). It looks like a comma to me. The extended arm is due to the gravitational pull of the dwarf elliptical Galaxy NGC770 located above it.

https://astrob.in/full/q5ajf7/0/

I'm trying to get a few more galaxies in before the moon gets to high for imaging with broadband in the next few days. Got a couple left, but I'm trying to stay at the higher elevations and shorter sub lengths to get the best resolution.

John

Joel Short

Very nice, one of my favorite galaxies.  Nice and sharp!
You've gotten more images in the last week than I have all year.  :(
Keep 'em coming.
joel

John Jennings

Joel,

Thanks.

Pete Lardizabal

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

On Oct 8, 2021, at 11:51 AM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

A nice and small Arp Peculiar Galaxy for the AP155 (7′.2 × 4′.3). It looks like a comma to me. The extended arm is due to the gravitational pull of the dwarf elliptical Galaxy NGC770 located above it.

https://astrob.in/full/q5ajf7/0/

I'm trying to get a few more galaxies in before the moon gets to high for imaging with broadband in the next few days. Got a couple left, but I'm trying to stay at the higher elevations and shorter sub lengths to get the best resolution.

John

Roland Christen

I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

A nice and small Arp Peculiar Galaxy for the AP155 (7′.2 × 4′.3). It looks like a comma to me. The extended arm is due to the gravitational pull of the dwarf elliptical Galaxy NGC770 located above it.

https://astrob.in/full/q5ajf7/0/

I'm trying to get a few more galaxies in before the moon gets too high for imaging with broadband in the next few days. Got a couple left, but I'm trying to stay at the higher elevations and shorter sub lengths to get the best resolution. It's with these size galaxies that the small pixel size (3.76u) of the QHY268 really helps. The upside is since the targets are centered and small, tilt errors are forgiven.   I think the Sony IMX571 is killing it for a lot of imagers. Both mono and color versions with the 16bit AD Generation 3 CMOS chips.

John

>>>I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

who knew astrophotography would attract the grammar police ;)

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Jay Freeman

I note that astronuts are increasingly also technonuts. In that context, it  would be an interesting project to come up with a list of celestial objects that resemble all of the ASCII characters.

When that is done, we can go on to unicodes and emojis.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman, Deep-Sky Weasel
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com
(personal web site)

On Oct 8, 2021, at 11:14, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

I vote for Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Here's my entry for Donald Duck: https://www.astrobin.com/full/q4rmp7/0/

Rolando Stuck out tongue closed eyes

I note that astronuts are increasingly also technonuts. In that context, it  would be an interesting project to come up with a list of celestial objects that resemble all of the ASCII characters.

When that is done, we can go on to unicodes and emojis.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman, Deep-Sky Weasel
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com
(personal web site)

On Oct 8, 2021, at 11:14, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

Great image John, that stirs the imagination!

Ross

John Jennings

Yea, That's an Angry Duck for sure!

John

Gary C Fairview TX

 I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

Rolando ”

Or maybe an “arpostrophe”? ;-)

Roland Christen

Took me a while, but I get it. Smile

 I'm sorry, but that galaxy looks a lot more like and apostrophe to me. Grin

Rolando ”

Or maybe an “arpostrophe”? ;-)

ROBERT WYNNE

I think you intended the diacritical police? -Best, Robert