NGC5457 (M101) Pin wheel in the Great Bear - The AP155 Galaxy Safari resumes with rattle snakes

John Jennings

Edited

I'm finally back up and running! There was an equipment issue at the remote observatory that required a late night stay in freezing weather and no heat! I know that's nothing for the folks up east, but I'm a sissy. It's is a pretty remote location with no cell service or humans in the middle of a 14,000 acre ranch. There are a bunch of rattle snakes for company. Fortunately they're not active now. 

I managed to bag 2 different galaxies after the moon set Monday and Wednesday night. I'm pretty happy with the color I was able to pull out of M101 with only 2.8 hours of integration. The dark skies really make a difference. CCD Inspector showed the subs with a contrast ratio of 11.93-13.36. Of course the CNR was about 2.3-4.0 before the moon completely set. That's not bad imaging broadband. I'm sure it could be better, but with 17 subs, the stack had virtually no color background noise. 

https://astrob.in/full/ff1uc5/0/

John Jennings

Roland Christen

Very nice results.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] NGC5457 (M101) Pin wheel in the Great Bear - The AP155 Galaxy Safari resumes with rattle snakes

I'm finally back up and running! There was an equipment issue at the remote observatory that required a late night stay in freezing weather and no heat! I know that's nothing for the folks up east, but I'm a sissy. It's is a pretty remote location with no cell service or humans in the middle of a 14,000 acre ranch. There are a bunch of rattle snakes for company. Fortunately they're not active now. 

I managed to bag 2 different galaxies after the moon set Monday and Wednesday night. I'm pretty happy with the color I was able to pull out of M101 with only 2.8 hours of integration. The dark skies really make a difference. CCD Inspector showed the subs with a contrast ratio of 11.93-13.36. Of course the CNR was about 2.3-4.0 before the moon completely set. That's not bad imaging broadband. I'm sure it could be better, but with 17 subs, the stack had virtually no color background noise. 

John Jennings

John Jennings

Thanks Roland.

Pete Lardizabal

Beauty John!!!

😎

Pete

On Jan 15, 2022, at 1:57 PM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

John Jennings

ROBERT WYNNE

Well done and worth the environmental hazards. -Best, Robert

On 01/15/2022 10:57 AM John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

John Jennings

John Jennings

Thanks Robert, Pete.

Always looking to avoid environmental hazards.  No CareFlite rides for me! 

The things we do to get an image...

John