From: John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] NGC5457 (M101) Pin wheel in the Great Bear - The AP155 Galaxy Safari resumes with rattle snakes

I'm finally back up and running! There was an equipment issue at the remote observatory that required a late night stay in freezing weather and no heat! I know that's nothing for the folks up east, but I'm a sissy. It's is a pretty remote location with no cell service or humans in the middle of a 14,000 acre ranch. There are a bunch of rattle snakes for company. Fortunately they're not active now.

I managed to bag 2 different galaxies after the moon set Monday and Wednesday night. I'm pretty happy with the color I was able to pull out of M101 with only 2.8 hours of integration. The dark skies really make a difference. CCD Inspector showed the subs with a contrast ratio of 11.93-13.36. Of course the CNR was about 2.3-4.0 before the moon completely set. That's not bad imaging broadband. I'm sure it could be better, but with 17 subs, the stack had virtually no color background noise.

https://astrob.in/full/ff1uc5/0/

John Jennings

John Jennings

Thanks Roland.

Pete Lardizabal

Beauty John!!!

On Jan 15, 2022, at 1:57 PM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

[...]

ROBERT WYNNE

Well done and worth the environmental hazards. -Best, Robert

On 01/15/2022 10:57 AM John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Thanks Robert, Pete.

Always looking to avoid environmental hazards.  No CareFlite rides for me!

The things we do to get an image...

John