New Image: LDN1358 in LRGB w AP155 and Moravian G4

Stuart

https://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/ccd_photos/LDN_1358_LRGB_AP155_G4_Nov2022.html

Relatively short exposure time overall:
8/8/8x10min RGB + 20x10min Lum

Processed in PixInsight using a variety of tools including Russ Croman's StarXTerminator to ease the stretching of the faint stuff. Then to Photoshop for L+RGB and contrast enhancements and noise reduction. Hope you like it!

Shawn Quinn

Awesome mage Stuart!

Shawn

Pete Lardizabal

Nifty scene Stuart!

Do you have an estimate with respect to the amount of time you have invested in processing this image?

😉

Pete

On Nov 27, 2022, at 4:12 PM, Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

https://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/ccd_photos/LDN_1358_LRGB_AP155_G4_Nov2022.html

Relatively short exposure time overall:
8/8/8x10min RGB + 20x10min Lum

Processed in PixInsight using a variety of tools including Russ Croman's StarXTerminator to ease the stretching of the faint stuff. Then to Photoshop for L+RGB and contrast enhancements and noise reduction. Hope you like it!

Stuart

Shawn, Pete - thanks!!

Pete - I spent a while on this one. I find these Dark Nebulae counterintuitive to process. I'm so used to stretching the image to bring out the brighter parts (holding the stars in check of course) but now I'm stretching to get the darker parts to show which is weird. But fun.

So, my fumbling workflow was:
  • assemble the RGB image in PixInsight then PhotoColourCalibrate (no stretching yet)
  • remove the stars with Russ Croman's StarXTerminator
  • Process the starless image to bring out the the colour and contrast of the nebula as best I can
  • Stretch the stars-only image to get nice colourful stars that aren't bloated
  • Add the stars back. Image was kinda ugly but I carried on
  • Do the same with the Luminance i.e. remove the stars, stretch the starless image to get as contrasty nebula as I can
  • I ditched the Luminance stars image
  • Moved to Photoshop, overlaid the starless lumiance on the RGB image (the one with the stars added back)
  • Stars vanished. Grrr
  • Copied the RGB layer and pasted the copy on top of the luminance and set the blend to Lighten and that brought the stars back nicely
  • Some curves and contrast adjustments, a boost to saturation all with clipping masks
What a hobby.

Stuart Heggie

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 at 20:09, Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Nifty scene Stuart!

Do you have an estimate with respect to the amount of time you have invested in processing this image?

😉

Pete

On Nov 27, 2022, at 4:12 PM, Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

https://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/ccd_photos/LDN_1358_LRGB_AP155_G4_Nov2022.html

Relatively short exposure time overall:
8/8/8x10min RGB + 20x10min Lum

Processed in PixInsight using a variety of tools including Russ Croman's StarXTerminator to ease the stretching of the faint stuff. Then to Photoshop for L+RGB and contrast enhancements and noise reduction. Hope you like it!

Ross Elkins

Thats a real nice picture Stuart but aren’t you afraid those stars you removed will be unhappy #-)

Ross

Stuart

Thanks Ross! LOL! I gave them a good massage and let them sit quietly in the background. ;-)

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 at 22:07, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:
Thats a real nice picture Stuart but aren’t you afraid those stars you removed will be unhappy #-)

Ross

Pete Lardizabal

Thanks for the rundown Stuart!

Always appreciate learning a tiny bit of what goes into an astronomical image after the capture.