Mach2 vs. 1100

Masahiko Niwa

Hi.

I am looking for a mount for AG 10" iDK, Dall Kirkham that weights 32 lbs. Considering the capacity, Mach2 looks enough, but I am also thinking about 1100GTO for more stability.

Is there any advantage to use 1100GTO instead of Mach 2?

Masahiko Niwa

Masahiko Niwa

I know both mounts are excellent and it is difficult for me to choose one. My thoughts are as follows:

Capacity: Mach2 is enough for 32 lbs Dall Kirkham

Stability: 1100GTO may be better under windy situations 

Portability: 1100GTO is better (RA and Dec separation)

How do you think about it?

Masahiko Niwa

fernandorivera3

Buy the highest weight capacity mount you can afford, so when later in the future you move up to your next monster sized scope, there is no need to sell the Mach 2 GTO & using those funds for the larger GEM. 

Fernando

Masahiko Niwa

Fernando,

Thanks you for your practical advice. The weight increase of the telescope is like a kind of “inflation theory”. It's likely to happen.

Roland Christen

Here are my thoughts:

Mach2 is surprisingly strong and can carry a lot of load, but it needs to be carefully balanced. The clutches make it easy to achieve balance, however when you have multiple side by side configurations, sometimes it is difficult to get it just right. The Mach2 has dual encoders, so it is inherently accurate when tracking.

The 1100 is definitely stronger and stiffer in windy conditions. There is periodic error that can be mostly compensated with PE correction. However, that is never quite at the same level as the dual encoder Mach2. You can add encoders to the 1100, but they are costly both for us and the customer.

The 1100 comes apart via a dovetail assembly. It requires 2 screws to be removed (the safety screws) and also requires carefully removing the Dec cable before taking the axes apart. each component weighs less than the fully assembled Mach2.

You cannot separate the two axes of the Mach2, but if you want to be clever, you can take the Mach2 partially apart. The Mach2 RA axis is attached to the Alt-Az base with 6 hex head screws. You only really need the 4 outer screws to secure the mount to the Alt_Az base. So you remove the screws using a hex head ball driver, the T handle version, and you can reduce the weight of the remaining mount by 11 lb. (the alt-az base weighs 11lb). You then leave the base on your tripod and you can carry the RA-Dec axis assembly at around 30 lb. One advantage is that leaving the base on the tripod keeps your polar alignment intact if you have the foresight to mark the exact position of the tripod legs at your backyard observing location.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 20, 2021 9:20 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Mach2 vs. 1100

I know both mounts are excellent and it is difficult for me to choose one. My thoughts are as follows:

Masahiko Niwa

Masahiko Niwa

Rolando,

Thank you for your precise information. That is very helpful.
I will consider it, but I would like to choose the 1100 for now considering the situation I will use and future usage.

Best Regards,
Masahiko Niwa

Roland Christen

Good choice for sure.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Jun 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Rolando,

Thank you for your precise information. That is very helpful.
I will consider it, but I would like to choose the 1100 for now considering the situation I will use and future usage.

Best Regards,
Masahiko Niwa

Nick Iversen

Just checking - can the Mach1 be taken apart in the same way as the Mach2? It looks like it even though it only has 4 screws instead of 6.

Roland Christen

The Mach1 can be taken apart like the 1100. The Dec axis can be removed from the RA axis. Removing the base is also possible, so you can have 3 separate pieces.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Jun 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Just checking - can the Mach1 be taken apart in the same way as the Mach2? It looks like it even though it only has 4 screws instead of 6.

George Hripcsak

This thread reminded me of a stupid mistake I made a few days ago. I removed the 30 lbs telescope from my AP1100, but I forgot to remove the 30 lbs counterweight.

The main problem with the AP1100 is that it doesn't complain when you do something stupid. It dutifully slewed and tracked my small refractor. In retrospect, there was a slightly different sound than usual, but not enough to alert me. Please don't do this at home as I am sure it will wear the worm gear prematurely. But any mount that does not notice a 30 lbs imbalance is pretty amazing. (And we are talking about a mount that comes in 30 lbs pieces, not a monster.)

The other problem is that the AP1100 becomes less portable over time. Because you keep getting heavier scopes and more weights. Every time you purchase another 30 lbs weight, you really need to ask yourself what you are thinking of. I am at 100 lbs now and looking at another 30 (mainly because double mounting two big scopes pushes them further from the center).

George

Ross Elkins

Although there’s no comparison in other more important ways between the 2 brands, my G11 is robust enough to do this, especially with the Maxon motors!
Ross