Leo Galaxy Tour

Roland Christen

Hello Astronuts,

While visiting Hawaii in the spring of last year I had a few clear nights and did a galaxy tour in Leo. Here are some of the images. All were short exposures, snapshots if you will, and I was mainly concentrating in resolving the cores of these galaxies at the expense of the deeper field. Thus the short exposures of 300 to 600 seconds in order to prevent saturating the cores and blowing up the detail. I only had a few days that were suitable for imaging these cool galaxies. All were taken with the 175 EDF on the 1600 Encoder mount, unguided.

https://www.astrobin.com/um0g02/
https://www.astrobin.com/fwk2ce/
https://www.astrobin.com/g34h6r/
https://www.astrobin.com/aj8xuq/

They are in my staging area, I'm too embarrassed to show them to the rest of the Astrobin crowd Grin

Rolando

midmoastro

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing.
Todd

Pete Lardizabal

Nice snapshots Roland!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Pete

On Nov 22, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hello Astronuts,

While visiting Hawaii in the spring of last year I had a few clear nights and did a galaxy tour in Leo. Here are some of the images. All were short exposures, snapshots if you will, and I was mainly concentrating in resolving the cores of these galaxies at the expense of the deeper field. Thus the short exposures of 300 to 600 seconds in order to prevent saturating the cores and blowing up the detail. I only had a few days that were suitable for imaging these cool galaxies. All were taken with the 175 EDF on the 1600 Encoder mount, unguided.

https://www.astrobin.com/um0g02/
https://www.astrobin.com/fwk2ce/
https://www.astrobin.com/g34h6r/
https://www.astrobin.com/aj8xuq/

They are in my staging area, I'm too embarrassed to show them to the rest of the Astrobin crowd Grin

Rolando

R Botero

Oh this one, NGC3368, is a thing of beauty.  You need to add more luminance and colour next time you are over in Hawaii.  What about setting a remote observatory so you can test/image from cold Illinois?

Roberto

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 03:46 AM, Roland Christen wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/um0g02/

Stuart

Well as snapshots go these are amazing! I think most people would be posting them widely and bragging about them.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 22:46, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Astronuts,

While visiting Hawaii in the spring of last year I had a few clear nights and did a galaxy tour in Leo. Here are some of the images. All were short exposures, snapshots if you will, and I was mainly concentrating in resolving the cores of these galaxies at the expense of the deeper field. Thus the short exposures of 300 to 600 seconds in order to prevent saturating the cores and blowing up the detail. I only had a few days that were suitable for imaging these cool galaxies. All were taken with the 175 EDF on the 1600 Encoder mount, unguided.

They are in my staging area, I'm too embarrassed to show them to the rest of the Astrobin crowd Grin

I would love to remote image, but the roof is a problem. I can't really automate it. I usually do a lot of software and hardware testing when I'm there, and the imaging of deep sky objects is a secondary thing.

Oh this one, NGC3368, is a thing of beauty.  You need to add more luminance and colour next time you are over in Hawaii.  What about setting a remote observatory so you can test/image from cold Illinois?

Roberto

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 03:46 AM, Roland Christen wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/um0g02/

Stuart

Rolando, I am sure there are lots of experts here on this list but in my case, for two different roll-off designs, I got a local Industrial Overhead Door guy to come over and he was able to rig up a solution both times (different solutions for different designs). Maybe that would be a local option?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 13:31, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would love to remote image, but the roof is a problem. I can't really automate it. I usually do a lot of software and hardware testing when I'm there, and the imaging of deep sky objects is a secondary thing.

Oh this one, NGC3368, is a thing of beauty.  You need to add more luminance and colour next time you are over in Hawaii.  What about setting a remote observatory so you can test/image from cold Illinois?

Roberto

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 03:46 AM, Roland Christen wrote:

Roland Christen

I have no options since we are part of an association with very strict rules on roof design.

[...]

Ah. That I’ve also experienced. Frustrating.

Stuart