Issue with installing ZWO EAF on 92mm Stowaway

denicewoody@...

This may be a duplicate so apologies.  I watched YouTube videos on how to install on a refractor.  The 1st step is to remove the screw nearest presumably to the coarse knob along with the large turn screw nearer to the fine knob.

I turned the refractor so the focus knobs are on top for ease of install but none of my hex keys work.  I have USA, Metric, English and Star types.  And I know to turn to the left to loosen but nada.  Am so frustrated right now and hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or what size/type hex key to use.  Or should I be installing on the fine focus side contrary to the videos?  Worst case the screw was stripped at install and I have to send back to AP or otherwise the ZWO EAF becomes an expensive paperweight... which might be cheaper than the cost of shipping back the scope... 😢

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Denice

Roland Christen

The focuser is made by Starlight Instruments (a standard 2" Feathertouch focuser). It can be removed from the scope if need be and sent in for service without sending the whole scope.

The screw uses a 1/16 inch Allen key. Do not try to unscrew it with a ball end, use the short end for more leverage. Make sure that the Allen key is not worn on its end. You may need to sharpen it on a grinding wheel is it seems to be slipping. the screw should turn easily in the counterclockwise direction. I have no trouble loosening it on any of the focusers we have in stock from Starlight Instruments.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Issue with installing ZWO EAF on 92mm Stowaway

This may be a duplicate so apologies.  I watched YouTube videos on how to install on a refractor.  The 1st step is to remove the screw nearest presumably to the coarse knob along with the large turn screw nearer to the fine knob.

I turned the refractor so the focus knobs are on top for ease of install but none of my hex keys work.  I have USA, Metric, English and Star types.  And I know to turn to the left to loosen but nada.  Am so frustrated right now and hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or what size/type hex key to use.  Or should I be installing on the fine focus side contrary to the videos?  Worst case the screw was stripped at install and I have to send back to AP or otherwise the ZWO EAF becomes an expensive paperweight... which might be cheaper than the cost of shipping back the scope... 😢

Denice

Roland Christen

The focuser is made by Starlight Instruments (a standard 2" Feathertouch focuser). It can be removed from the scope if need be and sent in for service without sending the whole scope.
In fact, if you have a mechanics shop anywhere in your area, they can for sure remove a screw, even if the Allen head is stripped. They will use a simple impact driver to loosen and remove it. A new screw can then be fitted.

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2021 5:47 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Issue with installing ZWO EAF on 92mm Stowaway

The screw uses a 1/16 inch Allen key. Do not try to unscrew it with a ball end, use the short end for more leverage. Make sure that the Allen key is not worn on its end. You may need to sharpen it on a grinding wheel is it seems to be slipping. the screw should turn easily in the counterclockwise direction. I have no trouble loosening it on any of the focusers we have in stock from Starlight Instruments.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Issue with installing ZWO EAF on 92mm Stowaway

Denice

denicewoody@...

Telling me to use the 1/16th size did the trick... yay!  

I hadn’t tried that small thinking it should be just a bit smaller than the hole.

Roland once again coming to the rescue!

👏👏👏

Roland Christen

Cool!

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Issue with installing ZWO EAF on 92mm Stowaway

Telling me to use the 1/16th size did the trick... yay!  
I hadn’t tried that small thinking it should be just a bit smaller than the hole.

Roland once again coming to the rescue!

👏👏👏

ROBERT WYNNE

I don't know if this will be of any help. I recently ran into an installation that used reverse torx screws. That is the torx wrench is a negative space while the torx wrench capped over the to tighten and loosen the torx screw. It drove me crazy and the hardware store swore they did not have a wrench to fit this design. Apparently vendors are using a number of unique head designs to discourage end users the ability to repair failed units at home. -Best, Robert

On 04/26/2021 3:33 PM denicewoody@... wrote:

Denice