From: Chris White <chris.white@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 30, 2022 11:06 am
Subject: [ap-ug] Iris Nebula Widefield- e160ed and Mach2

After battling with HOO and HaLRGB versions of the Ghost of Cass, I decided to step back into my wheelhouse on this one... I love capturing dusty dark nebula targets, and this is my favorite time of year when the nights are relatively long and Cassiopeia and Cepheus are high in the sky.  There is so much interesting "stuff" in this region of the sky and with the e160ed and IMX455 the FOV is so large that it puts some perspective on these objects.  You can capture so many targets, big and small in the same frame.

I've imaged both these primary targets before, but never together.  I think it would be an amazing project to mosaic this entire area, but I'm a bit intimidated by the idea and may hold off for another season.

This is my first pass at processing the data.  As always, there is something that I want to tweak but cant put my finger on it.  I find that just putting it out there sometimes helps to inspire me on what I want to work on.  I find your feedback very helpful in guiding my hand on the final tweaks.  I think maybe I need a little more color in there.  I've only captured an hour of each channel, and at times like these I find no matter how much I push the saturation it doesnt seem to line up well with the luminance application.  The only real solution is to capture more color data.  Perhaps another night spent gathering data would be time well spent.  So for me, I'd like to see a little more color information, but not just a saturation boost.  These are some faint structures and I dont think I have enough photons.

So on that note, your comments are very welcome!

Captured with Tak Epsilon 160ed, QHY600, unguided on a Mach2 and first time using Astronomik Deep Sky LRGB filters.  Since these filters are thinner than my Chromas, I needed to reduce my spacing which of course put my tilt management out of whack.  I spent a little time roughing it in before imaging, but my toes got cold and I wanted to image.  I need to add a little spacing and adjust tilt, so I'll refine on my next outing.

https://astrob.in/69back/0/

Karen Christen

Some really cool dust there, Chris!

Karen

AP

[...]

Chris White

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:53 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
That is a very fine result. You obviously have a very dark sky in your neck of the woods. Around here I would get the Walmart nebula with those kind of exposures.

Rolando
Thank you Roland. I live under B3/B4 skies, so certainly not your B12.

But I will add that while good data is 80% of it the other 80% is processing.  Most people would be surprised what you can tease out of even light polluted skies.  I've been very surprised myself when committing the sin of imaging broadband under a full moon.

Your 110 is a perfect scope for your skies.  I bet even dusty targets would be possible with a reasonable 8 to 12 hour integration.

Chris White

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 01:14 PM, Karen Christen wrote:

Some really cool dust there, Chris!

Karen

AP

Thanks karen!

Stuart

Chris, can't think of anything but WOW! LOVE THIS ONE!

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 04:40 PM, Stuart wrote:
Chris, can't think of anything but WOW! LOVE THIS ONE!

Stuart Heggie
Thank you so much Stuart!  I appreciate the kind words.

Luca Marinelli

Beautiful work, Chris! You know you want to go on the other side of the Iris to the Ghost and mosaic the two frames. It would make an awesome banner.

Luca

Chris White

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 05:53 PM, Luca Marinelli wrote:
Beautiful work, Chris! You know you want to go on the other side of the Iris to the Ghost and mosaic the two frames. It would make an awesome banner.

Luca
Thanks Luca.  I know, it's right there just begging for it isnt it!?

Paul Nelson

Chris,

Another well-done image, especially considering the time invested. I tend to be one that prefers detail images rather than wide-field like this (even though I don't have a scope I can use with enough focal length to do anything different), but this has enough details in the dust to keep my interest. I think you might be right with more data bringing more color (to both the nebula and the dust) and making a really nice image even more exceptional. Some of the more interesting images of this area I have seen have the dust a more red-brown, which I think compliments the blue of the Iris nicely. I've imaged this myself (and cropped it significantly for my AstroBin profile pic), albeit with lesser equipment, and this motivates me to go back and give it another try. Nicely done!

Paul

Chris White

And here is my updated Iris Widefield with the addition of an additional night of RGB data.  I'm quite happy now with the colors and I think the additional color information made a much nicer image.  It was so much easier to process than before.

I think that as I experiment with this scope, that I will plan on putting two full nights (or 12 hours) of data collection on any given target.  The extra RGB made a tremendous difference.

https://astrob.in/69back/C/

Stuart

Chris, this is such a great shot!!!