From: John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Nov 17, 2021 11:13 am
Subject: [ap-ug] IC-405, SH2-229 Neb HII "The Flaming Star" - OSC 4.33 hours Narrowband + Broadband

I shot the narrowband part (IDAS NBZ filter, 75% of stack) the first night, and then due to a mistaken filter in my session list, I shot a Broadband (IDAS D3 filter, 25% of stack) the second night. I combined and stacked with ASTAP. The results were actually interesting. I had been experimenting with Narrow and Broadband images separately, but the mixture of the two seems to bring out the core contrast while adding something to the rest of the image. I like this rendition the best of the images I've acquired so far.  Haven't fixed the slight tilt yet, but I thought it was worth showing.

AP155edfs, QHY268C, Mach1

https://astrob.in/full/fatg86/0/

John

Stuart

John, that is a very interesting shot! Superb detail. I'm used to seeing the reflection components as VERY blue but that might not be possible with the filters you're using. Unless you shot unfiltered for a broad spectrum overlay? Would that add them? Like I know. LOL!

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 at 12:13, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:
I shot the narrowband part (IDAS NBZ filter, 75% of stack) the first night, and then due to a mistaken filter in my session list, I shot a Broadband (IDAS D3 filter, 25% of stack) the second night. I combined and stacked with ASTAP. The results were actually interesting. I had been experimenting with Narrow and Broadband images separately, but the mixture of the two seems to bring out the core contrast while adding something to the rest of the image. I like this rendition the best of the images I've acquired so far.  Haven't fixed the slight tilt yet, but I thought it was worth showing.

AP155edfs, QHY268C, Mach1

https://astrob.in/full/fatg86/0/

John

Ross Elkins

Flame On!!!

Pretty cool John

Ross

John Jennings

Edited

Stuart,

The broadband image with the IDAS D3 filter includes a built in IR Block. That's pretty much required when shooting OSC cameras. Any oddities about the reflections are probably due to non linear stretching to emphasize the core.

I've found by using the IDAS D3 filter in dark skies the Contrast to Noise ratio in CCD Inspector is improved without sacrificing any significant colors for me. Star colors look nice, clean and balanced. This filter was originally designed for to eliminate airglow. I've compared images taken with the HEUBI (UV/IR) filter in the dark skies and I think I might be gaining a little S/N with the D3.

Interesting video's about airglow and the IDAS D3:

https://youtu.be/EwqWdy_ZUX8

https://youtu.be/n_MJDL2m_8w

Here's the bandpass info on the filters I used: