From: midmoastro <teche70@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Nov 30, 2022 4:46 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] IC342 with the Stowaway

I'm still stumbling through processing with Pixinsight but am getting better slowly. This revision looks better than the original and the max res image looks fairly smooth. The revision came about after I looked at someone else's picture of IC342 with a similar scope thinking, "how did their galaxy get so bright?" Well, it turns out I just wasnt performing a specific step. Still lots to work on but getting there. The stars are a bit bloated but I think I can correct that better now.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/c8zhzs/B/

90 minutes total with the Stowaway at F/5.3
Zwo 2600MC
Mach2 unguided.

midmoastro

Thanks Roland. I appreciate the input. It's probably my processing and the fact that I looked at some pictures online and saw some with a darker color so when I applied the saturation, it was overkill.  Think I looked at this picture: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160129.html
That and when I went back to brighten the galaxy it just amplified it. As I work through these steps its helping me to understand what to apply where, but after this one I just needed a break ;-)

In my processing steps, I used the new PIxinsight SPCC but applied the saturation a little too much afterwards. I dont know about everyone else, but after starring at it for a while I just get adapted or used to seeing it that way. I've found when I come back to some pictures 24 hours later or longer, I go, wow that looks too dim or too bright, or to dark, not dark enough.

How does one go about setting these color properly? How would one know, this is the right color, vs this color? Is it best to apply PCC or SPCC and just nudge the saturation, if at all?

Thanks
Todd

Roland Christen

I could be wrong, and your colors may be what the galaxy looks like.

[...]

Joel Short

Very nice image, especially for only 90min.

The reason the galaxy is more brown is because from our point of view the galaxy lies in the same path as the plane of our Milky Way galaxy, and the intervening galactic dust shrouds what would otherwise be a much more prominently visible galaxy.  This is also why the unofficial name is the "Hidden Galaxy."
joel

Dean Jacobsen

Yes, the colors of that particular galaxy are reddened because the light has to pass through more dust than we are used to seeing for galaxies in general.

Nice image Todd.
--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

midmoastro

Thank you Joel, thank you Dean.

Todd

Stuart

Todd, I think this is a super image. Others have already commented on why it suffers so much reddening so ...

Anyway, I use PCC in PixInsight but am keen to use the new SPCC. Right now it requires the db to be local so I have just been lazy about downloading it and reading the instructions of where to store it.

When I apply  saturation boost in PI I mask the background and boost only the highlights which tends to be the field stars and the brightest parts of other objects. I think it's fine if done with a light touch.

As for staring at an image for too long and no longer being able to see it objectively ... that's all of us on team-imaging. ;-)

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 17:46, midmoastro <teche70@...> wrote:
I'm still stumbling through processing with Pixinsight but am getting better slowly. This revision looks better than the original and the max res image looks fairly smooth. The revision came about after I looked at someone else's picture of IC342 with a similar scope thinking, "how did their galaxy get so bright?" Well, it turns out I just wasnt performing a specific step. Still lots to work on but getting there. The stars are a bit bloated but I think I can correct that better now.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/c8zhzs/B/

90 minutes total with the Stowaway at F/5.3
Zwo 2600MC
Mach2 unguided.

midmoastro

Hi Stuart, and thank you.
I used SPCC on this image but I did hit it with a little saturation boost. I went back and compared this image with SPCC only (no saturation boost) and while there is a slight difference, its really no that much but I can see it more red/brown. I did that to try and boost the star color a bit.

For SPCC and GAIA, I just parked the files on a folder under the root of C: Heads up, the full set is around 60GB and thats only the dr3/sp complete set.
More docs on installing here: https://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/SPCC/SPCC.html
You can place both the GAIA DR3 and DR3/SP files in the same folder, just be sure when you open the GAIA application, click the wrench icon, and under 'data release' select on the files that relate to each one. for GAIA DR3, select only those files with dr3 in them I think they pertain to location.  For spectrum, (DR3/SP) change the data release to "dr3/sp" and select only the files that have the letters "sp" in them.
For gdr3, I think there are only about 16 files total

For gdr3/sp, about 20 files

Stuart

Todd, this is really helpful, thanks!!

Stuart