Hubble vs C14

Christopher Go

Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same time. I processed both images. The HST image has list light unsharp masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Pete Lardizabal

Congratulations Christopher!

Absolutely magnificent works!!!

On Nov 20, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Christopher Go <chris@cstoneind.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same time. I processed both images. The HST image has list light unsharp masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Chris White

Really great work!  Congrats.

Chris Cook

Wow!

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time. I processed both images. The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Stuart

So impressive!!!

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 7:09 AM Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:
Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time.  I processed both images.  The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Roland Christen

Very cool!

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time.  I processed both images.  The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Eric Weiner

Wow!

Ross Elkins

What a standard you have reached with the C14!
Congratulations Chris

Richard Hennig

Hi Chris,

This is outstanding. You have some amazing skills.

Clear skies,
Richard

[...]

Ram

Wow. That’s much closer than I expected!

On Nov 20, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Richard Hennig <richardghennig@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Kurt Friedrich

Why does Hubble have the blue fringe, I always assumed that was an Earth's atmosphere thing?

On Saturday, November 20, 2021, 11:51:55 AM PST, Ram <ramviswanathan@...> wrote:

Wow. That’s much closer than I expected!
> On Nov 20, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Richard Hennig <richardghennig@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> This is outstanding. You have some amazing skills.
>
> Clear skies,
> Richard
>
>> On Nov 20, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same time.  I processed both images.  The HST image has list light unsharp masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.
>>
>> I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of the Hubble data.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris
>>
>> Christopher and Vicky Go
>> Christone Industries
>> Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
>> Cebu, Philippines
>> http://www.christone.net
>> astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
>> HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

ROBERT WYNNE

The quality of both images is remarkably similar. Why did you say we need a HST? -Best, robert

On 11/20/2021 4:09 AM Christopher Go <chris@cstoneind.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time. I processed both images. The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Christopher Go

The blue edge is due to the fact that this is NOT a true color RGB image but a narrow band RBV, with V as in Violet. This color combo gives a weird bluish edge.

Regards,
Chris

wrote:
Hi guys,
Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time. I processed both images. The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.
I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.
Regards,
Chris
Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com [1]
Links:
------
[1] http://www.redspotjr.com
[2] https://ap-ug.groups.io/g/main/message/88241
[3] https://groups.io/mt/87192108/171473
[4] https://ap-ug.groups.io/g/main/post
[5] https://ap-ug.groups.io/g/main/editsub/171473
[6] https://ap-ug.groups.io/g/main/leave/4730653/171473/459501464/xyzzy

fernandorivera3

Impressive color & detail of Jupiter!
Way to go, Chris 👍

Fernando

Suresh Mohan

You Rock !
Suresh

On Nov 20, 2021, at 9:23 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Very cool!

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same
time.  I processed both images.  The HST image has list light unsharp
masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went
through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of
the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Astrobob

Sent from Mail for Windows

Chris Go, you are the Matthew Brady of planetary imaging!

Congratulations,

Bob

Andrew Arai

Chris,

Your image is literally out of this world.

Andrew

Donald Gaines

Hi Chris,

What a great image.  The Hubble cost 36 Million to build. Launch and servicing missions drove the total cost to over a Billion, and you managed to capture an image with almost the same level of detail with a C14 and probably an Astro-Physics mount, at a fraction of the cost.  Really motivating for the amateur.  It’s really amazing people like Roland and his team can produce the fine equipment they do.

Regards,
Don

On Saturday, November 20, 2021, Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:
Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between an image of Jupiter taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and a C14. This was imaged almost at the same time.  I processed both images.  The HST image has list light unsharp masking and contrast enhancement while the earth based image went through wavelets, noise reduction and some more hard sharpening.

I was fortunate to be given the opportunity have an early access of the Hubble data.

Regards,
Chris

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Quality Furniture
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astronomy homepage: http://astro.christone.net
HST Jupiter Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com

Christopher M

Nicely done.  I can't wait to see what you would do with one of Roland's Maksutov's or any other better telescope.

The amount of resolution and detail that can be achieved with lucky imaging is not scope dependent. A scope can have very poor contrast, which would make it a poor visual instrument, but when you combine thousands of very short exposures with lucky imaging techniques, you can achieve the theoretical resolution of that aperture. Low contrast becomes meaningless because you can enhance that with filtering techniques (wavelets and other sharpening). Aperture and good seeing are of prime importance for imaging planets.

Therefore, for imaging of planets, aperture is always going to be king. I have seen even higher resolution images of Jupiter taken with an amateur instrument (36" i believe) on a mountain top in Chile at Cerro Tololo. Marj and I spent a week at Cerro Tololo a number of years ago and I can tell you that the seeing there is second to none.

For visual, the human eye/brain does not have the luxury of enhancing contrast or stacking many thousands of video frames. Therefore a good optical system will need high contrast. That means excellent polish and figure, and a very small secondary obstruction. I have pointed my 10" Mak-Cass (23% obstruction) at Jupiter right next to my 17" Cassegrain (34% secondary obstruction). Almost always the 10" presents a cleaner and more contrasty image and will show more fleeting detail. The local seeing does not support the 17" aperture except for very rare nights that occur maybe once in a blue moon. The 10" is a much more satisfying scope to use visually. A C14 at our location is not any better than my 17" for visual planetary observations. The 10" beats them both by a mile.

Nicely done.  I can't wait to see what you would do with one of Roland's Maksutov's or any other better telescope.