How big is the AP team?

Chris White

I've interacted with quite a few of you, George, Karen, Daleen, Roland, Marj, Dave, Amber... And you have all been so kind and helpful!

Every so often I see another name pop up on the forum or get linked in on an eMail thread....  Mike, Harold, etc...

So curious, how many members strong is the AP team?  Who is missing from the above list?

:-)

Karen Christen

Hi Chris,

I’m happy you asked because I LOVE bragging about our team.  We have a fabulous group!  The Astro-Folks are:

Customer Service/Sales/Office Operations: Daleen, Paige, Amber

Bookkeeping: Yvonne

Packing/Shipping/Receiving: Amanda

Tech Support: Howard & George

Machining: Loren, Mike L, Chris, & Sam

Finishing: Don & Vic

Electronics Assembly: Cindy

Mount Assembly & Testing: Dave

Assembly & Finishing Production: Eric & Hayden

Small Optics Assembly: Brian

Software & Servo Engineer: Mike H

Production Management: Christine

Machining & Finishing Supervisor/Chief Designer: Robert

HR/Accounting/General Operations: Karen

Master Optician/Knower of Things: Roland

The True Power Behind the Throne: Marj

Some general trivia:

Nine of the folks above have been with us for at least 15 years, and 2 of them – Christine & Brian – have been with us for more than 30 years.

Roland, Robert, Mike H, Loren, Howard, George, Dave and Hayden are all amateur astronomers.  Robert is the president of our local astronomy club.

A lot of our crew are “car guys”, which is partly why some of our products are named for cars.

We currently have an opening in our Finishing Department.  Like all other companies, we’re finding it challenging to fill it.  😝

Everyone on our team is highly skilled.  The folks you interact with are super-knowledgeable, helpful, and kind.  Our production folks are true craftspeople.  Everyone is focused on making the highest quality astro equipment available and providing the very best service.  We’re very fortunate to have this group at AP!

Karen

I've interacted with quite a few of you, George, Karen, Daleen, Roland, Marj, Dave, Amber... And you have all been so kind and helpful!

Every so often I see another name pop up on the forum or get linked in on an eMail thread....  Mike, Harold, etc...

So curious, how many members strong is the AP team?  Who is missing from the above list?

:-)

DFisch

Karen, that last title on the list “TPBT”, reminds me of the Brits term “HRM”, clearly Roland “married up” as many of us have. Thanks for the game day program it’s clear why you can brag about that crew. Many thanks for running such a great shop and enterprise. I look at my little (400) QMD and know that it will be a piece of astronomical excellence for many more years to come. What a legacy.!
Tom Fischer

--
TJF MOBILE

Chris White

Thanks Karen!  It's great to learn a little more about the people behind AP.  You have a larger team than I was imagining, and this list definitely helps put everything into a little more perspective!  Having an AP scope and mount, it's obvious to me that everyone there strives for excellence, and that so many of your team are so long term says a lot about the culture of the company.   A friend of mine turned me on to AP gear, always gushing about the QUALITY of the product and the SERVICE behind it.  While AP may be fortunate to have this group, we as customers are even more fortunate that you do.

Thanks for taking the time to draw up that list!

M Hambrick

Thanks for sharing with us Karen.

There used to be someone named Wally in the mount department who helped me with my old 800 mount on a couple of occasions, once as recently as 2016. I expect that by now he has retired.

Mike

Geof Lewis

Hi Mike,
I know from personal experience that Wally retired in March 2017. I had a support call scheduled with Howard to talk me through the RA spur gear adjustment procedure, as I had been getting some strange cross talk between the Dec and RA axes of my pre-owned AP1200 mount. Howard invited Wally onto the call, as he had been the person who had originally assembled my mount back in 2007, so how is that for service...!! Apart from showing me how to adjust the spur gear on the RA assembly, we discovered that I hadn't fully tightened the RA and Dec sections to each other, hence Dec guiding pulses were setting off vibrations in the RA gear train too (isn't it usually the way that user error is the primary problem...?!!). Anyway, it was good to speak directly with Wally, who told me that he was retiring that very week, so I was one of if not the last customer to get direct telephone support from him. Needless to say, my AP1200 mount has behaved itself impeccably ever since the call. The service from AP staff is just awesome.
Cheers,

Geof