From: Khushrow Machhi via groups.io <kmachhi@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Horsehead Nebula and M42 two panel mosaic with 130GTX + QTCC

https://www.astrobin.com/dh8m66/?nc=user

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

Karen Christen

Lots of dust detail in there, Khushrow!  Nicely done.

Karen

AP

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

George Ionas

Stunning image Khushrow. What Gain and Offset did you used on the ASI6200MM-Pro camera.

George

On 19/02/2021 8:00 am, Khushrow Machhi via groups.io wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/dh8m66/?nc=user

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

Khushrow Machhi

For LRGB I use G=0 and offset=50, for NB G=100 and offset=50.  I really like the sensitivity of the ASI6200MM, it is a good camera.
Khushrow

Harley Davidson

Breathtaking image...!

tony

On 2/18/2021 2:00 PM, Khushrow Machhi via groups.io wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/dh8m66/?nc=user

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

Joel Short

Very nicely processed.  It's a winner!
joel

Jon

Very nice!

Stuart

Beautiful shot Khushrow!

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:00, Khushrow Machhi via groups.io <kmachhi=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/dh8m66/?nc=user

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

ROBERT WYNNE

How long did it take to process this impressive image? -Best, Robert

On 02/18/2021 1:29 PM Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

Beautiful shot Khushrow!

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:00, Khushrow Machhi via groups.io <kmachhi= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/dh8m66/?nc=user

This is a two panel mosaic taken last month, RGB from a dark sky sight at TDS, Ca and Ha for luminance from my backyard in Carlsbad, Ca.  Taken with my 130GTX and the QTCC on a 1100GTO-AE mount.
Khushrow

Khushrow Machhi

If I was processing just the single images without putting together the mosaic then probably 3-4 nights and spending 2-3 hours each night would have done it.  Putting together the mosaic and getting it to a point where I was satisfied with the seams merging took a long time.  I restarted three times before getting to the point where I was satisfied.  And so it took almost a month after I captured the data to my post this morning, working on it 2-3hours each night 4-5 nights a week for the past month.

Roland Christen

Doing mosaics is definitely an art and is difficult. Especially one with color data. You have done a masterful job.

Three of us local amateurs once made a 9 panel mosaic using small chip ST8 cameras and long focus telescopes (long focus to get high res detail). Getting the RGB data took months, a whole summer in fact. We wrestled with cloudy nights, poor seeing at times, Moon being up and causing gradients, tracking issues, etc etc. After producing hundreds of individual RGB exposures, it was left to me to stitch it all together. The first few tries produced a total mess.

I had to re-shoot the object with my wide-field Traveler scope and a larger chip ST10 to get a single underlying reference image that could be used to place the high res images over the top. Each individual RGB had to be stretched, processed and gradient removed to look like its 4 neighbors before it could be permanently attached. This took another couple of months and we finally had a finished image that could be laser printed on 50" photo paper to produce an image that you could examine with a magnifying glass and see tiny detail. Today, you could shoot this same object with a single chip color camera and get the same result.

We've come a long way, baby! Smile

If I was processing just the single images without putting together the mosaic then probably 3-4 nights and spending 2-3 hours each night would have done it.  Putting together the mosaic and getting it to a point where I was satisfied with the seams merging took a long time.  I restarted three times before getting to the point where I was satisfied.  And so it took almost a month after I captured the data to my post this morning, working on it 2-3hours each night 4-5 nights a week for the past month.

Stuart

Rolando, there is now a very useful tool in PixInsight called GradientMergeMosaic which follows your logic: create an underlying rough mosaic and map all the subs to that. The gradient tool built into it does an amazing job of removing the seams and smoothing the transitions.

The most I've done is the 2x2 Veil mosaic I posted in the summer.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 at 11:15, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll look into that if the need ever arises. Those tools were not available back in the 1980's, so we were on our own. We actually produced two large mosaic images, one of the Andromeda galaxy and the other of the Orion Nebula. We printed them on 50" wide photo paper and sold a limited number to a few amateurs here in the US. I have one of each on the wall in our showroom. The project burned out my two friends on ever doing this again.

If I was processing just the single images without putting together the mosaic then probably 3-4 nights and spending 2-3 hours each night would have done it.  Putting together the mosaic and getting it to a point where I was satisfied with the seams merging took a long time.  I restarted three times before getting to the point where I was satisfied.  And so it took almost a month after I captured the data to my post this morning, working on it 2-3hours each night 4-5 nights a week for the past month.

Stuart

MUCH too hard for me!

Stuart

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 11:45 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the insight. I thought this image represented a considerable amount of technical prowess and time. -Best, Robert