Hairy Beast

Roland Christen

My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

https://www.astrobin.com/qwcmt6/

Alan Friedman

Wonderful!

On Sep 8, 2021, at 10:16 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

https://www.astrobin.com/qwcmt6/

Clement Elechi

Hello, Roland,

That is a wonderful image.  Was it straight HOO or some other palette?  Also, you seem to have a lot more Ha than OIII.  I would have thought the opposite.

Thanks,

Clem

============================

My flickr gallery:

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021, 10:16:13 PM EDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

https://www.astrobin.com/qwcmt6/

Stuart

Gorgeous shot Rolando!

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 22:16, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

Chris Cook

Lots of detail.  Are you using the .67x tc?

My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

https://www.astrobin.com/qwcmt6/

Roland Christen

The 10" is an astrograph with 1600mm focal length. No telecompressor is used.

Astrographs, unlike refractors, have one function only - imaging. They are not versatile like refractors, which can be used with Barlows, telecompressors, bino-viewers, etc. This 10" was optimized for imaging in that the optics are quartz, the tube is carbon fiber. This combination eliminates almost all temperature focus issues.

The corrector + mirror + secondary radii are designed so that all wavelengths from 400nm to 700nm have less than 1/10 wave spherical error, something almost impossible in normal telescope designs except for pure mirror scopes. This allows any wavelength to be as sharp as any other and prevents bloating of stars at deep blue-violet wavelengths. It then produces the sharpest possible Luminance images where all the wavelengths contribute to the image.

Lots of detail.  Are you using the .67x tc?

My project for the last couple of days with the 10" Mak Astrograph.
Looks like a brain coral that needs a haircut. Processing took almost as long as the acquisition of the data.

https://www.astrobin.com/qwcmt6/

Bill Long

I'll take one. 🙂 Where do I sign up?

[...]

Joe Erickson

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Bill Long

I'd wager a guess at 9-10" backfocus.

How big is the flat corrected field?

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Roland Christen

There is no list at this point. There are a number of technical hurdles in making such an astrograph in production that I'm not ready to tackle yet. Covid and all, unfortunately has sidelined a lot of projects for the time being.

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Roland Christen

How big is the flat corrected field?
On this one I'm aiming for 60mm.

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Bill Long

Wow! How that turns out well. I can completely understand how difficult new designs can be to do in production in this messy supply chain environment COVID-19 caused. Sounds like one heck of an Astrograph though. As much as spikes can be made to look appealing, those nice round spike free stars always look best. It's really hard to find a nice Astrograph in the 15-1600 FL range at all, let alone one with a 60mm flat corrected field and no spikes.

Does it maintain its collimation like the other 10" Mak Cass?

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Roland Christen

Does it maintain its collimation like the other 10" Mak Cass?
Collimation is a given. No moving optics in this system.

Wow! How that turns out well. I can completely understand how difficult new designs can be to do in production in this messy supply chain environment COVID-19 caused. Sounds like one heck of an Astrograph though. As much as spikes can be made to look appealing, those nice round spike free stars always look best. It's really hard to find a nice Astrograph in the 15-1600 FL range at all, let alone one with a 60mm flat corrected field and no spikes.

Does it maintain its collimation like the other 10" Mak Cass?

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

Bill Long

Oh that's very nice. Scope like that I'd have no reservation putting in the SUV with the Mach 2 and imaging from some nice dark site.

What's it weigh?

Does it maintain its collimation like the other 10" Mak Cass?
Collimation is a given. No moving optics in this system.

Wow! How that turns out well. I can completely understand how difficult new designs can be to do in production in this messy supply chain environment COVID-19 caused. Sounds like one heck of an Astrograph though. As much as spikes can be made to look appealing, those nice round spike free stars always look best. It's really hard to find a nice Astrograph in the 15-1600 FL range at all, let alone one with a 60mm flat corrected field and no spikes.

Does it maintain its collimation like the other 10" Mak Cass?

May I ask how much the 10” astrograph weighs and how much backfocus it has?

I would also like to add my name to “the list” for this telescope :-}

Joe

ROBERT WYNNE

Also resembles a heart with calcified lesions, though not in the normal regions. Hope no one is in that state. -Best, Robert