Guideascope question

steven ho

I use the 10x60 Vario-Finder as a guidescope(FL is 250mm) on an AP-140 (FL 1050).

Would it be practical to put a 2X barlow into the "guidescope"?

the camera options available to me are QHY5-III178 and SBIG ST-i, both are mono.
QHY5-III178 = 2.4 µm pixel size and 1/1.8" sensor (USB3)
SBIG ST-i = 7.4 μm pixel size and 4.8 mm x 3.6 mm sensor (USB2)

Thanks for your help!!
Steven Hoffman

Steve -

what is the imagescale on your imaging setup? if you go with the smaller pixel QHY it's possible your image scale on the guidescope may be close enough that it works for you without a barlow.

I've seen people use barlows in the past with mixed results

--
Brian

Brian Valente

steven ho

It's Guidescope not a Guideascope, damn fat fingers.

LOL

steven ho

Thanks Brian, I will be using a QHY600M camera. Here are both scope and guidescope potential image scales....

Telescope
0.74 arc seconds per pixel at FL 1050mm
0.97 arc seconds per pixel at FL 798mm (with reducer)

Guidescope
1.98 arc seconds per pixel at FL 250mm
0.88 arc seconds per pixel at FL 563mm (with 2.25 barlow)

Steve

You will be fine without a barlow at those relative image scales

it's when you get above 3:1 that it gets dicey, and i would not go above 4:1

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 8:42 AM steven ho <StevenHoffman53@...> wrote:
Thanks Brian, I will be using a QHY600M camera. Here are both scope and guidescope potential image scales....

Telescope
0.74 arc seconds per pixel at FL 1050mm
0.97 arc seconds per pixel at FL 798mm (with reducer)

Guidescope
1.98 arc seconds per pixel at FL 250mm
0.88 arc seconds per pixel at FL 563mm (with 2.25 barlow)

Steve

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Eric Weiner

It seems to me that your imaging/guiding ratio is perfectly fine without the Barlow.  But, if you want to play with the numbers here is a good tool:

steven ho

Okay thanks gentlemen. I will be imaging without a barlow in the guidescope.

Steve

dvjbaja

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

Michael Kelly

Must be Italian. If it were Irish it would GuideO'Scope.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:37:54 AM EST, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

It's actually pronounced guideascopa

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

In German it would be Guidenderscope.

Must be Italian. If it were Irish it would GuideO'Scope.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:37:54 AM EST, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

In Los Angeles it would be #guidescopeomg! 👉🔭🌠🌛 😂😂

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In German it would be Guidenderscope.

Must be Italian. If it were Irish it would GuideO'Scope.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:37:54 AM EST, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

Brian

Brian Valente

Chris Cook

Like totally, for sure.

In Los Angeles it would be #guidescopeomg! 👉🔭🌠🌛 😂😂

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 7:58 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In German it would be Guidenderscope.

Must be Italian. If it were Irish it would GuideO'Scope.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:37:54 AM EST, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

Brian

Brian Valente

ROBERT WYNNE

If it were in Welsh it would be unpronouncable and unrecognizable in an English translation. -Best, Robert

On 01/12/2022 7:57 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

In German it would be Guidenderscope.

Must be Italian. If it were Irish it would GuideO'Scope.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 10:37:54 AM EST, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

I like "guideascope".  I will use it always in my astrophotography conversations from now on.

Michael Kelly

Guidenderscope Sounds like a medical device. I’m suddenly skeered!

Sent from Smallbiz Yahoo Mail for iPhone