Topics

locked Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

Roland Christen

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Rolando

thefamily90 Phillips

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:11:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

Kurt Friedrich

put the laptop in a cardboard box, as small as possible while still giving you access to it.
It generates its own heat, just give it a some insulation.

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 04:15:33 PM PST, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

Roland Christen

put the laptop in a cardboard box,
I have a nice insulated one, and yes, that works great.

Rol

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 6:34 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

put the laptop in a cardboard box, as small as possible while still giving you access to it.

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 04:15:33 PM PST, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

JimP 

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

John Nassr

I read with utter amazement what you endeavor to do in -20F. In truth, such temperatures are totally incomprehensible to someone like me from the tropics in the Philippines where the night time low is a balmy 72F, and believe it or not is "really cold" so that folks "need" a thin blanket at night!!

I look forward to more of your adventures in the freeze.

John

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:16:24 AM GMT+8, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rol

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

JimP 

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

Roland Christen

Yes, last summer I would not have imagined being out here at sub zero temps, imaging. However, things are going well. Tracking is proceeding at 0.25 arc sec RMS, even though the stars are a bit wooly due to poor seeing. They are not jumping around, just being somewhat fuzzy, which is typical of very cold nights here.

Might post a screen shot later when my fingers warm up. It is now -10F according to my thermometer. There's a lot of radiation to the dark sky, which is dropping the temperature rapidly. My 160 EDF refractor, which is airspaced, is holding its own. No issue as far as pinched optics or plumes. I would have expected some heat plumes from the CCD camera warming up the insides, but so far so good.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 7:59 pm

I read with utter amazement what you endeavor to do in -20F. In truth, such temperatures are totally incomprehensible to someone like me from the tropics in the Philippines where the night time low is a balmy 72F, and believe it or not is "really cold" so that folks "need" a thin blanket at night!!

I look forward to more of your adventures in the freeze.

John

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:16:24 AM GMT+8, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rol

JimP 

Rolando

--
Jim Phillips

Ross Elkins

Rolando, I have nothing but admiration for you and others like Stuart that brave the cold regularly. Here in California 40°F can qualify as 20° for us residents.
I grew up and lived in NYC until 1974 but lost the toughness to cold from those years if I ever had it! Sure, age must play its part!
However, I was just out running with my dog right up a mtn side on a favorite single track trail into a steady 20-30mph wind with higher gusts and teeth chattering glimpses of cold broken off puffs of fog clouds scudding by from the Pacific coastal mountain ridges.
So, while a marshmallow in some ways, I have become tougher in others! I guess its the standing around in the cold that I just cannot take as much anymore.
Here’s a pic from a warmer time! To cold for a selfie now and there’s the fog acting as our summer a/c!
Ross

thefamily90 Phillips

Must admit Ross you and I have something in common when it comes to cold. It was 45 degrees yesterday with a strong wind and occasional rain. There was plenty of moisture in the air and I was freezing. I think part of the problem is that we, here in S.C., are not dressed for the cold. On the other hand the heat, humidity and mosquitoes in the summer months may make up somewhat for the winter cold elsewhere. Well, that may be true on average but this is not an average winter. I have tremendous admiration for those of you who are braving the cold producing such beautiful images. 

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 12:48:41 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Rolando, I have nothing but admiration for you and others like Stuart that brave the cold regularly. Here in California 40°F can qualify as 20° for us residents.
I grew up and lived in NYC until 1974 but lost the toughness to cold from those years if I ever had it! Sure, age must play its part!
However, I was just out running with my dog right up a mtn side on a favorite single track trail into a steady 20-30mph wind with higher gusts and teeth chattering glimpses of cold broken off puffs of fog clouds scudding by from the Pacific coastal mountain ridges.
So, while a marshmallow in some ways, I have become tougher in others! I guess its the standing around in the cold that I just cannot take as much anymore.
Here’s a pic from a warmer time! To cold for a selfie now and there’s the fog acting as our summer a/c!
Ross

--
Jim Phillips

Peter Bresler

Not as cold here in Ca, but I got the system going, turn on Teamviewer, and spend the rest of the night in the house.

Roland Christen

Ross, you are right about the cold being a problem when you get older. Getting out is the biggest issue and that means i"m getting out of shape because I'm home bound. No way to take my daily trot on our Prairie path with 2 ft of snow cover. Next month I will have 2 weeks in Hawaii and plan to take lots of hikes along the Kohala coast.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 11:48 pm

Ross

ROBERT WYNNE

Glad to hear you're taken some time off from the grind. One of my favorite parts of Hawaii is Waipio Valley. The Muliwai trail on the opposite side of Waipio Valley ascends a steep cliff is a 20 miler roundtrip. Then there's watching the sun dogs that appear at sunset from the western flank of Mauna Kea looking west as the sun sets behind the islands best seen from the saddle road unless you're up at the observatory's - last for maybe 20 seconds. But as a kama'aina you've probably done all this. Have a good trip. -Best, Robert 

On 02/15/2021 7:30 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Ross, you are right about the cold being a problem when you get older. Getting out is the biggest issue and that means i"m getting out of shape because I'm home bound. No way to take my daily trot on our Prairie path with 2 ft of snow cover. Next month I will have 2 weeks in Hawaii and plan to take lots of hikes along the Kohala coast.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 11:48 pm

Ross

M Hambrick

Hawaii sure sounds nice. We are getting record cold temperatures down to 11 Deg F tonight in southeast Texas. The sky cleared up this afternoon and I thought about setting up my gear, but decided that the seeing will probably be lousy anyway.

Mike

M Hambrick

Roland

I always figured that during your visits to Hawaii you got up every morning and jogged up Kohala Ranch Rd to where it meets Route 250 and then back again. If I remember correctly that's about 3500 ft elevation change over about 4-1/2 miles :>)

Mike

Roland Christen

Oh sure! maybe in my next life. Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Feb 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Roland

I always figured that during your visits to Hawaii you got up every morning and jogged up Kohala Ranch Rd to where it meets Route 250 and then back again. If I remember correctly that's about 3500 ft elevation change over about 4-1/2 miles :>)

Mike

Ross Elkins

I have a feeling that would be a pretty awesome walk for a hiker like Rolando!
I’m close to him or the same age at 72 and run run everyday for 5 years now after being a mtn biker for 25 or so. I do a 500’ elevation change in a temperate climate and that my son is all I got! Then I run the fairly level ridge i’m on for another mile each way with a little 74 foot pimple that I run up and down just to add a goal. This is one reason why I’m not out at night with my telescope as much as I used to be but i’m planning on making it to 125 or 2074🤠
I really hope my longevity plan pays off in this life or whats next...

ROBERT WYNNE

We're about the same age. I enjoy hiking up the mountain tops in Marin rarely more than a 1,500' elevation gain. Also, and more routinely, running the tidal flats on top of the levees in N. Marin. Still hoping to get up to Whitney one more time. Probably will have to do a 2 day ascent. the old boy having lost a bit of cardio output. They say I have the cardio output of a 50 year old. I think you need to routinely strain your vessels at min max output so they don't get "sized" at a smaller diameter and claudicate. -Best, Robert

On 02/16/2021 9:08 PM Ross Elkins <rossmon1@comcast.net> wrote:

I’m close to him or the same age at 72 and run run everyday for 5 years now after being a mtn biker for 25 or so. I do a 500’ elevation change in a temperate climate and that my son is all I got! Then I run the fairly level ridge i’m on for another mile each way with a little 74 foot pimple that I run up and down just to add a goal. This is one reason why I’m not out at night with my telescope as much as I used to be but i’m planning on making it to 125 or 2074🤠

Roland Christen

It's always good to have a goal.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Feb 16, 2021 11:08 pm

M Hambrick

Hi again Marj

I forgot to ask earlier. Would your new Texan employee happen to be Liam, and is he an Aggie ?

Mike

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:11 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

liam@...

Howdy Mike,

What gave it away?

Liam Plybon

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 3:29 PM

Hi again Marj

I forgot to ask earlier. Would your new Texan employee happen to be Liam, and is he an Aggie ?

Mike

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:11 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

Alex M

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:30 AM, Roland Christen wrote:

Rolando
Hello Rolando,

I'm jealous of your trip to the Big Island! I was last there just before Thanksgiving. At the time, the trip required two covid tests. One before the flight and one at the airport upon landing. We were visiting the Kohala coast region to both relax and to look at land up north to potentially build a retirement home (With observatory). We found some lots with incredible views. Currently, we are deciding on whether to move forward or not. One of the big issues holding us up is both are sons are in still in CA and both are pursuing degrees as MDs. We want to stay close to them. At the time of our visit, the observatories were still closed as were many parks, etc. On another note, quite a while back, we purchased a lot in Kona in hopes of one day starting a coffee farm on it. I'm a big coffee aficionado and have been roasting my own coffee for the last twenty years. Today, I'm not sure I still have the energy to run a coffee farm. We will likely sell the land in Kona that is at around 2000 ft elevation.

Enjoy your visit!
Alex