From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:11:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

Kurt Friedrich

put the laptop in a cardboard box, as small as possible while still giving you access to it.
It generates its own heat, just give it a some insulation.

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 04:15:33 PM PST, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

Roland Christen

put the laptop in a cardboard box,
I have a nice insulated one, and yes, that works great.

Rol

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

John Nassr

I read with utter amazement what you endeavor to do in -20F. In truth, such temperatures are totally incomprehensible to someone like me from the tropics in the Philippines where the night time low is a balmy 72F, and believe it or not is "really cold" so that folks "need" a thin blanket at night!!

I look forward to more of your adventures in the freeze.

John

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:16:24 AM GMT+8, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

put the laptop in a cardboard box,
I have a nice insulated one, and yes, that works great.

Rol

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

Roland Christen

Yes, last summer I would not have imagined being out here at sub zero temps, imaging. However, things are going well. Tracking is proceeding at 0.25 arc sec RMS, even though the stars are a bit wooly due to poor seeing. They are not jumping around, just being somewhat fuzzy, which is typical of very cold nights here.

Might post a screen shot later when my fingers warm up. It is now -10F according to my thermometer. There's a lot of radiation to the dark sky, which is dropping the temperature rapidly. My 160 EDF refractor, which is airspaced, is holding its own. No issue as far as pinched optics or plumes. I would have expected some heat plumes from the CCD camera warming up the insides, but so far so good.