Ghosts of Cassiopeia

Paul Nelson

Hello All,

Like Chris, I have been working on the Ghosts of Cassiopeia, although with very different, old-school equipment; two Astro-modded Canon DSLRs (5DII with 500mm f/4L and 60D with Radian 61) controlled by intervelometers and double-mounted on my vintage 900HDA with no guiding and no computer control. When I was able to do 180 second exposures after adjusting the mesh, I decided to give this region a try using a combination of both cameras and RGB subs and narrowband subs captured with duo-narrowband filters (IDAS NBZ in 500mm f/4L and l-eNhance in Radian 61) and integrating them together. Captured in my front yard in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, mid-Bortle 4, during dark skies the at end of August/first of September. Stacked and saved with a stretch in Astro Pixel Processor, edited in Starnet++ V2, Lightroom, and some layer combinations in Photoshop. Attached is a low-resolution file and a link to AstroBin. Hopefully this doesn't look too bad next to Chris' beautiful work.

AstreoBin:
https://astrob.in/p1tds1/0/

Karen Christen

That’s lovely, Paul, and a nice testament to what can be achieved with “old-school equipment”!

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Nelson via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 8:37 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] Ghosts of Cassiopeia

Hello All,

Like Chris, I have been working on the Ghosts of Cassiopeia, although with very different, old-school equipment; two Astro-modded Canon DSLRs (5DII with 500mm f/4L and 60D with Radian 61) controlled by intervelometers and double-mounted on my vintage 900HDA with no guiding and no computer control. When I was able to do 180 second exposures after adjusting the mesh, I decided to give this region a try using a combination of both cameras and RGB subs and narrowband subs captured with duo-narrowband filters (IDAS NBZ in 500mm f/4L and l-eNhance in Radian 61) and integrating them together. Captured in my front yard in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, mid-Bortle 4, during dark skies the at end of August/first of September. Stacked and saved with a stretch in Astro Pixel Processor, edited in Starnet++ V2, Lightroom, and some layer combinations in Photoshop. Attached is a low-resolution file and a link to AstroBin. Hopefully this doesn't look too bad next to Chris' beautiful work.

AstreoBin:

Roland Christen

Excellent result considering the equipment used and the short exposures.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 29, 2022 8:36 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Ghosts of Cassiopeia

Hello All,

AstreoBin:

Chris White

Nice work Paul!  You did a great job taming Gamma Cas, which is not an easy task.  As I mentioned in my post it is a beast!

Also, nice work on colors, vibrant and soft.  I like it.  Cool old mount too!

Paul Nelson

That’s lovely, Paul, and a nice testament to what can be achieved with “old-school equipment”!

Karen

Thank you Karen! It is kind of fun to see what I can do with this mount. I am impressed with it, and do wish I could afford a 900GTO...

Paul

Paul Nelson

Excellent result considering the equipment used and the short exposures.

Roland
Thank you Roland! That is a nice compliment coming from someone with your experience. I need to try out my SBIG ST-4 camera and guiding computer and see how much I can extend the exposure time. I learned my lesson on trying to use a modern guide camera; I don't want to have to ask to have the hand controller fixed again.

Paul

Paul Nelson

Nice work Paul!  You did a great job taming Gamma Cas, which is not an easy task.  As I mentioned in my post it is a beast!

Also, nice work on colors, vibrant and soft.  I like it.  Cool old mount too!

Thank you Chris! Gamma Cas is a beast, but it makes it easier to find when you don't have any GoTo capability, so at least there is that plus. I've been enjoying what you have been posting, and had to think a little before posting my version, but I had already captured and started processing it when you shared your result, so I figured I should follow through (it did make me work a little harder, though). Thank you for the compliment; I've been using Lightroom for over 14 years for landscape and Northern Lights photography, and like what it can do. I got the 900HDA from the widow of the guy who bought it new in 1995, so it has some history behind it.

Paul

Stuart

Paul, super result period! That you did all this with the assortment of gear you used makes it even more impressive.

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 21:36, Paul Nelson via groups.io <creatorshandphoto=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello All,

AstreoBin:

Paul Nelson

Paul, super result period! That you did all this with the assortment of gear you used makes it even more impressive.

Stuart Heggie
Thank you Stuart!

Paul