From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of ROBERT WYNNE
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 1:36 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; Pete Lardizabal <p14@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Springtime friend...

That's a tour d' force in depth of field control for a telescope at close range. Keep up the good work. What is the depth of field for your fixed F stop at close range? I recall you had to continuously fine focus for ISS imaging. I have a hard time regarding depth of field for objects in orbit and beyond. -Best, Robert

On 04/03/2021 6:54 AM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:

Thanks Ross and Joseph!

They don’t stay still for long and given the small size and the shallow depth of field of a telescope one must constantly adjust focus when imaging hummingbirds. As noted in previous discussions I have the fine focus positioned on the left side of the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway to enable fine focus while having my right hand on the shutter release ready to go.

With respect to them being deadly they are rather intimidating when one flies up and hovers to inspect you a foot or so from your face! ☠️

I rescued two different female Ruby Throated Hummingbirds that managed to enter our screened pool enclosure last year. Once netted I gently handled each bird and released them without any fighting. One even perched on my finger for a few seconds and looked at me before flying off to a nearby branch.

Here is a hot off the press image of a male captured this morning warning himself in the sun. Same equipment and bird as yesterday’s image.

On Apr 3, 2021, at 12:38 AM, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:

I’m amazed you got that great shot of that bird, Pete!

I understand they are quite deadly :-)

thefamily90 Phillips

I had two big Jakes in front of me for over an hour yesterday morning but it was so cold my cell phone quit working. Heard some gobbling this morning but nothing came in.

JimP

Wish I had that setup to snag the turkeys doing their spring mating ritual here in the western sierra

--
Jim Phillips

Steve Reilly

Found this in my garage yesterday morning at 41F. Not so much fun these guys….copperhead.

-Steve

[...]

Harley Davidson

I don't like snakes. How did you get it out of the garage Steve or is it still their :)

tony

On 4/3/2021 7:39 PM, Steve Reilly wrote:

Found this in my garage yesterday morning at 41F. Not so much fun these guys???.copperhead.

??

-Steve

??

??

[...]

????

??

Pete

??

??

On Apr 3, 2021, at 12:38 AM, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:

I???m amazed you got that great shot of that bird, Pete!

I understand they are quite deadly :-)

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Yep, copperhead all right. You can tell he’s poisonous just by the shape of his head.

Jim P

[...]

Richard Crisp

This was a double date with two couples

Front yard in Sierra at ranch. I just mowed and they love it. They hung around for almost two hours pecking around at the stuff exposed by the mower.

I like to talk to the jakes: I’ll yell “gobble gobble gobble” and they answer me. It’s hilarious and provides comic relief. They really do like to talk like that but I have no idea what I’m saying in Turkey Talk (not Turkish!)

With that nice DSLR mated to a traveler or stowaway, I can only dream how good the photos would be.

The jakes are really colorful this time of year

“Corrected” by my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2021, at 4:21 PM, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

[...]

That’ll get your attention!

“Corrected” by my iPhone

[...]

<copperhead-crop.jpg>

Steve Reilly

I keep a snake stick handy. Lots of rat snakes last summer and a few good old black snakes. Nee to clear the perimeter of the garage and seal the foundation.

-Steve

[...]

Karen Christen

If I found that thing in my garage I’d burn the house down.  Or move. <shudders>  😜

Karen