Cosmic Crocodile vs Space Shark

AaronW

First time posting an image here (still think of myself as a newbie!).  Suggestions for improvement are very welcome!

Usually referred to as the Elephant's Trunk nebula, I see instead a crocodile with its jaws wide open (bottom left) and a shark (comprising various dark nebulae) diving out of an ocean of ionized oxygen gas and spewing dust into the crocodile's mouth.  Who will win this epic battle unfolding in the Cepheus constellation?

https://www.astrobin.com/p17ib5/

Equipment used:
Mount: Mach2GTO
Camera: ASI6200MM-pro
Scope: WO FLT 132mm (F/6.9)
Filters: Chroma 3nm (S/H/O)
Ha: 93 x 900s
S2: 83 x 900s
O3: 78 x 900s
Total: 63.5 hours
Bortle 7 (Santa Monica, CA)

-Aaron

Karen Christen

Aaron, that’s really cool!  Your rendition is beautiful, and I really like your interpretation.  Even though he’s smaller, I’m betting on Space Shark.

Karen

AP

[...]

Roland Christen

Nicely processed!

[...]

Pete Lardizabal

Well done Aaron!

On Sep 29, 2022, at 7:00 PM, AaronW <aaron.wilhelm@...> wrote:

[...]

Luca Marinelli

Nice work, Aaron! Great colors and detail.

Luca

On Sep 29, 2022, at 7:25 PM, Pete Lardizabal via groups.io <p14@...> wrote:

[...]

Dean Jacobsen

Looks great Aaron.  I don't think that I would ever be able to pull off a 63.5 hour image.  :-)
--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

AaronW

Eh, trying not to rush through the limited narrowband targets available to me.  I discarded 12 hours of substandard subs on this one!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 4:52 PM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
Looks great Aaron.  I don't think that I would ever be able to pull off a 63.5 hour image.  :-)
--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

Stuart

This is such a great shot Aaron!!! You should keep 'em coming!!

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 18:59, AaronW <aaron.wilhelm@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you -- means a lot!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 5:19 PM Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:
[...]

Ross Elkins

Very cool Aaron, I remember drooling over the WO132 many years ago! Still have my WO Patriot 66!
Ross

Chris White

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 06:59 PM, AaronW wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/p17ib5/
You're no newbie... lol.

Looks great.  Nicely composed and processed.  Great colors.  What's not to like?  Nice work!

AaronW

Thank you! One day I hope to be able to look back fondly on my WO scope, after having become a lucky owner of an A-P scope!

On Sep 29, 2022, at 20:01, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:

Very cool Aaron, I remember drooling over the WO132 many years ago! Still have my WO Patriot 66!
Ross

Roland Christen

I don't see anything wrong with your WO scope. The image that you got is fantastic. Why replace it?

Thank you!  One day I hope to be able to look back fondly on my WO scope, after having become a lucky owner of an A-P scope!

> On Sep 29, 2022, at 20:01, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:
>
> Very cool Aaron, I remember drooling over the WO132 many years ago! Still have my WO Patriot 66!
> Ross

AaronW

Thanks, Chris.  Big fan of your work.  2 years into this hobby and only 4 real images to show for it.  Little did I know that learning about processing/PixInsight would be just as daunting as learning about backfocus, autoguiding, encoder mounts, OAGs, filters, flat panels, etc.!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 8:11 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 06:59 PM, AaronW wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/p17ib5/
You're no newbie... lol.

Looks great.  Nicely composed and processed.  Great colors.  What's not to like?  Nice work!

AaronW

I feel the Mach2GTO I was lucky enough to get my hands on made my entry into this hobby so much easier and more rewarding than could have been the case.

The collective wisdom (not to mention beautiful images) of the A-P customers on these threads has been of immeasurable value to me.  I study publicly traded companies all day and one telltale sign of the truly special companies is a customer base that exhibits extreme loyalty.  This little company out of Illinois has that in spades.

Chalk it up to my experience with the Mach2, with the people who helped talk me through connecting my mount for the first time on the phone, to the fact that I'm also from the midwest...I know I'll just be happier with A-P products 🤷‍♂️

On Sep 29, 2022, at 20:55, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with your WO scope. The image that you got is fantastic. Why replace it?

Thank you!  One day I hope to be able to look back fondly on my WO scope, after having become a lucky owner of an A-P scope!

> On Sep 29, 2022, at 20:01, Ross Elkins <rossmon1@...> wrote:
>
> Very cool Aaron, I remember drooling over the WO132 many years ago! Still have my WO Patriot 66!
> Ross

Roland Christen

2 years into this hobby and only 4 real images to show for it.
And all 4 of them are super!
What are ya, some kinda perfectionist? Smile

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:16 AM, Roland Christen wrote:
And all 4 of them are super!
What are ya, some kinda perfectionist? Smile

Rolando
Hah!  Beat me to it...