Cold weather cables

Christopher M

Hello.
Anyone have any ideas for good quality cold weather Ethernet patch cables and USB 2 or 3 cables?  My Starlight EFS controller to HSM30 focuser motor uses an Ethernet patch cable, for example, and it wasn't terribly flexible when temperatures hit -12C/10F the last couple of nights.
I picked up some Lindy Cromo USB cables at someone's suggestion and they worked, but also get a bit stiff in the cold.
I hope to continue working deeper into the season if possible.
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks
Christopher

Dale Ghent

On Oct 9, 2021, at 20:25, Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:

Hello.
Anyone have any ideas for good quality cold weather Ethernet patch cables and USB 2 or 3 cables?  My Starlight EFS controller to HSM30 focuser motor uses an Ethernet patch cable, for example, and it wasn't terribly flexible when temperatures hit -12C/10F the last couple of nights.
I picked up some Lindy Cromo USB cables at someone's suggestion and they worked, but also get a bit stiff in the cold.
I hope to continue working deeper into the season if possible.
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks
Christopher

Christopher M

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 07:15 AM, Dale Ghent wrote:
L-COM has high-flex cable assemblies rated down to -40C. Their usb cables remained flexible after spending a month in my -19C freezer.
Thank you Dale.  I've placed and order for some USB and Ethernet patch cords to try.  These are the first that I've seen rated flexible to that cold level.  Yay!
Christopher

ROBERT WYNNE

I believe what you are searching for is a lower durometer USB cable sheath. I don't think there's much of a selection of cable sheaths when it comes to a USB cable. You could try building your own set of flexible cables by using low/lower durometer polyurethane shrink tubing if it's a must have. -Best, Robert