From: Alex <groups@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Oct 12, 2021 5:31 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] California Nebula in SHO

So this is my first time imaging my home state's namesake nebula.  I took a bit of RGB for the stars.  I'm testing out Russell Croman's new StarXTerminator plugin for PixInsight, and it does a much better job of removing stars than starnet.  It's considerably faster as well.

I was originally intending to orient this upright like a CA map, but I'm not a fan of images with this skinny aspect ratio in a portrait orientation and I didn't want to crop anything.  Now had I done a mosaic or sprung for the full frame QHY600 and had more to work with, I probably would have.

Alex

https://astrob.in/3dehns/0/

Stuart

Lovely shot Alex!!!

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 18:31, Alex <groups@...> wrote:
So this is my first time imaging my home state's namesake nebula.  I took a bit of RGB for the stars.  I'm testing out Russell Croman's new StarXTerminator plugin for PixInsight, and it does a much better job of removing stars than starnet.  It's considerably faster as well.

I was originally intending to orient this upright like a CA map, but I'm not a fan of images with this skinny aspect ratio in a portrait orientation and I didn't want to crop anything.  Now had I done a mosaic or sprung for the full frame QHY600 and had more to work with, I probably would have.

Alex

https://astrob.in/3dehns/0/

Eric Weiner

Really nice Alex. Great shot.

Chris Cook

Really nice shot! Almost 3D looking.

So this is my first time imaging my home state's namesake nebula.  I took a bit of RGB for the stars.  I'm testing out Russell Croman's new StarXTerminator plugin for PixInsight, and it does a much better job of removing stars than starnet.  It's considerably faster as well.

I was originally intending to orient this upright like a CA map, but I'm not a fan of images with this skinny aspect ratio in a portrait orientation and I didn't want to crop anything.  Now had I done a mosaic or sprung for the full frame QHY600 and had more to work with, I probably would have.

Alex

https://astrob.in/3dehns/0/

Pete Lardizabal

Fabulous capture and rendering Alex!

On Oct 12, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Alex <groups@...> wrote:

So this is my first time imaging my home state's namesake nebula.  I took a bit of RGB for the stars.  I'm testing out Russell Croman's new StarXTerminator plugin for PixInsight, and it does a much better job of removing stars than starnet.  It's considerably faster as well.

I was originally intending to orient this upright like a CA map, but I'm not a fan of images with this skinny aspect ratio in a portrait orientation and I didn't want to crop anything.  Now had I done a mosaic or sprung for the full frame QHY600 and had more to work with, I probably would have.

Alex

https://astrob.in/3dehns/0/

Ross Elkins

Beautiful shot Alex, almost 4th dimensional!!!

Chris White

Very nice Alex!  So you removed NB stars and blended in RGB stars?  Very cool.