Battery

thefamily90 Phillips

Can anyone remember off the top of your head what battery the AP right angle scope for polar alignment uses?

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

Donald Gaines

Hi Jim,

Mine came with two GP A76 batteries. 

Regards,
Don

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:
Can anyone remember off the top of your head what battery the AP right angle scope for polar alignment uses?

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

George

Jim,

See page 6:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/rapas-instructions.pdf

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 10:19 AM
To: ap-ug@groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] Battery

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

Alan

The illuminator ships with two GPA76 button-style batteries pre-installed. These are 1.5 volt alkaline batteries that can be found under different manufacturer product numbers through cross reference charts.

On 5/25/2021 11:18 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Great! Thank you all!

Jim P

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Alan <adfrench@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 11:58:15 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Battery

The illuminator ships with two GPA76 button-style batteries pre-installed. These are 1.5 volt alkaline batteries that can be found under different manufacturer product numbers through cross reference charts.

On 5/25/2021 11:18 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

M Hambrick

What about the Energizer #357 / 303 batteries ? They are 1.55 V silver oxide, but I believe that they are physically the same size.

Mike

Alan

Jim's question inspired me to check the batteries in ours, and they were dead. (I apparently left it on.) I had a pair of working LR44s.

Cross reference....
http://24hourbatteries.com/gpa76-battery/

Just added some spares to my shopping list. Keep lots of CR2032s on hand, but not many of the less needed button battery varieties.

On 5/25/2021 1:43 PM, M Hambrick wrote:
What about the Energizer #357 / 303 batteries ? They are 1.55 V silver oxide, but I believe that they are physically the same size.

Mike

thefamily90 Phillips

You know, somebody could make a lot of money if they could just invent a red cross her finder scope that turns itself off when not in use like my Target rifle.

Jim

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Alan <adfrench@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:11:52 PM

Jim's question inspired me to check the batteries in ours, and they were dead. (I apparently left it on.) I had a pair of working LR44s.

Cross reference....

Just added some spares to my shopping list. Keep lots of CR2032s on hand, but not many of the less needed button battery varieties.

Mike

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Finder scope that turns itself off when not in use like the scope on my target rifle

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 3:02:17 PM

You know, somebody could make a lot of money if they could just invent a red cross her finder scope that turns itself off when not in use like my Target rifle.

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:11:52 PM

Cross reference....

Mike

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

M Hambrick

That would be cool ! I have lost track of how many times have left my illuminated reticles turned on. That is one thing I really like about the RAPAS. Since it is using only Polaris as the alignment star, it is usually bright enough that I can see it when there is still a little daylight, and I do not need to turn on the reticle. There was an older version of the PASIL on my old 800 mount that used Polaris and Delta Ursa Minoris for alignment, but you had to wait until it was completely dark to see the Delta Ursa Minoris, and the reticle had to be turned on.

Mike

George

You have to plan ahead for illuminator usage…

If I go to a five night Star Party, I take five batteries.    It works out perfectly!    <G>

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 4:48 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io

That would be cool ! I have lost track of how many times have left my illuminated reticles turned on. That is one thing I really like about the RAPAS. Since it is using only Polaris as the alignment star, it is usually bright enough that I can see it when there is still a little daylight, and I do not need to turn on the reticle. There was an older version of the PASIL on my old 800 mount that used Polaris and Delta Ursa Minoris for alignment, but you had to wait until it was completely dark to see the Delta Ursa Minoris, and the reticle had to be turned on.

Mike

Barry Megdal

Not as good a solution as timed shutoff, but since Telrads are large I have drilled a hole in the side of the ones I have and put in a red LED  --  makes it harder to accidentally leave it on when you don’t want to.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Jack Stone

Has anyone experienced battery leakage damaging the contacts?

On May 26, 2021, at 08:35, Barry Megdal <bmegdal@...> wrote:

Not as good a solution as timed shutoff, but since Telrads are large I have drilled a hole in the side of the ones I have and put in a red LED  --  makes it harder to accidentally leave it on when you don’t want to.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech