From: Lee Dodge <ldodge12@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Nov 18, 2021 4:30 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Arp 273 - A Flower in the Cosmos

I had an opportunity to spend three nights around the last new moon to collect data for Arp 273, a small appearing object at a great distance.  I used my classic AP 155mm StarFire telescope on an AP 1100 mount with absolute encoders.  There are nice dark, unstable skies where my observatory is located.  Had to throw out lots of subs, but ended up with 11 hr. 56 min. of usable LRGB data, with results here:

https://www.astrobin.com/6smxq4/?_ga=2.236335362.2096358572.1637247823-1896479585.1636601507

Thanks for looking,
Lee

Eric Weiner

Nice one Lee.  That's a lot of data.  Interesting location.  I'm in Colorado as well.  Not very often I get south of Poncho Springs on 285.  Usually if I'm in that neck of the mountains I'm turning west on 50 towards Monarch ;-) We (CSASTRO.org) own a nice dark sky patch of ground at 37.8442460066006, -105.19507534744201.

Stuart

Beautifully done Lee!

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 at 17:30, Lee Dodge <ldodge12@...> wrote:
I had an opportunity to spend three nights around the last new moon to collect data for Arp 273, a small appearing object at a great distance.  I used my classic AP 155mm StarFire telescope on an AP 1100 mount with absolute encoders.  There are nice dark, unstable skies where my observatory is located.  Had to throw out lots of subs, but ended up with 11 hr. 56 min. of usable LRGB data, with results here:

https://www.astrobin.com/6smxq4/?_ga=2.236335362.2096358572.1637247823-1896479585.1636601507

Thanks for looking,
Lee

Karen Christen

What an interesting object, Lee!  Nicely done.

Karen

AP

I had an opportunity to spend three nights around the last new moon to collect data for Arp 273, a small appearing object at a great distance.  I used my classic AP 155mm StarFire telescope on an AP 1100 mount with absolute encoders.  There are nice dark, unstable skies where my observatory is located.  Had to throw out lots of subs, but ended up with 11 hr. 56 min. of usable LRGB data, with results here:

https://www.astrobin.com/6smxq4/?_ga=2.236335362.2096358572.1637247823-1896479585.1636601507

Thanks for looking,
Lee

Lee Dodge

Roland-

Thanks for the comments.  I have tried to set up CCD/Autopilot and TheSkyX to use @focus3 every 30 minutes or 1 degC temperature change, and at every filter change, but not sure that I have all that working very well.  The good news about my site is that it is very dark (SQM > 22); the bad news is that although it is at 8500 ft. there are 10,000 ft. mountains just to the west of the site, and the winds are typically from the west.  So I do not get very stable air, and the FWHM values are not so great.

Lee

Lee Dodge

Thanks, Stuart and Karen.

Lee

Pete Lardizabal

Wonderful image Lee!

It certainly is an interesting object along with an impressive amount of faint background galaxies. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Pete