APPM and Rotator

Claude Benoit

I'm thinking of adding a rotator to my kit. I use APPM to do an initial Plate Solve and Recal; after that I rely on the absolute encoders to take me where I need to go with a tiny plate solve in TheSkyX to land. If I rotate a bit to frame an object how would that impact my APPM Calibration and would TheSkyX still land on the next object I slewed to? I'm guessing I should do another APPM Plate Solve and Recal then everything should be fine; but just checking.

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.
Claude

Ray Gralak

Hi Claude,

Rotating the camera should have little or no effect if the rotater and camera assembly are very rigid.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-ug.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-ug.groups.io] On Behalf Of Claude Benoit via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2022 4:49 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] APPM and Rotator

I'm thinking of adding a rotator to my kit. I use APPM to do an initial Plate Solve and Recal; after that I rely on
the absolute encoders to take me where I need to go with a tiny plate solve in TheSkyX to land. If I rotate a bit
to frame an object how would that impact my APPM Calibration and would TheSkyX still land on the next
object I slewed to? I'm guessing I should do another APPM Plate Solve and Recal then everything should be
fine; but just checking.

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.
Claude

Claude Benoit

Thank you Ray.
Claude