Topics

AP Traveler continues to amaze

Kurt Johnston

A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.  Weather and other issues haven’t allowed me to do a proper test under starry skies. Last night was chilly, and very clear and steady, so I set the Traveler up and looked at some of my winter favorites, M42, M45, and the Moon.  Also, checked out Sirius and Betelgeuse.  Eyepieces consisted of ZAO series I and II, and Vixen HR’s. The views were fantastic and I could easily see 5 stars in the Trapezium.  With the Vixen HR 1.6mm, stars produced a nice airy disk with a faint 1st diffraction ring.  Knots of nebulosity were visible around the Trapezium at this mag (~390x).  The moon was crisp and contrasty, with no hint of color on the lunar limbs.  Fantastic optics, especially considering it is now 25 years old.  Tonight looks to be fantastic again, so plan on trying out imaging with the Traveler (I have the flattener).

Karen Christen

>>A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.

Kurt – this is just tremendous.  I hope you got a wonderful deal on it.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Enjoy!

Karen

AP

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Kurt Johnston via groups.io" <JohnstonKK@...>
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

[...]

Bill Long

Solid find. Lucky man!

[...]

Kent Kirkley

From Goodwill? You've got to be kidding?
Kent Kirkley

[...]

Ralph Gruen

ROBERT WYNNE

You never can tell what will turn up in a Silicon Valley thrift shop or an estate sale. Great find. -Best., Robert

On 03/20/2021 11:09 AM Kent Kirkley via groups.io <kgkirkley@...> wrote:

From Goodwill? You've got to be kidding?
Kent Kirkley