Topics

AP Traveler continues to amaze

Kurt Johnston

A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.  Weather and other issues haven’t allowed me to do a proper test under starry skies. Last night was chilly, and very clear and steady, so I set the Traveler up and looked at some of my winter favorites, M42, M45, and the Moon.  Also, checked out Sirius and Betelgeuse.  Eyepieces consisted of ZAO series I and II, and Vixen HR’s. The views were fantastic and I could easily see 5 stars in the Trapezium.  With the Vixen HR 1.6mm, stars produced a nice airy disk with a faint 1st diffraction ring.  Knots of nebulosity were visible around the Trapezium at this mag (~390x).  The moon was crisp and contrasty, with no hint of color on the lunar limbs.  Fantastic optics, especially considering it is now 25 years old.  Tonight looks to be fantastic again, so plan on trying out imaging with the Traveler (I have the flattener).  

Karen Christen

>>A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.

Kurt – this is just tremendous.  I hope you got a wonderful deal on it.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Enjoy!

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kurt Johnston via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 12:24 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] AP Traveler continues to amaze

A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.  Weather and other issues haven’t allowed me to do a proper test under starry skies. Last night was chilly, and very clear and steady, so I set the Traveler up and looked at some of my winter favorites, M42, M45, and the Moon.  Also, checked out Sirius and Betelgeuse.  Eyepieces consisted of ZAO series I and II, and Vixen HR’s. The views were fantastic and I could easily see 5 stars in the Trapezium.  With the Vixen HR 1.6mm, stars produced a nice airy disk with a faint 1st diffraction ring.  Knots of nebulosity were visible around the Trapezium at this mag (~390x).  The moon was crisp and contrasty, with no hint of color on the lunar limbs.  Fantastic optics, especially considering it is now 25 years old.  Tonight looks to be fantastic again, so plan on trying out imaging with the Traveler (I have the flattener).  

John Barnwell

Goodwill? Gotta love that! Congratulations, nice find.

On Mar 20, 2021, at 10:24 AM, Kurt Johnston via groups.io <JohnstonKK@...> wrote:

Magd Zalok

My wife swears by the Goodwill.  I guess I am believer now too! 😏  

Kurt, may we ask how much you paid for it so that we can eat our hearts out?

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Karen Christen <karen@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 10:42 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] AP Traveler continues to amaze

>>A little over a month ago I picked up a used 1996 Traveler (Smooth gloss black finish) from Goodwill.

Kurt – this is just tremendous.  I hope you got a wonderful deal on it.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Enjoy!

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kurt Johnston via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 12:24 PM

James Stone

Wow, what a find!

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Kurt Johnston via groups.io" <JohnstonKK@...>
Reply-To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Bill Long

Solid find. Lucky man!

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of James Stone <jrs7r@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 11:00 AM

Wow, what a find!

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Kurt Johnston via groups.io" <JohnstonKK@...>
Reply-To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Kent Kirkley

From Goodwill? You've got to be kidding?
Kent Kirkley

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Ralph Gruen

ROBERT WYNNE

You never can tell what will turn up in a Silicon Valley thrift shop or an estate sale. Great find. -Best., Robert

On 03/20/2021 11:09 AM Kent Kirkley via groups.io <kgkirkley@...> wrote:

From Goodwill? You've got to be kidding?
Kent Kirkley

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 12:24 pm

M Hambrick

Way to go Kurt !

Was Ralph's post from the Goodwill Web page for the same scope that you bought ? If so, they (Goodwill) at least had some idea of what the original scope cost. Whatever the case, it was a great find. I have checked out a few estate sales over the years looking for bargains like that, but I will have to add Goodwill to the list.

Mike

Kurt Johnston

Seriously, it was Goodwill.  It was not as fabulous of a deal as it at first sounds, a little under going rates.  $4200.  

Complete kit: case, rings with accessory bracket, AP 2x Barlow, AP 2” extension, Televue diagonal.  

Kurt Johnston

That’s the one. It turned out to be in much better condition than the photos showed. Minor dust and the whole,scope cleaned up nicely. 

fernandorivera3

Sky must have been incredibly steady to push 90mm of aperture to 390X magnification 😳

Fernando

Dan Berlin

But the Traveler is 4,1 inch 105 mm
Danne 

Skickat från min iPad

22 mars 2021 kl. 07:32 skrev fernandorivera3 via groups.io <fernandorivera3@...>:

Sky must have been incredibly steady to push 90mm of aperture to 390X magnification 😳

Fernando

clayton Lindsey

Kurt - Congrats on getting a solid scope from GW! 

I have had mixed luck with GW  and many of the lower priced items tend to exceed market prices found on dedicated Astro bidding sites in my opinion.  Regardless it's for charity so a little more isnt bad. 

However this pricing seems reasonable and its in good condition.

I followed the Traveler on GW but did not have the guts to bid.  I very happy that it worked out for you.

Now if I can just find a AP900 on GW :)

Kurt Johnston

I agree completely about buying on GW.  It can be a mixed bag as they really don’t photograph that well and sometimes the bids get way out of control, as does eBay’s.  Their packing is especially varied.  However, they actually did one of the best packing jobs I’ve seen and I’ve bought a lot from Astromart and Cloudy Nights.  Everything inside the case was individually bubble wrapped and the case had a minimum of 4” of bubble wrap around it.  It’s a good cause and I was willing to take a chance.  I already had a pebble coat finish era Traveler and the worse case scenario was I got some very expensive accessories I didn’t have.  The pebble coat Traveler now has a new home.  I prefer the look of the glossy finish. 

thefamily90 Phillips

Missed that. GW?

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Kurt Johnston via groups.io <JohnstonKK@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 12:34:06 PM

I agree completely about buying on GW.  It can be a mixed bag as they really don’t photograph that well and sometimes the bids get way out of control, as does eBay’s.  Their packing is especially varied.  However, they actually did one of the best packing jobs I’ve seen and I’ve bought a lot from Astromart and Cloudy Nights.  Everything inside the case was individually bubble wrapped and the case had a minimum of 4” of bubble wrap around it.  It’s a good cause and I was willing to take a chance.  I already had a pebble coat finish era Traveler and the worse case scenario was I got some very expensive accessories I didn’t have.  The pebble coat Traveler now has a new home.  I prefer the look of the glossy finish. 

--
Jim Phillips