Topics

AP Stowaway depth of field...

Pete Lardizabal

Happy Easter,

We have a beautiful spring day here in North Florida. Our Eastern Bluebird are working hard to feed the current brood of rapidly maturing nestlings bringing food every 5 to 10 minutes.

I setup the AP Stowaway very close to the nesting box and settled into stealth mode to try and catch some up close and personal pix. The attached slightly cropped image depicts “Dad”. The RAW file was gently tweaked using PS Express and iPhoto. No sharpening.

The detector to subject distance was very close to 15’ 4”. The AP Stowaway has a 612mm focal length with a 92mm objective (F6.65 optic). Working depth of field in the image empirically is about 1/2”. One day I’ll take the time to setup some objective measurements with the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway.

Take Care,

Pete

Alan

Pete,

Very nice! Our Bluebirds are still settling in and just starting their annual debate over housing choices with the Tree Swallows. I don't quite get it - they always seem to wind up in the same houses with the Bluebirds closest to my window.

Clear skies, Alan

On 4/4/2021 1:28 PM, Pete Lardizabal wrote:
Happy Easter,

We have a beautiful spring day here in North Florida. Our Eastern Bluebird are working hard to feed the current brood of rapidly maturing nestlings bringing food every 5 to 10 minutes.

I setup the AP Stowaway very close to the nesting box and settled into stealth mode to try and catch some up close and personal pix. The attached slightly cropped image depicts “Dad”. The RAW file was gently tweaked using PS Express and iPhoto. No sharpening.

The detector to subject distance was very close to 15’ 4”. The AP Stowaway has a 612mm focal length with a 92mm objective (F6.65 optic). Working depth of field in the image empirically is about 1/2”. One day I’ll take the time to setup some objective measurements with the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway.

Take Care,

Amazing shot Pete!!!

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 13:28, Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Happy Easter,

We have a beautiful spring day here in North Florida. Our Eastern Bluebird are working hard to feed the current brood of rapidly maturing nestlings bringing food every 5 to 10 minutes.

I setup the AP Stowaway very close to the nesting box and settled into stealth mode to try and catch some up close and personal pix. The attached slightly cropped image depicts “Dad”. The RAW file was gently tweaked using PS Express and iPhoto. No sharpening.

The detector to subject distance was very close to 15’ 4”. The AP Stowaway has a 612mm focal length with a 92mm objective (F6.65 optic). Working depth of field in the image empirically is about 1/2”. One day I’ll take the time to setup some objective measurements with the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway.

Take Care,

Thanks for the data point. The hummingbird must have been at a perfect angle to the scope to center into a 1/2"  depth of field. How does depth of field compute with DSO's and earth orbiting satellites? -Best, Robert

On 04/04/2021 10:28 AM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:

Happy Easter,

We have a beautiful spring day here in North Florida. Our Eastern Bluebird are working hard to feed the current brood of rapidly maturing nestlings bringing food every 5 to 10 minutes.

I setup the AP Stowaway very close to the nesting box and settled into stealth mode to try and catch some up close and personal pix. The attached slightly cropped image depicts “Dad”. The RAW file was gently tweaked using PS Express and iPhoto. No sharpening.

The detector to subject distance was very close to 15’ 4”. The AP Stowaway has a 612mm focal length with a 92mm objective (F6.65 optic). Working depth of field in the image empirically is about 1/2”. One day I’ll take the time to setup some objective measurements with the AP130EDFGT and the AP Stowaway.

Take Care,

Nice shot Pete. Soon, there will be plenty of Cicadas from "Brood X" for them to eat. Too many, in fact!

Ross