sticky AP Product Catalog Database

Karen Christen

Hello Astro-Nuts,

In recent weeks a few forum members have mentioned it would be nice to have a repository of old AP catalogs and offered to create a website database.  This is a project we’ve had on our radar but have not had time to dig into, so we appreciate this has been taken on by some of our Astro-Nuts. 

The website is here if you’d like to take a look:  AP Product Catalog Database   While you’re there, check out Tony Simon’s (aka Harley Davidson and Star Astronomer on YouTube) video of his catalog collection. 

If you have old catalogs and would like to add them, you can upload them to the Files section of the ap-ug group or the ap-gto group on Groups.io.  They will be added to the database from there.

I’ll pin this topic on the Groups Messages page so it’s easy to find.  Many thanks to Holger Merlitz for creating the website and volunteering to steer this project, and all of you who have submitted your catalogs to the database.

And a challenge:  Can anyone find a catalog with the Hampden Ct address?

Karen

AP

M Hambrick

FYI The file folder is titled Astro-Physics Brochures.

What city was the Hampden Ct address ? 

Mike

Karen Christen

Hampden Ct is in Rockford, IL.  It’s where I grew up and the birthplace of AP.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 2:18 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] AP Product Catalog Database

Mike

thefamily90 Phillips

Sending my catalogs to Tony tomorrow

JimP 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Karen Christen <karen@...>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 3:46:05 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Hampden Ct is in Rockford, IL.  It’s where I grew up and the birthplace of AP.

Karen

AP

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 2:18 PM

Mike

--
Jim Phillips

M Hambrick

Sounds like the Hampden Ct address was a garage operation.

Mike

M Hambrick

I just uploaded the November 1993 catalog to the Files Section in the folder Astro-Physics Brochures. Unfortunately I clicked Add before I checked the notify members box, so unless you go look for it you will not see it.

Starting sometime in 1992, Astro-Physics started sending out their brochures with a generic, undated cover letter. I have started using the effective date of the price list to time-stamp the files.

This catalog is possibly one of the largest catalogs that A-P offered with 49 pages covering expanded product line of 105. 130, 155 (EDT and EDF), 180, and 206 mm refractors as well as the 400, 600, 800, and 1200 mounts. A-P was starting to get a lot of press at this time, and the catalog included a copy of the review article in the September 1993 Astronomy Magazine. There are also several pages of testimonials.

Enjoy, Mike

Karen Christen

Basement, actually.  The garage was full of motorcycles.  Roland was a dirt bike racer for years.  😉

Karen

AP

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:42 PM

Mike

Pete Lardizabal

Karen,

Evident that Roland’s passion for high performance, fast, and agile equipment has not been limited to optics. 

😎

Pete

On Mar 30, 2021, at 10:33 AM, Karen Christen <karen@...> wrote:

Basement, actually.  The garage was full of motorcycles.  Roland was a dirt bike racer for years.  😉

Karen

AP

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:42 PM

Mike

Holger

Hello Mike,

the Nov. 1993 catalog is really a beast, lots of stuff to read through, and the scan is well done - thanks a lot!

Holger

thefamily90 Phillips

Just mailed my catalogs to Tony. Don’t know if any will be useful but I’ll let Tony decide. Nice picture of Marge with a traveler.

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Holger <merlitz@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:51:47 AM

Hello Mike,

the Nov. 1993 catalog is really a beast, lots of stuff to read through, and the scan is well done - thanks a lot!

Holger

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Marj

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:58:11 AM

Just mailed my catalogs to Tony. Don’t know if any will be useful but I’ll let Tony decide. Nice picture of Marge with a traveler.

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Holger <merlitz@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:51:47 AM

Hello Mike,

Holger

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

ROBERT WYNNE

Mike- Each time you post a catalogue could you include the link? I know it sounds repetitious but it gets lost in the long chain of posts. -Best, Robert

On 03/30/2021 6:17 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

I just uploaded the November 1993 catalog to the Files Section in the folder Astro-Physics Brochures. Unfortunately I clicked Add before I checked the notify members box, so unless you go look for it you will not see it.

Starting sometime in 1992, Astro-Physics started sending out their brochures with a generic, undated cover letter. I have started using the effective date of the price list to time-stamp the files.

This catalog is possibly one of the largest catalogs that A-P offered with 49 pages covering expanded product line of 105. 130, 155 (EDT and EDF), 180, and 206 mm refractors as well as the 400, 600, 800, and 1200 mounts. A-P was starting to get a lot of press at this time, and the catalog included a copy of the review article in the September 1993 Astronomy Magazine. There are also several pages of testimonials.

Enjoy, Mike

M Hambrick

Will do Robert

Normally I will try to upload the files so that a notification with a link is sent to the forum members, but I messed up this time. I've still got 4 or 5 more catalogs to scan.

Mike

ROBERT WYNNE

As far as I'm concerned you are doing a great service to the A-P community. Thanks for the good work. -Best, Robert

On 03/30/2021 12:01 PM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Will do Robert

Normally I will try to upload the files so that a notification with a link is sent to the forum members, but I messed up this time. I've still got 4 or 5 more catalogs to scan.

Mike

Len Fulham

Karen,

The Hampden Court address is just almost readable through the sticker with the 'new' BraeBurn Lane address on the first page of the 1984-85 Catalogue. Is fairly legible when I hold the paper in front of a bright light!

Are there any other occurrences??

Cheers,
Len.

marco mucci

Wonderful Karen! Thank you so much!!!!
--
MARCO MUCCI
ITALY
AP 130EDF STARFIRE

Karen Christen

That would have been the very last one with the old address, Len.  We moved in the summer of ’84 to the Brae Burn Ln address.  So only earlier catalogs would have Hampden Ct.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Len Fulham
Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2021 5:12 AM

Karen,

The Hampden Court address is just almost readable through the sticker with the 'new' BraeBurn Lane address on the first page of the 1984-85 Catalogue. Is fairly legible when I hold the paper in front of a bright light!

Are there any other occurrences??

Cheers,
Len.