[ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

Roland Christen

Attaching the 175 refractor with dovetail is doing it the hard way. Unless you're a wrestler. I first attach the dovetail and rings to the mount and open the rings. Then I simply lift the tube into the rings, close them and voila! the deed is done.

From: Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Oct 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

I have two more videos.

TeleGizmos T3R6 All Weather Cover with an Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF Refractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW37FjtnOew

Attaching A Large Refractor Telescope (by yourself) to an Equatorial mount Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2GNNHdErA

tony

dvjbaja

The telegizmos cover is inside out is it not? Silver on the outside to reflect sunlight.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Attaching the 175 refractor with dovetail is doing it the hard way. Unless you're a wrestler. I first attach the dovetail and rings to the mount and open the rings. Then I simply lift the tube into the rings, close them and voila! the deed is done.

TeleGizmos T3R6 All Weather Cover with an Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF Refractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW37FjtnOew

Attaching A Large Refractor Telescope (by yourself) to an Equatorial mount Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2GNNHdErA

tony

Astro-Physics

thefamily90 Phillips

No, silver is on the inside. I have been using Telegizmos 365 tarps for many years. Tony has it correct.

JimP

--
Jim Phillips

dvjbaja

Answering my own question.  According to the mfg. the canvas is supposed to be on the outside, silver liner on the inside.  go figure.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:40 AM John Gleason <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:
The telegizmos cover is inside out is it not? Silver on the outside to reflect sunlight.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Attaching the 175 refractor with dovetail is doing it the hard way. Unless you're a wrestler. I first attach the dovetail and rings to the mount and open the rings. Then I simply lift the tube into the rings, close them and voila! the deed is done.

TeleGizmos T3R6 All Weather Cover with an Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF Refractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW37FjtnOew

Attaching A Large Refractor Telescope (by yourself) to an Equatorial mount Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2GNNHdErA

tony

Astro-Physics

Christopher M

True, but I have found in transporting to the field and back that it is more compact to leave the rings attached to the OTA like Tony has.  One can transport them separately, but then the rings on the saddle plate take up more of my limited space.  Then again I'm only wrestling a smaller 130 and not one of the bigger OTAs.

On a similar but different note, is it better to mount the saddle plate to the saddle with the saddle lock knobs UP?  Or does it not matter?  I assumed having the lock knobs on the top side would be better, at least when mounting and unmounting the saddle plate.  And then I do a meridian flip somewhere along the night and it doesn't seem to matter.

Christopher

weems@...

In my case, I still have the original rings that came with my scope, which you didn’t make with hinges back then. But I also have a 55lb scope on the other side of the tandem bar, so it’s risky to unload the refractor in the upright position. I swing the mount over so the C14 can rest face down on a utility cart, take off the counterweight, and then release the refractor's dovetail while holding the handle on the top of the rings.

Chip

ROBERT WYNNE

Could you provide some photos of the load/unload procedure? I just received my new mount for a 155 and have my doubts as to the best way to hoist this beast into the mount. I'm thinking a crane at this point. -Best, Robert

On 10/11/2021 9:25 PM weems@... wrote:

In my case, I still have the original rings that came with my scope, which you didn’t make with hinges back then. But I also have a 55lb scope on the other side of the tandem bar, so it’s risky to unload the refractor in the upright position. I swing the mount over so the C14 can rest face down on a utility cart, take off the counterweight, and then release the refractor's dovetail while holding the handle on the top of the rings.

Chip

Ross Elkins

Rolando, Exactly!

Silver is inside!

Harley Davidson

Roland and all

For me this is how I've always done it. The handle makes it very easy as it is at the balance point to lift. Having to lift the scope with no "handle" isn't something I want to try. The weight of the scope isn't that much for me.

tony

On 10/11/2021 11:21 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:
Attaching the 175 refractor with dovetail is doing it the hard way. Unless you're a wrestler. I first attach the dovetail and rings to the mount and open the rings. Then I simply lift the tube into the rings, close them and voila! the deed is done.

TeleGizmos T3R6 All Weather Cover with an Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF Refractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW37FjtnOew

Attaching A Large Refractor Telescope (by yourself) to an Equatorial mount Astro Physics 175 f/8 EDF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2GNNHdErA

tony

fernandorivera3

Anyone here who is 100% sure that this technique is completely safe & not a risky maneuver at all, please feel free to demonstrate but with a C14, PlaneWave 14 or even better, a Meade 16 SCT 🤔

Fernando

Harley Davidson

Fernando

My video is with a 175 refractor, not what you mention below. Various scopes may require other techniques. Also, what one person can accomplish another may not be able to. Just showing my way. I have absolutely no problem with the way I do it. We are talking about perhaps 50 lbs. That's not much weight, at least for me. I do consider myself to be in good shape though. I have a treadmill in my living room which I use twice a day and stay very active.

You will see that I have a handle at the center of balance. I can easily pick up the scope with my left hand and use my right hand on the base of the dovetail. Lifting it up and placing it in the saddle as I describe. The handle gives me a secure grasp of the scope. Depending where I place my mount on my property I may have to carry the 175 several hundred feet to get it to the mount from inside my house. No issues. A simple lift onto the mount is nothing after that.

No way would I try to mount the scope with rings opened and laying the scope in them. But that's me. Not everyone would agree.

BTW, send me that brand new PlaneWave 14 and I will demonstrate. One caveat, you won't be getting it back :)   {I wouldn't own a C14 or a Meade 16}

tony

On 10/12/2021 11:02 PM, fernandorivera3 via groups.io wrote:
Anyone here who is 100% sure that this technique is completely safe & not a risky maneuver at all, please feel free to demonstrate but with a C14, PlaneWave 14 or even better, a Meade 16 SCT 🤔

Fernando

thefamily90 Phillips

Everyone who has been using telescopes for very long (50+ years for me) has his or her own way of doing things that work. Tony was just showing us his technique for his AP 175. He was not advocating it for anyone else.
You might be horrified to see me (with  help) mounting a big scope with the counterweights held up by a step ladder. Holding the counterweights up while removing the scope is important because once the scope is removed, the counterweights will swing down potentially crashing into me! I don’t suggest anyone use this technique but, I have used it successfully for decades, without incident.

JimP

[...]

Holding the weights up with a step ladder sounds like the mount is in park 1 or park 4 [perhaps even park 5] when the scope is removed??

Fernando

Harley Davidson

JimP and all

Yes, I have evolved the way I set up my 175 over time to set it up quicker without issues. In this video from 2016 I used this technique  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=276  (should open at correct location in video). It was in park 5 position. Worked great BUT had the weights out off the side and needed to use the chains as seen in the video. I used to use a light stand as seen at this point in the 2016 video  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=226  which is much like what Jim does.

But then I tried what I now do in park 2 position. Either way I have to lift the scope. BUT, no chains needed and the CW's are down. No weight off to one side of the mount for me anymore and less equipment needed to setup.

thanks  tony

On 10/13/2021 6:49 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
[...]

I like the stainless steel chain technique! Nice!!

Jim

[...]

M Hambrick

For whatever it's worth I have been using Roland's method for setting my 180 EDT into the open rings, but I have found that the felt lining in the rings does not hold up very well when I install then remove the scope from the rings every time I get it out.

What I have observed is that the felt (or adhesive) is shrinking, and as it does so it pulls the felt away from the ring and stretches it out (see photo). I think that this is happening because the felt is getting exposed to moisture and dew when I am taking everything down at the end of the observing session. Once the felt it gets wet it shrinks.

At some point in the near future I am going to have to replace the felt strips in these rings which are barely 2 years old. I believe that leaving the scope attached to the rings would minimize or eliminate this shrinkage.

Mike,

I keep the rings for my little AP130EDFGT on my alt/az mount and have replaced the felt three times over the past 10+ years. I can remove the scope from the case and secure it into the open rings and be imagining Eagles in under 2 minutes.

I simply view the felt wear as a maintenance matter not unlike changing the oil in my car.

On Oct 14, 2021, at 9:57 AM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

For whatever it's worth I have been using Roland's method for setting my 180 EDT into the open rings, but I have found that the felt lining in the rings does not hold up very well when I install then remove the scope from the rings every time I get it out.

What I have observed is that the felt (or adhesive) is shrinking, and as it does so it pulls the felt away from the ring and stretches it out (see photo). I think that this is happening because the felt is getting exposed to moisture and dew when I am taking everything down at the end of the observing session. Once the felt it gets wet it shrinks.

At some point in the near future I am going to have to replace the felt strips in these rings which are barely 2 years old. I believe that leaving the scope attached to the rings would minimize or eliminate this shrinkage.

I agree Pete

It has definitely been easier and quicker for me to place the 180 into the open rings which are already attached to the dovetail / saddle plate on the mount, but I use Tony's method for my Stowaway which I leave attached to the rings and dovetail plate. It is light enough that there is no problem lifting it into place in the saddle plate.

I do the same with my little AP Stowaway Mike!

😆

Pete

On Oct 14, 2021, at 10:41 AM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

I agree Pete

It has definitely been easier and quicker for me to place the 180 into the open rings which are already attached to the dovetail / saddle plate on the mount, but I use Tony's method for my Stowaway which I leave attached to the rings and dovetail plate. It is light enough that there is no problem lifting it into place in the saddle plate.

Mike

Richard Hennig

For AP Stowaway, I pick up the tripod, mount (RST-135), AP scope with rings and guider and carry the whole thing outside. 1 minute and I am ready for polar alignment and imaging on short notice.

For the 130 and 155 scopes, I either place it in the rings or put it on with the dovetail bar into the saddle. I have done both and find no dramatic difference. With either technique, I have the counterweights on the mount pointing down and the rings or dovetail saddle horizontal. I like having a handle on the scope, so it is great to see that AP is selling these.

I am not sure what I would do for a 175mm or 180mm scope, though. Well, maybe some day there will be an opportunity to figure that out :)

Clear skies,
Richard