A Steamy and Moody Ghost of Cassiopeia- HaLRGB (Tak Epsilon e160ed and Mach 2 Mount)

Chris White

This was a fun an extremely challenging project.  First of all, Gamma Cas is a BEAST of a star.  Dealing with the light scatter and halo effect took some finesse.  Additionally, I really wanted to take a different approach to this image than most I have seen.  There is so much dust in this region as well as a very diffuse hydrogen alpha signal across the entire field around the main nebula itself.

Another major challenge that I ran into, is that this is also a very dense star field.  As soon as you put any stretch on the stars, the subtle dusty structures are lost.

I took some artistic liberties here to achieve my goal.  I pushed the dust really hard to bring it out.  I also tamped the stars way down by only stretching them the tiniest bit.  Then I blended some HA into the red channel to really saturate the nebula and to bring out the diffuse ha signal.  The more I worked on this image the less I liked the final result.  It was really a tough balance to create an image that achieved all of my goals while at the same time retaining a somewhat natural look to it.  I generally try to go a little more natural, but with this target the moment I started pushing the dust I found I needed to push the saturation to avoid ending up with a washed out image.

So I went for art here instead.  The result is what I call steamy and moody.  I had fun with this, and I hope you enjoy it.

C&C welcome.

PS-  There are some wonderful little structures in this area, and most are not captured at all.  There are some nice little glob-like streaks coming in on the left side of the frame.  Also some nice structure above and to the left of Gamma Cas.  With such a huge FOV, it's fun to just scroll around at full zoom to discover the little gems.

Captured unguided with Mach2 Mount.

Low resolution below, but I definitely recommend looking at the high res version at Astrobin:  https://www.astrobin.com/f0afi3/

Karen Christen

I think that looks quite nice, Chris!  Well done!

Karen

AP

[...]

Bill Long

Nicely done!

[...]

Stuart

Super interesting result and I really appreciate how you described your thinking process Chris. I shot it with similar scale (FSQ / U16M) and all I got was the main nebula and a TON of stars that overwhelmed the field.

On Wed, 28 Sept 2022 at 09:30, Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
[...]

Ross Elkins

Chris,

In the full version, the ghost seems to be saying something of cosmic importance!

Ross

Alex

Nice result Chris.  Gamma Cas really makes things difficult.  I recently tried this target, and I was getting really bad star burst streaks using my OIII filter that I couldn't find a good way to tame. The Ha and SII were fine, so I'm not sure what's going on with my OIII.  It's an Astrodon 3nm, so I was hoping to avoid artifacts like this.  Good thing most targets don't have such a bright star in the field.

Alex

Chris White

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 11:22 AM, Karen Christen wrote:

I think that looks quite nice, Chris!  Well done!

Karen

AP

Thank you Karen!

Chris White

Thanks Bill!

Chris White

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 05:38 PM, Stuart wrote:
Super interesting result and I really appreciate how you described your thinking process Chris. I shot it with similar scale (FSQ / U16M) and all I got was the main nebula and a TON of stars that overwhelmed the field.

Thank you Stuart.  I quickly realized that I would need to stray off the beaten path with my normal processing.  The starfield here is extremely dense and even when just a little bigger they completely change everything.  The dust and colors fade out and get lost.  To be honest, it was much more challenging than I originally thought it would be.  I hated the first half dozen versions where I tempered my processing, and finally just through caution to the wind and pushed the data hard.  The taste is not for everyone I am sure, but nice to get out of the comfort zone.

Chris White

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 08:44 PM, Alex wrote:
Nice result Chris.  Gamma Cas really makes things difficult.  I recently tried this target, and I was getting really bad star burst streaks using my OIII filter that I couldn't find a good way to tame. The Ha and SII were fine, so I'm not sure what's going on with my OIII.  It's an Astrodon 3nm, so I was hoping to avoid artifacts like this.  Good thing most targets don't have such a bright star in the field
Ooof..  Yeah that is a big scatter!  I had some haloing with O3 when I imaged it, as well as green ironically.  Blue and Lum were OK.  I was using Astrodon 5nm.   I didnt get a flare like yours though.  I wonder if flipping the filter would help.

I'm going to do my best to AVOID stars like this on my next target.  I'm going for something bright and easy... lol.

Chris White

Curious what you think of this:  https://astrob.in/f0afi3/C/

I gave the stars a little more "punch."

Roland Christen