A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

I uploaded a second image taken at my Hawaii observatory. While cruising around the southern skies with my 175 refractor, visually, I was struck by the brightness and beauty of this famous object. Now I know that this has been imaged with much more high resolution cameras and scopes, in narrowband and RGB etc, and this image is nowhere near what can be done with even rudimentary equipment. It's just a quick snapshot of a small number of 30 second exposures with my Sony DSLR replacing my 2" eyepiece in the diagonal. No guiding, no processing, just a fun image. It actually looked similar visually in my 2" eyepiece, but without the bright colors that the camera recorded.

I would have been over the Moon if I could have done something like this back 30 years ago with color slide film. Would have taken over an hour, with me glued to a guiding reticle eyepiece, pushing buttons to and fro to keep the guide star on the crosshairs. And then have the film destroyed at the local photo developer (don't laugh, it happened to me a few times).

https://www.astrobin.com/wn85k8/

Great stuff Roland! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I always marvel at the incredible works posted by this group but it is so fun to see the results of impromptu pix. That’s some kinda nice “telephoto” lens you used.

😂😂😂

Pete

On Apr 29, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

That's one heck of a snapshot Rolando!

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 19:16, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Beautiful image. Though you didn't, many times I have had to put the camera down to just enjoy the sky or another subject. -Best, Robert

On 04/29/2021 4:16 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Rolando

Shailesh Trivedi

Roland,

I did not know you can see the Carina from Hawaii, learned something new today. Awesome.

Shailesh

Roland Christen

I think if you are on the southern tip of the island, at 19 degrees latitude, Carina will be high enough that you can put the Golden gate bridge under it. I'm located at 20 deg lat.

I did not know you can see the Carina from Hawaii, learned something new today. Awesome.

Shailesh

Steve Armen

Lovely result. Must have been striking through the eyepiece, even without the color.