Summer Skies gifted with Solar Prominence

Jeff Ball Gmail

Hello APUG,

Our family vacationed in Surfside Beach, SC this past week. I had envisioned a video production celebrating the “Summer Sky”. I planned on capturing the beauty of the sky with clouds, stars, Milky Way, Sun, and Moon. I brought my Astro-Physics Stowaway and Daystar Quark Chromosphere Eyepiece along for hydrogen alpha views and images of the Sun. Boy was I in for a treat. I viewed/imaged the Sun every morning and was taken aback with the views on August 3. The prominence was fantastic and lingered well into the next day. Below are the images and links to the video production. I will soon have a video reviewing and discussing viewing/imaging with the Daystar Quark Chromosphere eyepiece. So far, it has been a blast since I picked it up in December. Clear skies and thanks for stopping by.

Link to blog with images and video

Astrobin

Sincerely,
Jeff Ball

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Very nice Jeff.  Did you use some sort of barlow?  Or, is that the native FL of the Stowaway?

Thanks

Jeff Ball Gmail

Thank you Emilio!  The Daystar Quark has a 4x Barlow built in.

--
Sincerely,
Jeff Ball

Chris Cook

Nicely done Jeff!
You sold me on the Quark.  I need one of those.

[...]

Thanks Chris. I am really enjoying it. Just need to retire and leave everything setup daily.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:12 AM Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:
[...]

Pete Lardizabal

Wonderful works Jeff!

On Aug 5, 2022, at 11:13 PM, Jeff Ball Gmail <jeffballphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Pete. I hope all
Is well. CS!

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
[...]

Christopher Robinson

I really enjoy your films and images, Jeff. I've been intrigued by the Daystar Quark and I'm looking forward to your review. Your images are most impressive.

-Chris

Alan Friedman

Very nice results… must have been great to enjoy this prominence from a good location. I was watching this fabulous eruption from the various Ha worldwide fields and was thrilled to get a morning cloud break allowing me see it with my own eyes.

Clear skies!
Alan

On Aug 5, 2022, at 11:12 PM, Jeff Ball Gmail <jeffballphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Chris. I always regretted selling my Coronado solar max/TV 85 combination years ago. I am no expert on solar viewing/imaging, but I am enjoying this combination. The eyepiece views are fantastic. I do yearn for a full disk view, however.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 1:15 PM Christopher Robinson <info4cbr+astro@...> wrote:
I really enjoy your films and images, Jeff. I've been intrigued by the Daystar Quark and I'm looking forward to your review. Your images are most impressive.

-Chris

--
Sincerely,
Jeff Ball

Jeff Ball Gmail

Thank you Alan. It was a wonderful eyepiece view. I am on the lower part of the solar learning curve. Your work has been inspiring for years. Hoping to develop my animating skills for prominences like this. Glad you had a chance to view the prominence. Clear skies and take care.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 1:32 PM Alan Friedman <alan@...> wrote:
[...]

Aha,

I am with Chris.  I am getting one!  I can't image at night due to the storms, but during the early to mid moring, that is avaible to me even during the summer.

DFisch

Jeff, what a great blend of photographing natures power. What time lapse interval do you use as a standard across your production? Tom Fischer

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:12 Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:
[...]

TJF MOBILE

Jeff Ball Gmail

Thank you so much Tom.  Most of the daytime intervals are 5 seconds.  I was using 10, but I switched to 5 seconds to give more frames and a smoother look.  I was manually adjusting exposure via ISO and exposure time.  I did not use my Timelapse+ intervalometer, as it can be time consuming on setup.  I process with LRTimelapse and it works with LightRoom to minimize the flicker.  One timelapse captured jpg by mistake and has some flicker to it.  Hope that helps.  Best wishes and clear skies.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM DFisch <manusfisch@...> wrote:

[...]

Stuart

Jeff, what an extraordinary video - loved it!!!

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 23:13, Jeff Ball Gmail <jeffballphoto@...> wrote:
[...]

ROBERT WYNNE

Kudos on the photo. -Best, Robert

On 08/05/2022 8:12 PM Jeff Ball Gmail <jeffballphoto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much Stuart. Hope all is well.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 10:01 AM Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:
[...]

Well done in more ways than one. -Best, Robert

On 08/06/2022 8:12 AM Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much Robert.