Greasing/maintaining mounts

Hy Murveit

I bought a used AP-1100/CP3 in December and have been happily using it with my 10" GSO RC (and with INDI/KStars!).

I was wondering, is there any recommended maintenance for the mount, e.g. should I be greasing it from time to time? 

I think the RA axis is a little looser than DEC, is there an adjustment screw for the backlash there?

Thanks,
Hy

Roland Christen

All our mounts have spring loaded worms which means they are 100% in mesh at all times. If you are pushing on the end of the counterweight shaft and can feel some springiness on the end of the shaft, all that means is you are using the huge leverage of the cwt shaft to push the worm teeth apart against the spring action. As soon as you let go, the worm teeth will settle back into full mesh. The amount of leverage is about 10:1 at the end of the cwt shaft. This means a 1 lb force from your hand exerts 10lb of force trying to push the worm teeth apart.

The amount that the worm teeth can be pushed apart is limited by the backstop, so even if you apply 100lb force on the shaft, the worm teeth can only be pushed back by a few thousandth of an inch, which is the point where the pivot mechanism hits the backstop. You can decrease the backstop distance a bit, but I would not recommend it. Too little clearance can cause the teeth to bottom out at some point (a high point) on the gearwheel and cause excessive wear.

You want to be sure that you are differentiating what you call looseness with the actual spring loading feel at the end of the cwt shaft. true looseness or also known as backlash would allow you to move the counterweight shaft back and forth with just the application of a feather. Take your finger and thumb and place it on the shaft and apply the tiniest amount of pressure. If you can feel looseness or backlash, then that is an indication of something else. However, backlash in RA has zero effect on tracking or guiding, since it only comes into play when the axis is reversed, and that never happens during tracking and guiding. So, again I would leave it alone and don't try to re-adjust anything without specific guidance from one of our techs here at AP. A slightly loose axis will track perfectly, a slightly tight one will not.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Greasing/maintaining mounts

I bought a used AP-1100/CP3 in December and have been happily using it with my 10" GSO RC (and with INDI/KStars!).

I was wondering, is there any recommended maintenance for the mount, e.g. should I be greasing it from time to time? 

I think the RA axis is a little looser than DEC, is there an adjustment screw for the backlash there?

Thanks,
Hy

midmoastro

I might also add these wise words, also found in the manual.

"Using the entire worm wheel ensures even wear and extended life. Under normal use the mount moves back and forth using only one half of the worm wheel...the other half is not used.

Here’s what to do: Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using

the other half of the worm wheel.

Note that it will be necessary to have the Keypad set to AutoConnect=NO (if initializing with the Keypad) or to set the AP V2 driver / APCC (if initializing from the computer) to Unpark from Park 4. Once this operation is done remember to reset to Unpark from Last Parked.

Do it twice a year...that should be enough."

Luca Marinelli

Does the procedure to use the other half of the worm wheel requires creating a fresh PEC curve?

Luca

Roland Christen

PEC curve (or periodic error) is not a function of the worm wheel. So no matter where you are on the worm wheel, the periodic error is the same. It is the worm gear (the driving gear), not the worm wheel (the driven gear) that produces the period error.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 4:23 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Greasing/maintaining mounts

Does the procedure to use the other half of the worm wheel requires creating a fresh PEC curve?

Luca

Luca Marinelli

Thank you, Roland!

Luca

Thank you for reading the manual!  😊

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com
Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/astrophysicscorp 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of midmoastro
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2022 2:38 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io

I might also add these wise words, also found in the manual.

"Using the entire worm wheel ensures even wear and extended life. Under normal use the mount moves back and forth using only one half of the worm wheel...the other half is not used.

Here’s what to do: Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using

the other half of the worm wheel.

Note that it will be necessary to have the Keypad set to AutoConnect=NO (if initializing with the Keypad) or to set the AP V2 driver / APCC (if initializing from the computer) to Unpark from Park 4. Once this operation is done remember to reset to Unpark from Last Parked.

Do it twice a year...that should be enough."

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 03:38 PM, midmoastro wrote:
Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using
I had this on my list to do and I suppose it is about time.  If you have encoders, do you then, after doing this do a plate solve and sync, then reconfigure the home position?  

Linwood

Chris Cook

Scott Hammonds has a great video on YouTube about regreasing A-P mounts.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 6/23/2022 6:48:53 PM

Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using
I had this on my list to do and I suppose it is about time.  If you have encoders, do you then, after doing this do a plate solve and sync, then reconfigure the home position?  

Linwood

midmoastro

I would check the manual for your specific mount. The first one I provided was from the 1100gto manual.
This below is from the Mach2 manual but not sure which mount you have

Using the entire worm wheel ensures even wear and extended life. Under normal use the mount moves back and forth using only one half of the worm wheel...the other half is not used. Here’s what to do: Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and you’re done. Do it twice a year...that should be enough.

Hy Murveit

Chris,

I took it from reading between the lines in Roland's earlier post that re-greasing wasn't a thing. Was I misreading that?

Hy

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022, 4:19 PM Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

Chris

Linwood

ROBERT WYNNE

Funny the topic of lubricating gears goes all the way back to the development of pendulum clockworks. In the beginning the master clock makers knew how to match differing woods that contained natural oils and were self lubricating. This could not have been possible until after voyages to the new world - Africa and South America in particular - produced lubricious woods compatible with hard dry woods available to the new world clock makers. Metal clocks had been around since even the Egyptians and Greeks. But the pendulum clock demanded a higher level of lubricity on the pendulum mechanism even though a simpler device. -Best, Robert

On 06/23/2022 6:35 PM Hy Murveit <murveit@...> wrote:

Chris,

I took it from reading between the lines in Roland's earlier post that re-greasing wasn't a thing. Was I misreading that?

Hy

Chris

Reply-To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Linwood

Chris Cook

Yes, that's the video.

Chris

Sent: 6/23/2022 9:35:28 PM

Chris,

Hy

Chris

Linwood

M Hambrick

Hi Marj

Keep publishing and printing your wonderful manuals. I like that they are in a printer-friendly format so that when I print them out, they are formatted correctly.

The problem with many of the on-line user guides is that although they can be printed, the formatting is terrible. The margins are too small or even non-existent, and you will often see a table or illustration on one page, and the notes and comments that go with it are on the next page. I will cite the PEM-Pro user guide as one such example.

E-books and manuals have their place, but nothing can replace a good old-fashioned printed copy. 

Mike