From: Hy Murveit <murveit@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Greasing/maintaining mounts

I bought a used AP-1100/CP3 in December and have been happily using it with my 10" GSO RC (and with INDI/KStars!).

I was wondering, is there any recommended maintenance for the mount, e.g. should I be greasing it from time to time?

I think the RA axis is a little looser than DEC, is there an adjustment screw for the backlash there?

Thanks,
Hy

midmoastro

I might also add these wise words, also found in the manual.

"Using the entire worm wheel ensures even wear and extended life. Under normal use the mount moves back and forth using only one half of the worm wheel...the other half is not used.

Here’s what to do: Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using

the other half of the worm wheel.

Note that it will be necessary to have the Keypad set to AutoConnect=NO (if initializing with the Keypad) or to set the AP V2 driver / APCC (if initializing from the computer) to Unpark from Park 4. Once this operation is done remember to reset to Unpark from Last Parked.

Do it twice a year...that should be enough."

Luca Marinelli

Does the procedure to use the other half of the worm wheel requires creating a fresh PEC curve?

Luca

Roland Christen

PEC curve (or periodic error) is not a function of the worm wheel. So no matter where you are on the worm wheel, the periodic error is the same. It is the worm gear (the driving gear), not the worm wheel (the driven gear) that produces the period error.

Does the procedure to use the other half of the worm wheel requires creating a fresh PEC curve?

Luca

Luca Marinelli

Thank you, Roland!

Luca

Thank you for reading the manual!  😊

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 03:38 PM, midmoastro wrote:
Send the mount to Park 1, unlock the clutches and push the mount to Park 4. Lock the clutches and then power cycle the mount (power off and then on). Tell the mount to resume from Park 4. The mount will then be using
I had this on my list to do and I suppose it is about time.  If you have encoders, do you then, after doing this do a plate solve and sync, then reconfigure the home position?

Linwood

Chris Cook

Scott Hammonds has a great video on YouTube about regreasing A-P mounts.