Two Solstice Transits

Alan Friedman

Hi all,

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,
Alan

Dean Jacobsen

Great shots Alan!  I really like the one with the active sun.
--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

Roland Christen

WoW! That's quite a difference.
That little scope really brings home the bacon (or chicken if you're not into pork :))

On Jun 22, 2022, at 6:57 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

WoW! That's quite a difference.
That little scope really brings home the bacon (or chicken if you're not into pork :))

It really does. Never ceases to amaze me. I was lucky to get this one from a friend and not have to give up a spare rib.

My old circa 2001 Coronado 90 Ha filter is still hanging in there. They are a happy pair. I hug them both regularly.

;^)

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,
Alan

Chris White

Wow!  Really amazing Alan!  Spectacular details on the disk and the ISS.  Soooo... coool.

How do you attach the coronado filter?  Do you have a picture of your setup?  I dabbled with solar with a lunt50 years ago, but the image circle was pretty small and the focal length was pretty short.  I've thought about doing it with my stowaway .  Thanks in advance!

Karen Christen

That’s just gorgeous, Alan.  Beautiful result.

Karen

AP

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,

Alan

Alan Friedman
AvertedImagination.com

midmoastro

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 05:47 PM, Alan Friedman wrote:
https://avertedimagination.com/img_pages/a_tale_of_two_transits.html
Wow, fantastic work, Alan.
Todd

Pete Lardizabal

Simply a image magnificent Alan!

🌞

Pete

On Jun 22, 2022, at 6:47 PM, Alan Friedman <alan@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,
Alan

Pete Lardizabal

Simply a magnificent image…

image

Pete

On Jun 22, 2022, at 7:32 PM, Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:

[...]

thefamily90 Phillips

I could not get the second image to open but I am out in the boondoggles.
Your images, and in particular your solar images are breathtaking. Everything is perfect but not in a mechanical way, more of an artistic palate. Thanks for letting us see this! Yahoo!!

JimP

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 05:47 PM, Alan Friedman wrote:
https://avertedimagination.com/img_pages/a_tale_of_two_transits.html
Wow, fantastic work, Alan.
Todd

--
Jim Phillips

ROBERT WYNNE

These are beautiful. The first without having benefit of viewing the second could be a Rene Lalique pattern. The second with the ISS is a stunning capture. My hat's off to you, kudos. -Best, robert

On 06/22/2022 3:47 PM Alan Friedman <alan@...> wrote:

[...]

Stuart

Alan, as they say in TV land "Mind blown!" WOW! So impressive!

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 18:47, Alan Friedman <alan@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,
Alan

Barry Megdal

Alan, incredible images.  Especially the fine detail visible on the space station against the beautiful background.

  • Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Ross Elkins

Quite a busy Sun, great shot, Alan.

Greg Vaughn

Hi Alan,

As others have commented, your images are superb!   An inspiration to me, in particular, to pursue solar imaging past the stage of imaging just the sunspots with a Baader filter on my telescope.

The ISS is so sharp and the chrominance and prominences are also so well defined and sharp - it all combines to be a very impressive image.

The comparison between this year and last year is very telling.    There was a period last year that I didn’t even check the sunspots, knowing there would be nothing to see.   Now, the Sun is rich with sunspots – and I’d sure like to be able to image in a similar manner.

Again, WOW!  Nice work.   Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Greg

p.s. I have chosen to get the collections of posts and feel that I’m a little late to the party – apologize for any duplication, but I also wanted to make sure I said how much I enjoyed these images!

Greg Vaughn

Alexandria, VA

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Alan,

These images are a great inspiration to all of us.  Absolutely stunning.  I am for sure going to check out some solar imaging with the Stowaway.  Thank you for the post.

They brought me out of a lurking period.

R Botero

Just beautiful Alan!👍

Roberto

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi Alan,

thanks for sharing this stunning images. Can you tell how you menage to get such a sharp H-Alpha sun with the ISS in a one shot image. The seeing conditions must have been absolutely superb. Or is this image a result of adding multiple images with one that has the iss in it.
I would like to see your setup.

Grüsse

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 23.06.2022 um 00:47 schrieb Alan Friedman <alan@...>:

Hi all,

I brought my f5 Stowaway and 400 mount about 10 miles from home yesterday for a meet-up with the sun and the ISS. It was an adventure I’ve done before - most recently on June 21, 2020, exactly two years ago. I had pretty good conditions both times.

The space station looks pretty much the same as it did two years ago. Our Sun was a different story altogether which moved me to do a comparison of the two captures side by side. Two years ago we were still in the depths of solar minimum. Yesterday the sun sported a bunch of active regions, large filaments - even a fast moving exploding prominence to welcome the 1/2 second flyby of the space station’s dragonfly silhouette.

Hope you enjoy the sunshine!

Best wishes,
Alan

Ray

Wow just WOW!!! Love it.  Makes me think to sell my PST and buy an H-Alpha Solar filter for my Stowaway

Alan Friedman

Many thanks to all for your nice comments… happy to hear them. I will write back shortly to the technical questions (busy morning!)

Clear skies and best wishes,
Alan