The Quest and the Solution – New Product Announcement

At last, our exciting news:

The Quest:  Design the largest, fast, highly-corrected, airline transportable refractor that can cover a full-format CMOS chip with pinpoint stars to the corners when coupled to its matched Telecompressor-Corrector and provide superb visual performance.

The Solution: 110mm StarFire GTX with its optional Telecompressor-Corrector ready for your next astronomical adventure near or far. Perfect for the 2024 eclipse and a quick and easy scope for any night or day you have a few hours available to observe.

Check out our new webpage with preliminary details that will be updated as final tweaks are made to the mechanical design.

In order to give everyone an equal chance to obtain this versatile scope, we plan to use the same random-drawing format that we used for the 92mm Stowaway. After we establish the price and have more details regarding the case, Telecompressor-Corrector, and other accessories, we will announce the signup for the random drawing. During the week-long signup period, you will have an opportunity to enter and submit your contact information. From this group of interested people, we will randomly choose those who will be notified of the opportunity to purchase a 110mm StarFire GTX.

If you are interested, watch for announcements on the Availability tab of 110mm webpage, in this forum, on our Facebook page and our newsletter. If you would like to receive our newsletter so that you don’t have to be vigilant about watching the website or forum, you can sign up in the black banner at the bottom of our website.   https://www.astro-physics.com/

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com
Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/astrophysicscorp

Here is the direct link:

https://www.astro-physics.com/110gtx

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com
[...]

Ram

Very exciting!
Are you going to give people from the old Traveler list a first shot at this?

Jun Luo

Love the specs! I want this to be my new traveler!

Chris White

An f5 550mm (with compressor) with fully corrected circle that supports full frame and 3.76um pixels?

This looks like quite and accomplishment Roland. Very exciting indeed!  I will keep my eye out for the sign up announcement.

I'd be very interested in putting this bad boy to the test!

Congrats AP!

Joel Short

For the first time ever, I think I'll put my name in the sign up lottery.  This is like reverse gambling.  Instead of a win where I get a pile of money, if I win I will give a pile of money away...and still rejoice in the "win"!  :)
joel

Yuxuan Wang

Will definitely sign up for the random drawing! Interesting it’s not called the new Traveler, along with the Stowaway and the Starfire. :-)

Ray

Super exiting news! AP just made my day!!

Regards!

Ray

Sébastien Doré

So cool to have the technical design details ! Can't wait to put my name in!

Sébastien

Pete Lardizabal

🤗🤗🤗

On May 20, 2022, at 5:34 PM, Marj Christen <Marj@...> wrote:

[...]

KHursh

Oh man. This is hard. It's the same focal length as my Stowaway, but with a much bigger focuser to allow a fully illuminated and corrected image with a reducer. BabyStarFire will be amazing for wide field imaging. With a full frame sensor, it will fit all of the Andromeda galaxy with room. I can't believe how great it looks on the Mach2. There goes the bank account... if I can get lucky again.

Ryan Weiss

I love this announcement.  I've lusted over the Traveler since they were still being offered for sale.  Too bad I was a poor high school student back then.  This time, there is nothing holding me back..

Of course, it is a little redundant with my Stowaway, but I'm sure I'll find a use for both.

Moshen Chan

This is exactly what I’m looking for as I image with the ASI6200MM full frame sensor. My only wish is some built in way to adjust tilt on the scope, either at the lens cell or focuser to allow us to dial out any remaining mechanical tilt in the scope due to tolerance stacking.

Thanks AP team, I hope I win the raffle!

Moshen

On May 20, 2022, at 2:34 PM, Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

[...]

HI Moshen

Just curiosu does the ASI6200's built-in tilt plate meet your need, or are you saying you need something else?

Brian

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 6:52 PM Moshen Chan <moshenext@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 09:53 PM, Brian Valente wrote:
HI Moshen

Just curiosu does the ASI6200's built-in tilt plate meet your need, or are you saying you need something else?

Brian

The tilt plate on camera is a pretty crude device, and depending on what your image train is, you cant always access the screws easily.

I've tested the Gerd CTU out extensively, and its a great unit.  The screws are pretty high resolution and one full rotation adds only 200 microns of spacing, so pretty easy to dial in to a very fine level with 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 of a turn adjustments.  With the new 110 it looks like backspacing is reduced to 85mm, so the Gerd might not be able to fit for some people (17.3mm thick).

I've also extensively tested the Octopi, which in my opinion is the best tilt device available.  With QHY600 it takes up no additional backspacing, and with the QHY268 and ZWO cameras it only takes up about 3.5mm of spacing.  The threads are 200tpi, so you get about 125 microns per revolution.   With my image train I can get this, the FW and OAG and PP adapter all inside 76mm or so.

Moshen Chan

The ASI6200M built in tilt plate is very crude but it does work to dial out any tilt in the sensor. However if there’s small amounts of tilt in the scope itself (from lens cell down to focuser) then you’d want to ideally dial that out in the scope itself instead of at the sensor. Otherwise when you rotate the camera or move the camera to another scope you’d have tilt issues again.

Moshen

--

Chris White

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 10:08 PM, Moshen Chan wrote:
The ASI6200M built in tilt plate is very crude but it does work to dial out any tilt in the sensor. However if there’s small amounts of tilt in the scope itself (from lens cell down to focuser) then you’d want to ideally dial that out in the scope itself instead of at the sensor. Otherwise when you rotate the camera or move the camera to another scope you’d have tilt issues again.

Moshen

In all of my testing with the GTX and dialing out tilt in the image train I've never experienced tilt in the Scope itself, always in the adapters/connections/sensor downstream from the flattening optics. Rotating in the doveloc has never nullified any tilt adjustment I have had.   Roland can address this better than me, but I dont think that tilted elements are likely to be a problem even with traveling with the scope.  Have you had challenges with this in the past?

Wenhan Chang

I second that the ASI6200 built-in tilt plate (and the standalone ZWO M68 tilt plate) is very crude, and has severe light-leaking issue. Though Gaffer tape helps.

Best,
Wenhan

Bill Long

It is not redundant with the Stowaway, at least not IMO.

I love this announcement.  I've lusted over the Traveler since they were still being offered for sale.  Too bad I was a poor high school student back then.  This time, there is nothing holding me back..

Of course, it is a little redundant with my Stowaway, but I'm sure I'll find a use for both.

wes Bolin

Can you look through it?
Wes