From: Andrew Arai <andrewarai@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] M27 - Dumbell Nebula or Bat Nebula? #photo-notice

I posted two versions of M27 on Astrobin. I had a hard time dealing with the incredible dynamic range of the image. I explained what I did and why I did it in the description of the image. AP EDFGT 130 riding on a Mach1 for 11.5 hours. The image was acquired with a ZWO ASI 2600mc (one-shot color but includes a lot of narrowband data). O-iii was much easier than H-alpha as I only effectively use 1/4 of the pixels for H-alpha but 1/2 the pixels for each O-iii acquisition.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

https://astrob.in/full/a9e7ij/B/

Andrew

Stuart

Andrew, I think you should be pretty happy with that! You really got the outer halo nicely. It looks like you stretched it hard. There is noise in the halo and transition to the background but that halo is faint so hard to avoid.

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 22:32, Andrew Arai <andrewarai@...> wrote:
I posted two versions of M27 on Astrobin. I had a hard time dealing with the incredible dynamic range of the image. I explained what I did and why I did it in the description of the image. AP EDFGT 130 riding on a Mach1 for 11.5 hours. The image was acquired with a ZWO ASI 2600mc (one-shot color but includes a lot of narrowband data). O-iii was much easier than H-alpha as I only effectively use 1/4 of the pixels for H-alpha but 1/2 the pixels for each O-iii acquisition.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

https://astrob.in/full/a9e7ij/B/

Andrew

Roland Christen

I have to say, both those images that you posted are great. Your images are actually better than the one I captured last night with my 12" F10 Mak-Cass in our heavily light polluted skies.

I posted two versions of M27 on Astrobin. I had a hard time dealing with the incredible dynamic range of the image. I explained what I did and why I did it in the description of the image. AP EDFGT 130 riding on a Mach1 for 11.5 hours. The image was acquired with a ZWO ASI 2600mc (one-shot color but includes a lot of narrowband data). O-iii was much easier than H-alpha as I only effectively use 1/4 of the pixels for H-alpha but 1/2 the pixels for each O-iii acquisition.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

https://astrob.in/full/a9e7ij/B/

Andrew

ROBERT WYNNE

Wow. -Best, Robert

On 09/29/2021 7:25 PM Andrew Arai <andrewarai@...> wrote:

I posted two versions of M27 on Astrobin. I had a hard time dealing with the incredible dynamic range of the image. I explained what I did and why I did it in the description of the image. AP EDFGT 130 riding on a Mach1 for 11.5 hours. The image was acquired with a ZWO ASI 2600mc (one-shot color but includes a lot of narrowband data). O-iii was much easier than H-alpha as I only effectively use 1/4 of the pixels for H-alpha but 1/2 the pixels for each O-iii acquisition.

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

https://astrob.in/full/a9e7ij/B/

Andrew

Andrew Arai

Thank you for all the kind words from Roland, Stuart and Robert. I really appreciate the expertise on the AP user groups and learn a lot from you all. I only see two solutions to Stuart's observations on the residual noise - many more hours of H-alpha or perhaps trying an alternative way of separating stars and nebula that someone recently mentioned...

Andrew

Lee Dodge

Andrew-

Your "Original" version looks more like what I am used to seeing for M27, so I guess that would be my preference.

Lee